can we see a blog talking about the teamwork feature?

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Hello,

In unity there is a version system, one person manages the project in a main way and others can work on it and propose changes.

When they modify the project, they submit it online explaining the changes and the person managing the project validates them one by one.

This is a commit system.

Https://unity3d.com/en/services/collaborate
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Just a thought.
If we were able to copy and paste text as events into the editor then you could feasibly have a type of collaboration system.
Something similar to a "Twitch Plays Pokemon".
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:59 pm

IJCT wrote:There is a good answer, it's called a pop up message...man that's basic UX stuff that many browser tools

already figured out...

The problems you are listing are really but really easy to solve, a team working on a project are in constant communication, there can even be an implemented chat and all, stuff like "not being able to work" will never happens, there are also soooo many softwares that have collaboration features in real time even softwares for video editing.

I will suggest you Ashley to do some research firts instead of saying no from the start, since it's not something impossible to do and that many softwares do already, all the problems you are listing are really but reaaaaally easy to solve for an UX expert.

The problem goes deeper than simply adding a popup button, it's easy to add a popup sure, but is that's necessarily not good UX, especially in an application with so much inheritance. There is no one size fit all solution and it's not "reaaaaally easy" to solve if you want to keep a good UI and UX relationship. However this still doesn't make it an impossible task, it just requires research and testing and a lot of implementation.

In the end It would essentially become version control, and then as Ashley said:
I think the permissions idea where you can say lock a layout and only do level design is much more feasible. But then why not just use existing source control mechanisms? Is all this really better than that?

At that point, the time would be better spend on integrating a existing service like github or gitlab than making a new service from scratch.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:07 pm

The point is that it's hard to digest a subscription scheme without some of these features as part of the deal. Sure, we can use github for collaboration. Sure we can use dropbox for cloud service. Sure we can use third party addons for functionality etc... if that's the case, fine, I have no problem with that, it is exactly what we've been doing with C2 already. But some people are going to be upset about having to pay a subscription to do those things, so don't be surprised about that.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:38 pm

If we get a decent editor sdk, things like this should be doable by the users.
Or at least something similar.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:34 am

i dont see now any reason to buy C3, there is no real explanation to that license payment now, the workflow its exactly the same as C2.

B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:02 am

@Ashley

There are two kinds of license for business : Start-up Business License, Business License, it seems that C3 is facing to team usage.
But the workflow is the same with C2? Do you assume that there is only one developer to edit the project?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:18 am

In my humble and not very professional opinion, why not have it set so that if someone is editing then it should not be editable for other members, having a text somehere "Bob is editing now...." and then when he's finished it go green, and Alice can now edit, so then it is not editable by Bob.. That along with chat should work.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:27 am

helena wrote:In my humble and not very professional opinion, why not have it set so that if someone is editing then it should not be editable for other members, having a text somehere "Bob is editing now...." and then when he's finished it go green, and Alice can now edit, so then it is not editable by Bob.. That along with chat should work.

That should work by saving it to a common cloud storage account and using a 3rd party chat tool for that. Then each developer can open up the project at their turn by using their own Scirra account.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:54 am

We tried using Construct 2 (exploded caproj) with SVN and its ok, not great but manageable and workable. @Ashley for C3 since its in the cloud, it will be the same workflow right? We need to download our exploded xml(in C3 its json with some binary right?) project in our local then use svn from that point, or does C3 have api ties with dropbox/googledrive and we sync from there and no need to manually download.

I think what this post wanted to see is a real time C3 UI based merging tool intended for Construct ^^.

1. If its not real time and someone needs to commit at a certain point of time and do merging, then C3 might have a built-in file repository and versioning with comparator and layout and event locking mechanism.

2. I would love to see a UI based event comparator, or for the layout a position based comparator.

End of the day it is a lot of dev effort and testing on your part, not really sure how much value it would add C3 though.
sleep is only for the weak!
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion