Cannot Preview on LAN

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:25 pm

@Tekniko, yup I typed the exact url from the preview window, the one with my IP address along with the port number. Yes, I run the preview first before trying to preview on my phone. I tried refreshing on both ends as well, and even go a bit deeper into the game as well with no luck.

@lennaert, yup I run C2 as administrator every time.

@Ashley, thanks for that. Sorry, I am really bad at networking. I will try searching for information on checking the LAN ports. Will update as soon as I can.

Thank you guys!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:01 pm

I've never got my lan working (with construct2 preview) and my mobile.

My work-a-round is using wamp or *xampp and having a directory for games. I just export html game there and run game from my mobile using wifi and network.

*my current favoriteDUTOIT2014-02-12 16:01:55
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:59 am

@DUTOIT, thanks I really appreciate it! I will give C2 preview a few more tries, but if I can't I'll use your approach. Again, thanks! I think I must have gone a few years bald just last night
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 am

@rekjl,

No problem :)

Trust me its not you, I'm pretty good at networking etc, but for some reason I can't get C2 and my LAN to work. I've tried countless times in the past.

But, my work-a-round suits me better now.
I have my development sites there, my mysql databases, and now my game(s) which I can test to my hearts content.

The preview is great for little changes, because it takes slightly more time to hit the export button and select folder, and wait for it to export - lol. But, at least I am seeing the real game it its exported state vs a preview.

Wamp and Xampp can be a little tricky - have a look at Instant Wordpress. Its a standalone, portable WordPress development environment. It turns any Windows machine into a WordPress development server. It will even run from a USB key. Create a folder in your wordpress directory.

Nice trick: edit your hosts file turning your localhost and ip 127.0.0.1 to a url example.com or I use myactualdomain.dev

Anyways good luck, have fun
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:58 am

@DUTOIT, hehe just in the nick of time. I just installed XAMPP and I think I stared at the instructions and guide for a solid 30 minutes with a blank mind. Hehe I will download instant wordpress now.

Just had a look at it, and I just want to ask and see if I got the idea correct. Instant Wordpress is used to view wordpress websites. But it should work with html in general, that is why I will be able to test my html5 game by placing it into the correct instant wordpress folder?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:34 am

@rekjl,

Haven't used instant wordpress for ages. Let me download and install quick.

Oh, cool, its better than I remember :)

Your wp installion is in iwpserver/htdocs/wordpress/
You want to create a folder
iwpserver/htdocs/wordpress/games/
Now create a folder for your game and export game to this folder.
launch instant wordpress and click wordpress front page - it will launch internet explorer at a url like this
http://127.0.0.1:4001/wordpress/
Now either via wordpress you can create a website and link to games via menu etc

Or just type in your browser of your choice:
http://127.0.0.1:4001/wordpress/games/zombie/

Maybe I will make my first tutorial today if I get a chance, but this should sort you out.
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:56 am

@DUTOIT. Thank you times a million!! I really appreciate it! Hehe it's time to test and try it out!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:20 am

@DUTOIT, I installed it and followed your instructions, was able to get the game to run on my browser, but when I type the exact same url into my phone, it shows the same message as with C2 preview, that the website is currently not available. What do you think might be the problem?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:21 am

@rekjl

No problem. Here is the Tutorial

Edit: You are right - hold on, let me investigate

Damn, I'm an idiot. So sorry, you need the network ip not localhost.
Instant Wordpress doesn't use network. It ain't going to work unless I hack the code.

Xampp works, I use it. Will have to write up tutorial on that instead.

DUTOIT2014-02-13 08:36:12
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:44 am

@DUTOIT, Thank you so much. I will patiently wait for your tutorial.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General