Can I make same artistic style?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

I'm on the designing part of the development of my game Stupid Chickens 3, and I really got inspired from the Angry Bird artistic so I want to make the artistic style the same but graphic and design different in a way (The trees are different , the title , etc...) . The point is that this is not an Angry Bird clone and it is different kind of game, but when I posted the image of the title screen on facebook indie group some people said that this is Angry Birds rip off. The question is can't I make the same artistic style or it is wrong?
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:38 pm

You're not copying a style you're copying an image.

You can't copyright a colour palette or art style, but you can copyright an image. You might legally get away with it but its still an obvious copy of angry birds and users will rightly call you out on it.

Also ask yourself how you would feel if you'd come up with the original then another person came along and made an identical copy? Do you think this will positively or negatively impact your reputation?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:03 pm

Not to mention you've titled it similarly. Hundreds of shooters have similar styles, but you are nearly copying Angry Birds in nearly every aspect save for apparently gameplay. At least use a different color scheme or SOMETHING that people can identify as yours.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:26 pm

id say the same thing as the people above... but you have to take in consideration that your art is slightly much more different then just copy paste and adjust a tint ... as long you have the illustrator files where you composed all the image parts your ok to go .. no matter how the image looks like .. you can make a a 100% clone look a like.. as long you made the graphics .. there are plenty of clones that does it exact way just main characters or some parts are a bit different .. and the developers of angry birds... wont bother to come after you... its peanuts for them ... they'l probably consider it ... free advertising .. cause in the end.. people will play their game since has more fame and versions ... however you might not be able to monetize ur game ... you have to read the terms and conditions of some specific people who made the game

instead of bothering with a rip off id probably use the same game logic and make a unique character set with a unique theme ... like ... Zeus and other gods.. miniaturized in the angry birds style ... and the story wold be .. the run for Olympus or smth ... dont know ... depends on ur imagination and budget for graphics ...

Publishers: Rovio Entertainment, Activision, LucasArts, Chillingo
Designers: Jaakko Iisalo, Markus Tuppurainen, Peter Urbanics
Developers: Rovio Entertainment, Chimera Entertainment, more
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:01 pm

no matter how the image looks like .. you can make a a 100% clone look a like.. as long you made the graphics

No. You could create "fan art" but you couldn't use an exact copy of someones image in a commercial game no matter where that image came from or how it was produced unless you had permission.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Ethan wrote:
no matter how the image looks like .. you can make a a 100% clone look a like.. as long you made the graphics

No. You could create "fan art" but you couldn't use an exact copy of someones image in a commercial game no matter where that image came from or how it was produced unless you had permission.

fan art is implied when the guy who initially created the graphics patented or reserves the rights legally for that specific image and allows people to do derivatives without monetization possibility .. if im the first guy to create a drawing of a shoe lets say .. and not license it and keep the rights for myself .. everyone will be able to clone it or use it as long they have a source file and can prove in court they created that.

a simple online writing under the image saying u are not allowed is not taking in consideration in court ... unless u specifically registered the CC and the image on the websites that allow u to do that . so all the people on deviantart that do create art... they are not even aware of it.. lucky for them.. deviantart already has the terms and conditions setup for them ... and by default the license is built upon uploading.

however in this case.. the fan art is implied .. since the original artwork.. is registered and well known ...
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:20 pm

All original works are protected by copyright. Copyright is automatic, you don't need to register anything with anyone or display any text.

Whether or not you choose to rip someones work off and whether the original owner can prove it in a court of law is another matter, but it doesn't change the fact.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:41 am

Ethan wrote:
You're not copying a style you're copying an image.

Good artists copy, great artists steal. --Pablo Picasso
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:55 am

The quote doesn't mean what you're implying it does.

Anyway Picasso is always miss credited as saying it.

Real artists ship…
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:33 am

@gamecorpstudio @ethan @c-7 I made few tweaks and differences , it is better now?

ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas