Can video games be considered art?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:53 pm

+1 to Sebastian

I kinda dislike the term art myself. It's so often flung around by people who want to feel extra clever about what they do. I think of art as something that consciously tries to provoke or communicate a feeling, a message, or whatever through non-explicit means. Other people may have other opinions about it. But eh, in the end it doesn't matter one bit whether games can be labelled art or not imo. It's just a word.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Art is subjective, but it can be shown that game making is analogous to painting, thus is considerable as art. The game making activity is reducible to the painting activity. Smeared paint, on a canvas, is considered art, by most people, if thought went into the final product to make it represent something (either figuratively or literally). Painting walls a single color, as a job, is not considered art by most, but painting an image is. Replace paint with text,images,sound,movement. The artist now smears text,images,sound and movement over a blank sheet (programming can be considered his brush), and the end result (the game) represents something other than the items (or medium) used, just as a painting represents something other than the colors (or paint) used. Thus, the final product (the game) is simply a more complex painting, and it is shown that an unknown artform is reducible to a known and respected artform. QED.Davioware2013-12-02 19:29:23
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm

It's easy to recognize if it's art or not. Art is thought provoking. It is something that has a message between words. You wont see or hear this message, but you can feel its presence. Then it's your job to look within yourself and interpret those feelings. Everything else that "looks nice" or "sounds nice" but doesn't make you feel that thought provoking presence I've talked about, is just craft.

So to answer to your question: almost all games are only a craft. And to be honest I can't even think of a game that would agree with my description. I can think of music, paintings and films, but no games. megatronx2013-12-02 19:59:48
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 pm

It depends what your definition of art is.
If you read the dictionary's definition, then yes; A lot of games can be described as art.
Art is as much about creativity as it is about making use of a skill and conveying an emotion or feeling.
I know many games that are enourmously immersive, made with mastery and creativity on technical as well as visual and auditive levels.

oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/art

To me, skill is a necessary element amongst other to categorise something as being art. I can admire the skill that is needed to make something without having to like the end result.

Old paintings by the masters might have been propaganda etc, they might be old and dusty, but you can not deny that they are painted with enourmous skill and talent.
Even WW2 posters can be admired for their typography typical for the era.

As pointed out in previous posts, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
B
S

Post » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:05 am

YES

:)
B
S

Previous

Return to Open Topic