C3 runtime discussion.

Post » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Finally got a chance to play around with the C3 runtime and I'm quite impressed. There seem to be some major performance boosts in almost all areas..... except one.

Frame animations

I ran the quad issue performance test with and with and without animations. I just duplicated the first frame of the Sprite object to have a 3 framelooped animation.

C2 runtime without animations - 94.000 @ 30fps
C2 runtime with animations - 54.000 @ 30fps

C3 runtime without animations - 111.000 @ 30fps
C3 runtime with animations - 49.000 @ 30fps

Stopping animations or switching to another animation did not increase framerate much either. Setting all the animated sprites to invisible reset the fps to 60. @Ashley is this something that will see some performance improvements as well. Just out of curiousity, what's the main reason frame animations has that big of a performance hit?

It seems like once Animations are started they never really stop. They will continue to have a pefromance hit, as long as they persist, or have visibility set to visible.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
S
G

Post » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:54 pm

tunepunk wrote:Just out of curiousity, what's the main reason frame animations has that big of a performance hit?

In that test, each sprite takes on the order of a few hundred CPU cycles. So even tiny amounts of extra work will look like a big performance hit.

The work to tick animations ought to stop when the animation stops, but if you leave the animation playing it will have to keep ticking the animation, which will show up as a performance impact.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:54 pm

No fair..I wanna play...... Im getting black screen on all projects (no 3rd p plugins) (including the scirra game demos) with c3 runtime.... :( (Work computer - Windows 7 Chrome 57).
edit: Cheers Ashley I saw your reply on the blog. Yes r95.2 I just tried briefly on work computer which are pretty customized and locked down so will have a proper play tonight with my own gear at home. Its amazing that you have pushed it out already. Nice one.
NOTE: There is a high a probability that I am wrong.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:44 am

On my Mac I've been having no issues with it. (Running Chrome)
Tested it on version 95 on iPhone 8 running latest update. No issues. Then when a patch got released to fix the issues others are having R95.2 I no longer can run it on iOS. So kinda strange in that regard. (It goes to editor.construct.net/R95-2)

FOr testing, so far the particles on C3 seems to running quite smooth and I pushed it quita a lot. I took the standard included test but created a lot of additional particles. Running 10 000 particles on screen and not getting close to maxing CPU.

Question: Why does it say GPU na? Does those tests not use GPU at all?
Can one enable it to force it to use the dedicated GPU?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:43 am

At home on windows 10 my project does indeed load up and run (chrome) , However I wasnt really able to gauge any performance gains as many of the layers were not being displayed and anytime I touched the joypad the game froze. (something about null "length" in dev tools). Keyboard commands didn't seem to work either but mouse was good. This is not a complaint, I understand it is alpha, just FYI. Its great to see it running.

My time is very limited recently but I will try to swap over to C3 runtime from time to time to help identify bugs and what not so we can get this bad-boy fully up an running ASAP.
NOTE: There is a high a probability that I am wrong.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to General Discussion