Can I make same artistic style?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:47 am

Legally i think you shouldn't have a problem with it, however some people will still probably see similarities.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Ethan wrote:Legally i think you shouldn't have a problem with it, however some people will still probably see similarities.

Which laws? Which country? Could you please be more verbose? If you are giving out legal advice, you should show your sources of information.I know laws in the Nordic countries are much different than the ones in America. That is why "The Pirate Bay" has lasted as long as it has. Please copy and paste the the law you are citing. (or link)

In the USA it really does not matter what the law says, the one who wins is the guy who payed the most for his lawyer 9/10.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:46 pm

The berne convention international copyright agreement to which Lebanon, UK and USA have all signed. It's up to each party to enforce it so the law is different for each country but must still conform to the agreement.

Behold the power of google.

"The Berne Convention formally mandated several aspects of modern copyright law; it introduced the concept that a copyright exists the moment a work is "fixed", rather than requiring registration. It also enforces a requirement that countries recognize copyrights held by the citizens of all other signatory countries."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 pm

Naji wrote:@gamecorpstudio @ethan @c-7 I made few tweaks and differences , it is better now?

looks perfect, Naji , dont worry Rovio wont come after you cause you made 10 $ from ads on a game that uses fan art ... thats the entire point i discussed here.... good luck

@Ethan read this

Source: 17 USC Section 106.
Copyright does not apply to works in the public domain; words, names, slogans or short phrases (those may have protection in trademark law); blank forms; works that are not original; and government works. This is important to know because if the work is not protected by copyright, then there is no concern whether the Fair Use Doctrine will apply to allow you to use the work.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Sounds like you misunderstand what "public domain" means because angry birds certainly isn't.

For something to be in the public domain the copyright need to expire or the copyright holder relinquishes claim to it.

Anyway i'm not going to continue arguing, i should know better than to get involved in things like this to begin with. All you guy's are cool so ignore me and do what you feel is right.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:26 am

@jojoe Copyright doesn't protect ideas and styles and whatsoever :D source : https://www.copyright.com/Services/copy ... ected.html
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:44 am

It should be noted that even though you don't directly copy the assets it's still possible for the copyright holder to threaten with legal actions if they feel their property is being violated, even if the subject is only copying their style or uses a similar image (like yours), if they do take that threat to court the outcome is usually dependant on who has the most expensive(best) lawyers and how derivative is the subject of copyright violation. It happens all the time, it's called copyright trolling/trademark trolling. One famous example is The Banner Saga that got legal threats from King for using the word 'Saga' in their title.

The bad thing about legal trolling like this is that they usually go after smaller companies or individuals who don't have the money to pay legal fees and even if no legal actions are taken most of the time the threat is scary enough to force the accused to change their work, because you never know, they might actually take it to court. So they are rather safe than sorry. It's all about protecting their products, even if they do it through questionable methods.

Just ought to let you know.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:44 am

Yes this is a touchy one mainly with countries negotiating on the TPP bill that even have it the way its worded that fanartist can see criminal charges. The cosplay world is seriously worried as the pharmaceuticals, automotive industry etc. Look it up the new Trans Pacific Partnership bill will be more stricter than the copyright as it is now. With this bill the government would be able to go after the supposed offender even though the creator didn't file a claim against you. It's made it to Congress but people are hoping it doesn't pass. Basically it's saying no imitation, derivative and whole lot of stuff. The TPP bill is suppose to be the universal copyright among numerous countries. They are trying to talk about it as minimal as possible as not to have people challenge this bill.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas