Can we trust Scirra?

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Artpunk wrote:It would be a huge relief to me, and many others Im sure, if Scirra could maintain plugins for GoogePlay and GameCenter achievements / leaderboards

The main change with developing our own IAP/ad plugins is the fact we'll be implementing the underlying Cordova plugins ourselves too. In the case of Google Play, there is no underlying Cordova plugin - we wrote our own C2 plugin, and the C2 plugin directly interfaces with Google's API. So in that case, we basically already maintain the complete plugin. What are you hoping would be different if we re-wrote it?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:36 pm

Artpunk wrote:
hmmg wrote:Some people are focusing on money some others on success some others on the fun of making games some others on giving fun to other people etc... , each one has his own point of view and your point of view makes me think you are looking for money :D :D . my point of view is , will my product still be used in 2 - 3 or even 4 years :D

My goal is to build a career doing something I love. And generating income is a obviously part of that. Im not all about money, I also enjoy making games that try to be original, aesthetically pleasing with nice artwork, and the kinds of games I like to play myself.

Your statement was that iOS wasnt worth focusing on and that Apple is a 'dying product'. I was just pointing out that IMO you're wrong.

I agree with you 100%. Even though I gave up on mobile developement a long time ago one thing is for sure. If you want to make money from your hard work on mobile then target iOS. I can confirm that 95% of the revenue comes from iOS if you have the same app on both stores.

And many people have said to me "If you're in it for the money then you do it for the wrong reason". But what if I LOVE making games so much that I want to do it for a living? To make it possible I just make the games I want and enjoy and simply just target the platforms that can generate enough revenue for me to live on.

I don't do it for the money, I do it because it is my passion and I have promised myself that I will never go to a job I hate again. So here I am with my own company and each day I wake up and feel excited to get back to making my games and the only thing I change to make it possible is to target the right platforms...
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Do not diss Apple devices as not worth develop for. I think it depends on where you live. In my circles there are almost only iphone owners seeing as I could imessage them all.

While it doesn't have many units seen from the world, you have to consider that the world population consists mostly of poor people. Poor people buying cheapest phones and maybe not afford buying games. Remember many buy mobile phones just to be able to communicate in country without infrastructure. Those would even use sun to recharge or go to recharge places.

In "richer" countries I think Apple devices are more popular and people more ok with buying games and apps.

Yes, it is divided world and different people ready to buy different brands. Apple has this more "luxury product" feel than Android phones. Something like comparing with Mac and windows pcs.

Construct 3 is open for osx now! So it would be nice to see more support for ios.

And no, I am not 100% defending iphone even if I have it. I really hate itunes!! But iphone/ipad is what we have here. I do not even pay for them, I inherit them. I am on iphone 5s, just got it "upgraded" from 4 few months ago. So there go the "rich" thing. ;) I did buy my ipad 4 however. It is starting to feel old. It was snappy and responsive when it was new, but I guess ios is more bloated now. But I am not too keen to buy a new one just yet. I want to have a new camera instead and it cost about as much and is more needed in my works.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:26 pm

Ashley wrote:
Artpunk wrote:It would be a huge relief to me, and many others Im sure, if Scirra could maintain plugins for GoogePlay and GameCenter achievements / leaderboards

The main change with developing our own IAP/ad plugins is the fact we'll be implementing the underlying Cordova plugins ourselves too. In the case of Google Play, there is no underlying Cordova plugin - we wrote our own C2 plugin, and the C2 plugin directly interfaces with Google's API. So in that case, we basically already maintain the complete plugin. What are you hoping would be different if we re-wrote it?

For both the GooglePlay and GameCenter plugins the main thing I would hope for is they both work reliably and be as easy as possible to implement. I would want to be able to use Achievements and Leaderboards for both platforms.
Maybe the GooglePlay plugin doesn't need to be rewritten at all Ashley, you'd know! If you think it works, allows achievements and leaderboards then I guess nothing needs to be done to it. In that case Id just be asking, could the GameCenter plugin be updated to be functional as well.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:57 pm

The title is pretty intense so I wanted to step in to say I think Scirra can be trusted to strive to develop their best game editor and interface for 2D games yet, even more so thanks to its ability to give developers more control over the interface (since it's an unrestricted JavaScript + HTML5 environment there shouldn't be much off limits to developers of plugins).

The runtime is the same as Construct 2 for now and the foreseeable future (HTML5), so if you are happily using Construct 2 right now, then you'll be able to continue enjoying that with Construct 3, with a paid subscription fee per year.

So yes, they're being pretty up-front and trustworthy, eg: they're not promising "Switch and Nintendo 3DS export!" or "Xbox One and PS4 self publishing!", or anything too crazy to actually expect decent outcomes from using HTML5 (although WiiU doesn't support WebGL, and it should be stressed how big of an impact that makes on scope of games capable on the console). So export-wise, they're pretty clear that it's web-based.

All the third party exporters and plugins aren't made by them, so they can't promise that it'll work 100% of the time, and since that's their demarcation point then it's just a matter of whether each user personally wants to take the risk on using an exporter. As long as the risk is made clear before purchase, that could be considered fair and, again, trustworthy! :)
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (they wont run anywhere)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:18 am

Are there any Construct 2 Masters right now using it to monetize on the markets? If so, do they use all these 3rd party plugins? Or did they develop their own? The community Construct 2 masters could pool together with their knowledge and build plugins. Plugins created by the community for the community. We the community could fix this problem ourselves. Unless there are no Construct 2 masters.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:41 am

We can trust Scirra but we have other plugins also which we can use like Google Play Plugin.
B

Post » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:51 am

I (also) think the title of the topic should be changed to something that represents the content and is less offensive. ^^

For example: I worry about plugins. Or: plugins ga(/i)ve me nightmares
^^
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:26 pm

I would say you can definitely trust Scirra that is for sure.

But any third party cannot be trusted including google\chrome - that is where any letdowns will come from.
If it can be done, someone on the web will show you how to do it!

CDASI Games Mentality Break Splat-a-bug FlapFleet Challenge
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:27 am

It not just about writing new Plugins from Scratches. We need single plugin for every type of feature, Ad, IAP, Leaderboard etc.

I am fed up of having 1000s of IF condition to use a particular feature. I am forced to mintain different versions for iOS (Game Center plugin & Admob, Cranberry IAP), Android(Google Play & Admob, Cranberry IAP) and finally Windows (Pubcenter, Offical IAP and no leaderboard!)

This is teh issue I have brought up in my new Topic:

c3-universal-ads-iap-leaderboard-amp-social-media-plugin_t193557
Create your own Isometric Runner Game using C2:

Check out my game "Last of the Survivors":
Play Store
App Store
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion