[CAPX] Yet another shadow caster

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks @R0J0hound - this plugin is brilliant. I've seen this asked for a lot and people have been waiting for something like this for a long time, so I'm sure you've made a lot of people happy!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50465867/Construct/LightCombo.capx

This is a modified version of the capx if anyone wants it. Again, you should be able to use this as an include in many other sections of your games :) Again, just make sure you have a "Light & Shadow" layer.

I've also increased the size of the pasters slightly to ensure they don't appear when scrolling to fast. This may have affected the resolution slightly, but it's not noticeable.

Additionally, the top layer can have a blur effect added to it, which will help smooth out the shadows, but this should be optional in case it slows things down too much.

Now the only issues appear to be the blend of the light sources seems to wash things out, rather than the nice blend R0J0hound is able to achieve.

Also, on occasion, the fps will dropp down about half. I can't seem to replicate this a lot, but it seems to happen when moving the lights around a lot.AnD4D2013-10-09 18:27:08
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

Nintendo Wii U Developer using Construct 2
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:18 am

@R0J0hound

I've updated Paster, but now when I load my project, I get an error, reporting:

Assertion failure: Warning: set rendering to current texture 0

I've also been unable to get the colours to mix correctly, it's not as good as you managed in the past with the older Canvas plugin. Is that why in a later version you used 3 different colours for the falloff sprite, rather than a single version?
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:24 am

Re-download the plugin, I made a fix for r147.
I did like the color blending in the canvas version, but I used a slightly different approach in the paster version so backgrounds wouldn't be as washed out. It could use improvement though.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:05 pm

@R0J0hound

Great, thanks!!!
@bearboxmedia
www.bearboxmedia.com

B
S
G

Post » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:49 pm

This is strange, but when I try this shadow caster (and my game which uses your shadow casting technique) on Google Chrome it runs very smoothly. But when I run it on Node-Webkit, both run very slow and laggy.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:30 pm

@R0j0hound
is there an easy way to fix multiple overlapping shadows and shadows from objects that go through other objects?

see attached picture:

modded .capx:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwK9oyausprPV1A2V0E0X0VkUTQ/edit?usp=sharing
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Completed Creations