C3 testimonials

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • It struck me today: C3 is officially out of beta!

That's great news. Before I change from C2 to C3, I would like to know how your experience with C3 is.

Especially:

• Is the export to mobile functioning flawlessly?
    • Are mobile ads and IAP functioning flawlessly?
    • Did you run into any bugs or complications when trying to finish a project with C3?

I want to avoid paying for another software and then running into bugs.

• So far I think the biggest bug is that big red X on the right.

• Ashley Sorry to bother you. According to the C3 website https://www.construct.net/de/make-games/features/make-steam-games , it is possible to export games to Steam.

Currently, there is no documentation whatsoever on how to do this (as far as I know). I think one would export as an Universal Windows App and then contact the Steam support. If that is the case, the statement 'export to Steam possible' is misleading to customers as long as there are no further clarifying information.

On the website, when I click on the text saying 'More about Steam/iOS/Android' it simply redirects me to the top of the page. Are there more tutorials/manual entries to come?

• CreativeMind

Nwjs is what you use for Windows, Linux, and Apple Desktop.

They cover the Steam export.

• I don't think this is the place, but I dislike and am not interested in C3 because of the choice to make it only work in the browser instead of stand alone desktop application. Is that how it will remain or is there any plan to make a desktop version?

• I don't think this is the place, but I dislike and am not interested in C3 because of the choice to make it only work in the browser instead of stand alone desktop application. Is that how it will remain or is there any plan to make a desktop version?

There is a desktop version coming for C3. I don't think it's too far off.

i dont understand the hangups with the browser app.

I fully admit i was a bit skeptical at first and yes there are still a few bugs / issues to iron out and im still a bit uncomfortable with the saving methods....but....

.... overall, it works real nice, and compared to C2 , it looks better, feels better, scales better from screen to screen, is more responsive, quicker to load, ui is cleaner, you can go full screen and have events sheet really top to bottom of screen, ........it works offline , will always be up to date on line, i can access it from pretty much any reasonably modern device from anywhere in the world ..... it also seamlessly transfers to a mobile touch interface to work beautifully on my android mobile phone wtf !!!!.....

all of a sudden, downloading and installing an exe onto a windows OS feels archaic

• NetOne Desktop version has better copy/paste and you can't use external image editor for sprite editing with Browser. Those things make the iteration process slower. That's why I still prefer C2 even though I've C3 subscription.

• Just found out that there still is no native share for Facebook/Twitter on mobile. Sad.

newt Thanks for the info.

• NetOne Desktop version has better copy/paste and you can't use external image editor for sprite editing with Browser. Those things make the iteration process slower. That's why I still prefer C2 even though I've C3 subscription.

the only copy paste difference ive noticed is that it confirms that you want to copy, as when you click copy on that object, you're really copying a script, and your computer is making sure that you know this, as some things will hide scripts so when you paste them they run malware.

this is not a issue with c3, but with the internet in general.

that aside, i believe you can turn that off.

also, once you've run it from the browser once, you can run it offline, which was my major concern as my internet disconnects a lot, but offline working is very nice.

honestly, i've seen a lot of people shit on construct, and say "i dont use it because x and y" , but x and y usually arent even real issues, just something they heard a friend say or read on a forum.

as for editing sprites, edit them on your desktop in the editor of your choice, then import.

i dont have a subscription, simply a registered account, and im more than happy with c3s capabilities, even with the hashed event limit. i recommend it to anyone i know interested in programming or games, and have made upwards of 30 seperate games and apps , though few of them are published. however, great software. keep it coming.

• the_Shit_hawk The copy/paste difference I mentioned is in the image editor. You can copy/paste sprites into Photoshop in C2.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know you can save the sprites from C3 image editor then edit with an external image editor then export it then import it to the C3

I really recommend you to use copy/paste sprite and external editor features in C3 Desktop when it's done.

BTW I love C3 and I'm waiting for the new runtime + desktop version to use it.

• > I don't think this is the place, but I dislike and am not interested in C3 because of the choice to make it only work in the browser instead of stand alone desktop application. Is that how it will remain or is there any plan to make a desktop version?

>

i dont understand the hangups with the browser app.

I fully admit i was a bit skeptical at first and yes there are still a few bugs / issues to iron out and im still a bit uncomfortable with the saving methods....but....

.... overall, it works real nice, and compared to C2 , it looks better, feels better, scales better from screen to screen, is more responsive, quicker to load, ui is cleaner, you can go full screen and have events sheet really top to bottom of screen, ........it works offline , will always be up to date on line, i can access it from pretty much any reasonably modern device from anywhere in the world ..... it also seamlessly transfers to a mobile touch interface to work beautifully on my android mobile phone wtf !!!!.....

all of a sudden, downloading and installing an exe onto a windows OS feels archaic

+1 to all this. C3 is a blast to use and I can't imagine going back to C2 at this point.

I was pretty annoyed when I first read C3 would be browser-based, because I'd had bad experiences with browser apps in the past. But having used the full beta version of C3 for the better part of a year I really like it. Not having to install anything is nice, and if you're using Chrome you can easily create a desktop shortcut so C3 runs in its own window, which does away with all the "browsery" stuff like toolbars and the browser menus. In terms of look and feel it's then behaving just like a standalone app. The only severe problem I've had with it is if a website script crashes Chrome, it'll take down C3 with it, but this happened exactly once in the entire time I've been using it.

As has been mentioned they are eventually planning a desktop version which hopefully makes people drop this concern, but at this point I'm not sure if I'd even bother with it. I'd suggest just trying the free version, and setting it to launch from your desktop. After you open C3 in Chrome, click the line of vertical dots in the upper-right corner (Customize and control Google Chrome), choose "More tools", then "Add to desktop", and leave "Open as window" checked. Launch that sucker from your desktop and see what you think!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Not bashing C3 here (I'm excited for the new software), just my honest opinion: To me, C3 just seems like a polished version of C2.

1. Yes, C3 is browser-based and can be accessed on the go. But I do not care because I use C2 on my work laptop at home, there is no need for mobile access.

2. Yes, C3 provides an Android build. But I get the same result when using Cocoon IO (besides a splash screen). In addition to that, I don't have to pay anything using Cocoon, which saves me 139$ a year.

3. Yes, C3 provides a new dark-coloured theme. People... I don't care what color the interface has.

4. The C3 website plights easy export to Android, not directly stating that you still have to sign your apps afterwards. That's just a waste of time for people who know how to do this and a big obstacle for people who do not know how to sign an app.

5. There is no tutorial on how to export to iOS, as far as I know. I feel like there is less emphasis on iOS export.

6. There still is no native share function for mobile apps. So even if you publish an app, your distribution sucks.

Let me be clear here: I am using C2 to publish apps and to make money. I want C3 to be good, because it has a lot of potential! But currently, there are major issues preventing C3 from being a software suitable for business use.

If the following points are fullfilled:

• Give me an included APK signer for Android builds!
    • Show me how to export to iOS! Make it as easy as possible!
    • Let me share my mobile apps on Facebook and Twitter!

I will gladly give you my money and recommend this software to other people. Till then, I won't.

• Not bashing C3 here (I'm excited for the new software), just my honest opinion: To me, C3 just seems like a polished version of C2.

1. Yes, C3 is browser-based and can be accessed on the go. But I do not care because I use C2 on my work laptop at home, there is no need for mobile access.

2. Yes, C3 provides an Android build. But I get the same result when using Cocoon IO (besides a splash screen). In addition to that, I don't have to pay anything using Cocoon, which saves me 139$ a year.

3. Yes, C3 provides a new dark-coloured theme. People... I don't care what color the interface has.

4. The C3 website plights easy export to Android, not directly stating that you still have to sign your apps afterwards. That's just a waste of time for people who know how to do this and a big obstacle for people who do not know how to sign an app.

5. There is no tutorial on how to export to iOS, as far as I know. I feel like there is less emphasis on iOS export.

6. There still is no native share function for mobile apps. So even if you publish an app, your distribution sucks.

Let me be clear here: I am using C2 to publish apps and to make money. I want C3 to be good, because it has a lot of potential! But currently, there are major issues preventing C3 from being a software suitable for business use.

If the following points are fullfilled:

• Give me an included APK signer for Android builds!
    • Show me how to export to iOS! Make it as easy as possible!
    • Let me share my mobile apps on Facebook and Twitter!

I will gladly give you my money and recommend this software to other people. Till then, I won't.

the signer isnt built in, which would be nice

however, theres forums, tutorials, and youtube to learn how to export to ios. the functionality is there;

as well as the functionality to share your apps. you can make games geared towards facebook, you just have to host them on your own, i dont see too much of an issue with that, scirra is an editor not a hosting service, which is partly why they give us the arcade section. i see where you're coming from though. however, compared to paragraphs of actual code theyve done a great job. and if im correct they migrated all (or most) of c2 to a new language, so think of it as a prototype. if people invest in c3 it adds resources for a potential c4, which as theyd already have the base, they could make updates like crazy. tbh their workflow is pretty consistent. they update regularly, and though they may not live in the forums, they keep up on maintenance. overall, great company, great software. cant wait to see where it goes.

• the_Shit_hawk I agree, hats off to Scirra for their consistent workflow and for the many updates.

I was not talking about publishing a game as a Facebook game, but as a mobile app where people can share their scores and achievements on Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter etc. per one click. Cocoon IO actually does provide such a plugin.

To me it seems like Scirra does not have business organisations in mind when developing their software. Come on, am I supposed to publish a mobile app without any share function? For commercial use, I can't take C3 seriously. It's great for toying around and producing prototypes though. That seems to suit the majority of C2 / C3 users.

Yes, of course there are tutorials on the internet somewhere on how to publish to iOS, sadly not on the C3 website. Why would I buy C3 if I have to take care of such things myself anymway? I'd rather learn a new computer language and do it all myself.

I'm being hard to C3. I do so because I want this software to evolve and to succeed, as working with C2 was quick and easy and I'd love to be able to make some money out of it, too.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)