Can you copy elements from one game to another?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
3D Rendered, High Resolution elements to create an apocalytic scene or war zone
  • Hey. I'm trying to design a game that's going to be kinda complicated, so I'm going to make a few practice games. Do you guys know how to copy pieces from one game file to another? Thanks in advance, this will probably save my games a hundred time over!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This is certainly possible but you have to think ahead before you actually copy code across from one project to another. C2 code should always be executable, so you will have to make sure that everything you need from a project has bee re-created in the new project before you can actually copy and paste an event sheet.

Here are the steps:

1. Open both projects in C2

2. Re-create all objects in new project that have been used in the original project. Make sure all the names are correctly spelled

3. Re-create all instance variables for each object created above that has been used in the original project.

4. Make sure that there are no variable name conflicts between the two projects.

5. When all of the above has been satisfied create a new event sheet in the new project.

6. Copy and paste original code into the new event sheet.

6. Finally, add an include for the new event sheet

Think that covers it. Let me know if I have missed something, or you have any problems.   

I wish there was an easier way but I haven't found it!

• What simwhi says, except for one thing. I don't know if it changed recently, but for certain in release 87 you can copy sprites and text objects from the layout in one project and paste them into the layout in another and it will copy all of the properties, including instance variables, so you don't have to recreate them from scratch. I don't know about other object types.

• You might have to edit your .caproj in notepad to include new layouts. I had once.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)