C3 plugins backwards compatibility question.

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • Ashley

The C3 website says that it will be backwards compatible with C2. Does this extend to 3rd party plugins?

There are a couple of .js libs that i'd like to make as plugins but i'm not sure if it's worth the cost and effort of development if they won't work or have to be rewritten.

Can you please clarify, thanks.

• The C3 editor is being rewritten, and accordingly the edittime.js script will need to be changed. (This part was not well designed anyway and I think everyone would agree having more capabilities and a clearer API there would be useful.) However the runtime side should still work unmodified.

• So does this mean that if you attempted to load a .capx in C3 with a C2 3rd party plugin that it would not load, or it would load but you wouldn't be able to edit the events?

• probably plugins will need an update.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • After just buying my C3 license and trying to load in an existing product, I just discovered this MAJOR issue.

I have a JSON plugin that is core to my project and; as the JSON plugin is no longer supported, I'll never have it in C3 flavour. This of course means my project cannot be imported into C3.

Not only that, but there doesn't seem to be any JSON plugins for C3 available. In fact, the C3 plugins page is extremely sparse even a year after it's initial release. Personally, there are some 3rd party plugin functionalities that are essential (such as the JSON one) and I'm gutted that C3 cant load them.

Does anyone know any work arounds apart from just going back to C2?

Cheers

• Grimmy

You can do it with the browser plugin's execjs action and expression. The only learning curve is dealing with quotation marks ("). You'll want to use single quotes instead ('), or use "" when you want to use a " in Construct expressions.

Anyways here's an example:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhxb4e6eoypih ... .capx?dl=1

There really is no reason to use a json plugin, other than error catching i suppose.

• What R0J0hound said. If you really need a plugin, Rex comes to your rescue:

plugin

https://github.com/rexrainbow/C3Plugins ... s/rex_hash

docs

https://rexrainbow.github.io/C2RexDoc/c ... _hash.html

• [quote:1eqqr8ms]You can do it with the browser plugin's execjs action and expression. The only learning curve is dealing with quotation marks ("). You'll want to use single quotes instead ('), or use "" when you want to use a " in Construct expressions.

This is all great. Thank rou. In your example I don't quite understand where you declare your 'myVar' variable though. Is this declared in an external .js file or something?

Thanks for taking the trouble!

• It’s declared in the first start of layout. “global” is the global object and we add myvar to it by assigning something to with global.myvar=. After that you can just use myvar instead of global.myvar.

• Hmm, not sure this will work because I'm receiving my data directly from an AJAX request. It looks like s you are defining your JSON within the app itself. I cant figure this one out. (?)

• If you look at one of the disabled lines I have that case covered.

Execute js “global.myvar=“&textbox.text

You could just as well do an Ajax request and then do

Execute js “global.myvar=“&ajax.lastData

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)