can we see a blog talking about the teamwork feature?

0 favourites
  • hi! i was wondering if we could see a post talking more in depth about the feature of having guests in our project, it is going to be like 2 or more people working in real time on a project? does the administrator of the project gives certain areas to work for the other people? like for example someone that can only edit layouts or someone that can only go to certain event sheets? it is in real time? it is like google drive? i would totally love to see a more depth talking about this topic since this is

the main reason i will buy Construct 3.

• Unfortunately, I think you're being overly optimistic hoping for this feature.

• in the firts day the talked about this feature, you can even see the "guests" on the right corner of the construct 3 screenshot.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Perhaps you are correct. I seem to be becoming more and more jaded towards C3 with the apparent lack of information on new tools being disclosed in the blog posts. I seem to have missed the part about collaboration that you are referring to as well. Can you please quote it for me or link it so I can take a closer look for myself? As far as the "guest" thing, I always thought that just had something to do with not being logged in, working in offline mode or something.

• The "Guest" text in the screenshots refers to the local login, not a collaboration feature.

• The "Guest" text in the screenshots refers to the local login, not a collaboration feature.

Wooah that's mades me go all back then :/

Since c3 will be a browser tool isn't there an change to have a feature like that???

Because I don't see why I would like to use c3 on any tablet or phone or anywhere else than my main computer

If the engine is still focusing on solo development pipeline.

• I think full-blown collaboration is a really difficult feature to use in practice. This is my example of how tricky it can be for users:

Alice and Bob are both editing the same project

Alice adds a Sprite

Bob adds an event for that Sprite

Alice presses undo

What happens now? Does the carpet get yanked out under Bob and some of his work just vanishes? Or is Alice simply unable to undo - so a key feature of the editor is disabled? I'm not convinced there is a good answer to situations like this, and it seems like collaboration would quickly break down in to a nightmare of either being unable to change what you want, or trampling over other people's work.

There's already a great way to organise collaborated projects - source control does it well, and you can already use that.

• I think full-blown collaboration is a really difficult feature to use in practice. This is my example of how tricky it can be for users:

Alice and Bob are both editing the same project

Alice adds a Sprite

Bob adds an event for that Sprite

Alice presses undo

What happens now? Does the carpet get yanked out under Bob and some of his work just vanishes? Or is Alice simply unable to undo - so a key feature of the editor is disabled? I'm not convinced there is a good answer to situations like this, and it seems like collaboration would quickly break down in to a nightmare of either being unable to change what you want, or trampling over other people's work.

There's already a great way to organise collaborated projects - source control does it well, and you can already use that.

There is a good answer, it's called a pop up message...man that's basic UX stuff that many browser tools

already figured out...

The problems you are listing are really but really easy to solve, a team working on a project are in constant communication, there can even be an implemented chat and all, stuff like "not being able to work" will never happens, there are also soooo many softwares that have collaboration features in real time even softwares for video editing.

I will suggest you Ashley to do some research firts instead of saying no from the start, since it's not something impossible to do and that many softwares do already, all the problems you are listing are really but reaaaaally easy to solve for an UX expert.

• You could even add like a permission system where you can lock certains layouts or event sheets for people

That are working on a protect. I just can't believe that a feature like this wasn't thought since was asked so many times, seeing C3 now understanding that there won't be any collaboration feature, it's makes me go all the way back, im already used to C2 interface and pipeline and I don't see any advantage in moving now.

• I really don't think it's as obvious as you assume: Construct 2 is relatively unique in having much deeper and far more entangled relationships between objects. For example you can have a Sprite that belongs to three families, inheriting different behaviors and instance variables from them, combining them with its own, and then have events in different kinds of objects referencing those behaviors and variables across multiple event sheets. This means actions like deleting an instance variable have far-reaching effects, including removing a significant number of events, conditions or actions. So it only takes one or two actions to completely ruin a project, and then maybe you can't undo that because it would conflict with something someone else did. I don't think something like a video editor or Google Docs has such deep and far-reaching references as that. For something like a document, you can pretty much treat the whole thing as a single linear sequence, which massively simplifies the problem.

And if your solution is to show a popup, what does that popup say? "Would you like to delete Bob's work"? What about what Bob wants? How does that solve the conflict?

I think the permissions idea where you can say lock a layout and only do level design is much more feasible. But then why not just use existing source control mechanisms? Is all this really better than that?

• Hello,

In unity there is a version system, one person manages the project in a main way and others can work on it and propose changes.

When they modify the project, they submit it online explaining the changes and the person managing the project validates them one by one.

This is a commit system.

Https://unity3d.com/en/services/collaborate

• Just a thought.

If we were able to copy and paste text as events into the editor then you could feasibly have a type of collaboration system.

Something similar to a "Twitch Plays Pokemon".

• There is a good answer, it's called a pop up message...man that's basic UX stuff that many browser tools

already figured out...

The problems you are listing are really but really easy to solve, a team working on a project are in constant communication, there can even be an implemented chat and all, stuff like "not being able to work" will never happens, there are also soooo many softwares that have collaboration features in real time even softwares for video editing.

I will suggest you Ashley to do some research firts instead of saying no from the start, since it's not something impossible to do and that many softwares do already, all the problems you are listing are really but reaaaaally easy to solve for an UX expert.

The problem goes deeper than simply adding a popup button, it's easy to add a popup sure, but is that's necessarily not good UX, especially in an application with so much inheritance. There is no one size fit all solution and it's not "reaaaaally easy" to solve if you want to keep a good UI and UX relationship. However this still doesn't make it an impossible task, it just requires research and testing and a lot of implementation.

In the end It would essentially become version control, and then as Ashley said:

[quote:2bsy3fnr]I think the permissions idea where you can say lock a layout and only do level design is much more feasible. But then why not just use existing source control mechanisms? Is all this really better than that?

At that point, the time would be better spend on integrating a existing service like github or gitlab than making a new service from scratch.

• The point is that it's hard to digest a subscription scheme without some of these features as part of the deal. Sure, we can use github for collaboration. Sure we can use dropbox for cloud service. Sure we can use third party addons for functionality etc... if that's the case, fine, I have no problem with that, it is exactly what we've been doing with C2 already. But some people are going to be upset about having to pay a subscription to do those things, so don't be surprised about that.

• If we get a decent editor sdk, things like this should be doable by the users.

Or at least something similar.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)