C3 Architect Request list

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:34 am

jayderyu wrote:@HeadClot
Unfortunately Ashley feels that layout asset management should only be his responsibility. He feels that loading and unloading assets would confuse newer developers and they would complain. The complaint being that this would 100% create popin and popout issues. However this pop in/out is normal and require zone buffering and level design to avoid players seeing pop in/out. however since that requires people to take that into account in design and would be a more advanced development feature, Ashley for that reason has elected to not allow it. So yeah. We have made the request. but I doubt it's one we will see it until it more of the community becomes vocal. But C3 may allow better developer control to do so anyways. It's just a matter of seeing what comes from C3.

hmmm...

I am going to be brutally Honest -
That really turns me off from even buying C3. If you fear new people will complain. Tell them to go and read the documentation.
If at all possible give the advanced users options to enable what we want to load and unload in our scenes via Sublayers or whatever.

Also -

I was reading some where that multiplayer was not a big success in C2 and may not be included in C3. Is this true?
I cannot remember where for the life of me i read this.

I might buy C3 when more details become available but not sure yet.
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 am

I think the problem here is two-fold:

1. Dynamic loading would be a difficult thing to 'streamline', as is Ashley's wont with most features (and thank goodness, as that's what makes C2 so usable).

2. Moreover, most users wouldn't ever touch these features. I would estimate 95% of people would go 'cool! I can build GTA now!'...and that would be about it. Building a game huge enough to need such features is a tough wall to climb all by itself.

So it's probably hard to justify spending a bunch of time adding such features.

Still...it would be really, really great to have an internal behavior like 'nickname'. That would come in very handy.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:52 am

TiAm wrote:I think the problem here is two-fold:

1. Dynamic loading would be a difficult thing to 'streamline', as is Ashley's wont with most features (and thank goodness, as that's what makes C2 so usable).

2. Moreover, most users wouldn't ever touch these features. I would estimate 95% of people would go 'cool! I can build GTA now!'...and that would be about it. Building a game huge enough to need such features is a tough wall to climb all by itself.

So it's probably hard to justify spending a bunch of time adding such features.

Still...it would be really, really great to have an internal behavior like 'nickname'. That would come in very handy.

Honestly I think I can agree with this. :)
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:02 pm

-Layout Navigator: an optional minimap

- as we are on minimap - a mnimap plugin

- Buttons for zoom in/out layout ( like + and - next to scroll bar )
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:18 pm

duuuuh, now I remember why Ashley won't implement it. Ok first I stand by my prior statement of popup. However there was another reason.
request-quot-unload-from-memory-quot-action_t121551?&hilit=unload&start=10

JS doesn't support asynchronous asset loading. Which means popup or not the image will cause the game to freeze. Now I still feel this is a worth implementing and can be a consequence and just part of the game design. I also searched up and there is a way to asynchronous load. Which is now added to the document.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:39 pm

Moar suggestions

Grouping layouts - can be as simple as folders, but would be very helpful in workflow, in editing and in game design.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:02 pm

So the document is up to 23 pages. 24 with some sectional white space. More than I thought it would reach. I'm not sure that's a good thing though :D
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 pm

megatronx wrote:Grouping layouts - can be as simple as folders, but would be very helpful in workflow, in editing and in game design.

Grouping layouts? Something different than currently is in C2 (in Projects panel)?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:17 pm

@jayderyu
Don't want to mess with your file, so I just gonna put it in here

Cartesian Layouts - Yes! I think layout in overall should not have any limits. It should be an infinite space where you place objects and control how you want to display them.
I'm just thinking out loud here, but some sort of Camera object could be nice. In that object you would have options to set game screen size (like current layout size), set position, etc... And be able to actually see in editor what you will see in runtime. Multiple camera objects = switching between them on the fly, object following etc... Like MagiCam build into a editor.
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:02 pm

A popup window would be good when you open a c3 .capx with an addon that you dont have.
It contains a list of missing addons, optimaly its a direct link to a marketplace or something like that.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General