Can I make same artistic style?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Slot Machine Games. suitable for workers who work from home because it has player names that must be played alternately
  • I'm on the designing part of the development of my game Stupid Chickens 3, and I really got inspired from the Angry Bird artistic so I want to make the artistic style the same but graphic and design different in a way (The trees are different , the title , etc...) . The point is that this is not an Angry Bird clone and it is different kind of game, but when I posted the image of the title screen on facebook indie group some people said that this is Angry Birds rip off. The question is can't I make the same artistic style or it is wrong?

• You're not copying a style you're copying an image.

You can't copyright a colour palette or art style, but you can copyright an image. You might legally get away with it but its still an obvious copy of angry birds and users will rightly call you out on it.

Also ask yourself how you would feel if you'd come up with the original then another person came along and made an identical copy? Do you think this will positively or negatively impact your reputation?

• Not to mention you've titled it similarly. Hundreds of shooters have similar styles, but you are nearly copying Angry Birds in nearly every aspect save for apparently gameplay. At least use a different color scheme or SOMETHING that people can identify as yours.

• id say the same thing as the people above... but you have to take in consideration that your art is slightly much more different then just copy paste and adjust a tint ... as long you have the illustrator files where you composed all the image parts your ok to go .. no matter how the image looks like .. you can make a a 100% clone look a like.. as long you made the graphics .. there are plenty of clones that does it exact way just main characters or some parts are a bit different .. and the developers of angry birds... wont bother to come after you... its peanuts for them ... they'l probably consider it ... free advertising .. cause in the end.. people will play their game since has more fame and versions ... however you might not be able to monetize ur game ... you have to read the terms and conditions of some specific people who made the game

instead of bothering with a rip off id probably use the same game logic and make a unique character set with a unique theme ... like ... Zeus and other gods.. miniaturized in the angry birds style ... and the story wold be .. the run for Olympus or smth ... dont know ... depends on ur imagination and budget for graphics ...

Publishers: Rovio Entertainment, Activision, LucasArts, Chillingo

Designers: Jaakko Iisalo, Markus Tuppurainen, Peter Urbanics

Developers: Rovio Entertainment, Chimera Entertainment, more

• [quote:2gzwfp22]no matter how the image looks like .. you can make a a 100% clone look a like.. as long you made the graphics

No. You could create "fan art" but you couldn't use an exact copy of someones image in a commercial game no matter where that image came from or how it was produced unless you had permission.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • [quote:3s7vlj1e]no matter how the image looks like .. you can make a a 100% clone look a like.. as long you made the graphics

No. You could create "fan art" but you couldn't use an exact copy of someones image in a commercial game no matter where that image came from or how it was produced unless you had permission.

fan art is implied when the guy who initially created the graphics patented or reserves the rights legally for that specific image and allows people to do derivatives without monetization possibility .. if im the first guy to create a drawing of a shoe lets say .. and not license it and keep the rights for myself .. everyone will be able to clone it or use it as long they have a source file and can prove in court they created that.

a simple online writing under the image saying u are not allowed is not taking in consideration in court ... unless u specifically registered the CC and the image on the websites that allow u to do that . so all the people on deviantart that do create art... they are not even aware of it.. lucky for them.. deviantart already has the terms and conditions setup for them ... and by default the license is built upon uploading.

however in this case.. the fan art is implied .. since the original artwork.. is registered and well known ...

• All original works are protected by copyright. Copyright is automatic, you don't need to register anything with anyone or display any text.

Whether or not you choose to rip someones work off and whether the original owner can prove it in a court of law is another matter, but it doesn't change the fact.

• You're not copying a style you're copying an image.

Good artists copy, great artists steal. --Pablo Picasso

• The quote doesn't mean what you're implying it does.

Anyway Picasso is always miss credited as saying it.

Real artists ship…

• Ethan C-7 I made few tweaks and differences , it is better now?

• Legally i think you shouldn't have a problem with it, however some people will still probably see similarities.

• Legally i think you shouldn't have a problem with it, however some people will still probably see similarities.

Which laws? Which country? Could you please be more verbose? If you are giving out legal advice, you should show your sources of information.I know laws in the Nordic countries are much different than the ones in America. That is why "The Pirate Bay" has lasted as long as it has. Please copy and paste the the law you are citing. (or link)

In the USA it really does not matter what the law says, the one who wins is the guy who payed the most for his lawyer 9/10.

• The berne convention international copyright agreement to which Lebanon, UK and USA have all signed. It's up to each party to enforce it so the law is different for each country but must still conform to the agreement.

Behold the power of google.

"The Berne Convention formally mandated several aspects of modern copyright law; it introduced the concept that a copyright exists the moment a work is "fixed", rather than requiring registration. It also enforces a requirement that countries recognize copyrights held by the citizens of all other signatory countries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention

• Ethan C-7 I made few tweaks and differences , it is better now?

looks perfect, Naji , dont worry Rovio wont come after you cause you made 10 $ from ads on a game that uses fan art ... thats the entire point i discussed here.... good luck

Ethan read this

Source: 17 USC Section 106.

Copyright does not apply to works in the public domain; words, names, slogans or short phrases (those may have protection in trademark law); blank forms; works that are not original; and government works. This is important to know because if the work is not protected by copyright, then there is no concern whether the Fair Use Doctrine will apply to allow you to use the work.

• Sounds like you misunderstand what "public domain" means because angry birds certainly isn't.

For something to be in the public domain the copyright need to expire or the copyright holder relinquishes claim to it.

Anyway i'm not going to continue arguing, i should know better than to get involved in things like this to begin with. All you guy's are cool so ignore me and do what you feel is right.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)