C3 not ready

From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.

So, today I purchased the 1 year membership for C3, using an iPad 12.9 inch 512g latest model, there are tons of non functional items.

1) cloud save, plane broken, doesn’t work on iPad

2) load any project, none runs, gives error on all projects

3) no way to save, every time it tries to do a pop up window that refreshes C3 window, logs you out, and you lose all work

This is just the beginning, but wait to get it if you want to use your tablets, it’s still alpha material for iPad.

Going to see if my desktop has all the same problems.

And yes, I opened up a bug report with screenshots, but these are the most elemental needs that are boasted as features, but they simply don’t work.

iPad error on play:

Failed to load preview, try loading construct3 and try again.

Options:

Try again

Cancel

Attempt to clear safari cache and reload C3, same problem.

C3 login does not save user information, even with check box checked for remember credentials, causing user to have to type in credentials every time.

App focus issue:

You can’t change focus to another app then back to C3, this causes C3 to refresh, log you out, loose all your work.

Like me, I have drawing and animation apps open to create work for my game, switching to them then back to C3 I have to log back in to C3 and start over. Can’t save any work, this causes C3 to resresh, logs you out, you loose all your work.

Sample projects are missing graphics when you retrieve them from the start page, when you click on Open Project, not all of the project assets are downloaded and are missing.

When using Cloud Save on a computer, google drive for instance, it doesn't remember last location of projects, it takes forever to load the directory list, and so far on Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Pro, the games failed to run 2 out of 3 times when you click play, the index.html page is just a blank page, using the sample ghost shooter as the test subject.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads

The main problem with Safari right now is Apple just released Safari 11.1 which has a severe bug that breaks Construct 3. We've filed a report with Apple who are working on it: https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=184502

We're doing our best to patch Construct 3 to avoid the issue in Safari. The latest r95 includes a workaround, but it may take some time to get right, since an essential feature is simply non-functional in Safari 11.1. I must point out that it is Safari that is broken, not Construct 3. Despite that we are working hard to get Construct 3 back to normal in Safari. It's quite frustrating for us since Apple are a multi-billion dollar corporation with thousands of engineers, and their software is broken; we have three developers (one of whom is currently off sick), and Apple's mistake here has left us in a spot of bother. I apologise for the inconvenience, but we are actively trying to sort things out.

For the time being I'd recommend using Chrome on a desktop system where everything should be working smoothly.

This article was made for you...

https://www.construct.net/gb/blogs/ashl ... k-case-948

Well, not quite.

This is exactly a situation that many have brought up when arguing against having Construct 3 as a browser app. You cannot control what Apple or Google or whoever else do. So maybe Apple screwed up, but Scirra screwed up when they decided to rely on Apple.

There's nothing about this that is specific to browsers. Take a look at this tool that broke with the High Sierra update - and it's all native code. Would you accuse them of screwing up for "relying on Apple" too? Are you absolving Apple of any mistakes they could ever make and determined to pin everything that could ever go wrong in the industry solely on us?

No, I would blame Apple, but relying on browsers you will have a higher failure rate. That's not even questionable. You have 2 points of possible failure. OS itself and browser code. If you don't rely on browsers then you only have OS issues. It's not rocket science.

As for Apple, they are imbeciles who have never tested anything properly ( they only seem to test their own programs running on their own OS and even that they get wrong way too often ). Going back 10 years or so, I can recall them breaking numerous programs, mostly through quicktime; Maya, Lightwave 3D, a number of video editing and compositing programs as well. And they have done it on their own OS and Windows.

Windows updates sometimes break things too, but it has been nowhere near the idiocy I've seen with Apple.

As you say: [quote:1100ku2c] Apple are a multi-billion dollar corporation with thousands of engineers, and their software is broken

Given that, HTF is it possible to release software that constantly breaks things. Bugs are one thing, but this is on a completely different level. Do they recruit their software engineers directly from special ed classrooms? Seems to be.

So, no I blame them, not you, but if it were me, I would try to develop software with as few dependencies as possible. That I guess means standalone on Windows first, then browser versions. Wouldn't even bother with Apple version, let them use one of the browser versions.

So then do you only blame Apple when Apple break their OS, but blame us when Apple break their browser?

I suppose you think we should have written native apps for every OS simply to bypass the odd browser bug? Then we can say goodbye to all our customers on Chrome OS, Android, iOS, and Linux, none of which are viable to support with a native/separate codebase. Losing Chrome OS would stymie our appeal in the education market. And then we'd still end up dealing with Apple breaking things in macOS, or Microsoft changing things in Windows (which even affected C2 recently). And then our development would slow down so much with the extra workload that additional projects like the C3 runtime would simply be off the cards.

Do you think we should have chosen that route? Personally, I am super glad we went with browser-based software, even if it means dealing with browser issues sometimes.

You answered after I added, basically my answer to that.

Nothing wrong with your browser version approach, but like I said above. Stable windows version ( standalone ) first, then a browser version that would cover people using macs, etc.... makes more sense to me.

So then do you only blame Apple when Apple break their OS, but blame us when Apple break their browser?[/code:1f78lsni]

Not at all what I said. I blame them in both cases, but you at least double your chances of things going wrong by taking the browser app approach.

Nothing wrong with your browser version approach, but like I said above. Stable windows version ( standalone ) first, then a browser version that would cover people using macs, etc.... makes more sense to me.

So... because of a bug in a browser that isn't supported at all on Windows... you think we should have made a Windows app first?

I think you need a nap. That is not at all what I am saying.

Given that 95% of your customers are on Windows it makes sense to concentrate on making sure you have a stable standalone on Windows.

After that is done do whatever you want with browsers and other OS.

You still cover everything just as you have now, but it would be Windows version first, then the rest ( and I am sure that is what almost everybody here wanted anyway ).

[quote:b8oaqtuf]So... because of a bug in a browser that isn't supported at all on Windows... you think we should have made a Windows app first?

No, but one day it will be a bug by Google and it will take down all of your customers who regularly update their Chrome browsers without thinking.

I think you need a nap. That is not at all what I am saying.

Given that 95% of your customers are on Windows it makes sense to concentrate on making sure you have a stable standalone on Windows.

After that is done do whatever you want with browsers and other OS.

You still cover everything just as you have now, but it would be Windows version first, then the rest ( and I am sure that is what almost everybody here wanted anyway ).

[quote:3qx91wtj]So... because of a bug in a browser that isn't supported at all on Windows... you think we should have made a Windows app first?

No, but one day it will be a bug by Google and it will take down all of your customers who regularly update their Chrome browsers without thinking.

You knew that you bought a web based tool before you paid. And it is covered in tons of threads, so quit this complaining now.

First you blamed us for relying on Apple with software that runs in Safari, then you suggested making a Windows app and leaving macOS users using Safari, which would not actually solve the original problem that you blamed us for. So even if we do what you suggest, you can continue to blame us in the way you previously did. Therefore I think your only intent is to go round blaming us for anything you can. On that basis, I'm closing this thread.

zumwaltwood - apologies for closing your thread but we are continuing investigation on the bug tracker here: https://github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/1493

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)