Can we have an enhanced Platform Behavior?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Wanting to do a Shot n Run game easily? Here is your chance!
  • Hi.

Lately I was just playing around with Construct 2 again like I sometimes do. This time, I wanted to create a Platformer with.. how should I call it.. pressure sensitive jumping mechanics? Basically.. the longer you press the button, je higher you jump. Almost every good platformer (I actually can't think of any that don't) uses this kind of mechanic instead of a fixed jump-height by button press. While I think a fixed jump-height may be enough for some simple games, it's quite useless if you want to build a game with a more complex gameplay mechanic.

Take Mega Man or Super Mario Bros. for example. Nobody would like to play these games without their great platform physics.

I am aware that in fact you CAN do this in Construct 2 (I actually tried it myself with success), I don't think it's very convenient to use. Or I am just unable to do that. So while I was experimenting with some expressions and conditions, I found it pretty hard to do anything halfway satisfying without using variables and vector x/y to jump. Which means that when I let the player jump with an vector y expression/action, construct doesn't recognize that as a "jump" in the platform behavior, which means that I can't use use conditions like "is jumping". Which again would make things more complicated if want to further build on it. Like for example stronger jump while running and so on.

So my question is.. are you planning to do something in regard to more complex/enhanced platform mechanics?

• There is the Platform+ behavior that does that.

• This is hardly a "complex" platforming mechanic and does not require a whole new behavior...

+Player is jumping

+Jump key is not being held

-Set object.platform.vectorY to 0

...or instead of 0 divide the current vectorY. Either will "cut" the jump when you release the button and give you a variable jump height just like megaman and so on.

• The platform behavior is already pretty customisable, especially since you can control the X and Y vector components. A jump sustain probably just means sustaining the jump vector for a bit longer while holding 'jump', right?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This is hardly a "complex" platforming mechanic and does not require a whole new behavior...

I am not even asking for a whole new behavior and as I already mentioned.. I am aware of the possibilties using vector y.

The platform behavior is already pretty customisable, especially since you can control the X and Y vector components. A jump sustain probably just means sustaining the jump vector for a bit longer while holding 'jump', right?

Yeah.

All I am asking for is wether or not an "easier to use" implementation of these features is planned or not. The possibilty to customize it (and probably other platforming mechanics like dash) through the Platform properties and not to do it through the Event Sheets.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)