Cash For Game Titles Question

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:50 pm

The reason I ask is on their site "Steamworks" they ask you to send them a demo of your game and if they choose it to be on Steam they send you their SDK (Anti-piracy, other tools) so how would I incorperate that sdk into a construct program if I don't have access to the source code?
B
G

Post » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:00 pm

I have no clue. The games they sell are mostly C++ that will except the SDK.

That said, I would look for more of the smaller on-line publishers that sell he little games. You will not make a 1 time sell but share in the revenue every time some one makes a purchase. Then again you can always start your own site.

What kind of time frame are you looking at? Do you have a full featured game finished?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:17 pm

It's still under construction, but most of the mechanics are done(Pretty easy considering construct does most of it) as for a time frame, I still need things developed (Music, and Art) I have an excellent SFX/Music guy working on the project and I'm 85% sure I have an excellent Artist coming on soon. I offerd them 10% each of the games return(Royalties) I think it may take a few months to get it done, and get all the reasources together and implimented. Just a question do you program in any languages like C#,C++, or VB? or do you know anyone really good at Flash programing?
B
G

Post » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:13 pm

[quote="Bustercube":2lg7e3ym]The reason I ask is on their site "Steamworks" they ask you to send them a demo of your game and if they choose it to be on Steam they send you their SDK (Anti-piracy, other tools) so how would I incorperate that sdk into a construct program if I don't have access to the source code?[/quote:2lg7e3ym]

Right, but that's not them asking for your source code, that's asking you to add their code to your source. Which brings me back to the reason why most publishers won't take a game made in a program like Construct -- they would likely ask you to remake it in a proper language.

Your best bet is to go with a small company that publishes indie games. (And yes, Steam does publish indie games, but they are all written in a language).
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:57 pm

You could write a plugin im sure.. At start of layout do the required for steam. But yeah that would require a little work but no you could get it to work. Many indies can see success without the need of steam. Steam is nice and all but you could do good with out it.

On a side note offtopic and kinda on topic.. ModDB is releasing a new digital distribution service that is coming out in april. Maybe you could see if there is any success there with your title as well under the idea of self publishing.

[url:1jcgqgtl]http://www.moddb.com/groups/desura/news/introducing-desura[/url:1jcgqgtl]

You can sell a game in construct, just you need to put forth your own work towards it. And some options may not be available off the bat but you could possibly get something out there from other indie sources and review sites like
[url:1jcgqgtl]http://jayisgames.com/[/url:1jcgqgtl]
[url:1jcgqgtl]http://www.tigsource.com[/url:1jcgqgtl]

that can get you out there and you could self publish also. These are just some options if you look into it you could find a lot of ways to self publish and make a living.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:56 am

Well I've contacted people from Steam and from Desura. Only Scott Reismanis, from Desura, has returnd my inquries so far. Scott and I had an interesting conversation about the system and what they plan to do, so I thought I would share some of what was disscussed.

Right now they are in a private beta, but he told me if I wanted in he would add me. I don't know if he is adding anyone and everyone, but I believe if you want in you need make a ModDB account and send him a message and ask to get in.

He explained the service in detail. He told me there are no fees to sell a game, but they take a percentage of the sales 30% - Them, 70% - You. The system is an app like Steam, except you control your games site(Store front), content, price. They finished work on their patching system, and they are now working on the finance system (Setting price, Tracking orders). He also talked about an "Optinal C++ SDK" which will allow stat tracking, accolades(Trophies, Achivements), and Authentication(DRM).

From what he was telling me Desura is a Social Gaming network somewhat like Steam. Members can take screenshots ingame and post them up for disscussion. Feedback of games comes straight from the community as do reviews.

If you have a question about anything ask me, he may have told me allredy and I forgot to post it. Once someone from Steam contacts me(If they do) I'll post that here to.
B
G

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:38 pm

Thats really cool, i was really looking into this new system from ModDB since i found out yesterday. So it could be possible to make this Optional SDK into a Plugin probably? Im planning on working a longer term game with construct and possibly want to sell so this seems like a good idea by me to use.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Scott and my conversation went on longer and I asked he directly about a few more things.

ME- Does Desura offer an Affiliate program, or a way to profit split between a group?

Scott- "It is up to you, to separate payments out to your team"

ME- Many people including me use game creation systems like, RPG maker, Game Maker, Indie Game Maker, or Construct, does this have an impact on them releasing games through Desura?

Scott- "We support any game that is good and bug free, you will have to check the licence you have with game maker to find out if you can sell a game made using that tech. Im not sure you can."

ME- This C++ SDK do I have to incorperate in into my game?

Scott- "Oh and the SDK is optional"

So far he seem extremly nice and professional. I forgot to mention Scot is the Founder/End boss of Desura, so what he says is all true. are there any questions I should ask him?
B
G

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

Oh wow, sounds really good

is there any plan for this to be a standalone client for this network or will it stay as a social network? Like i know it is a social network for gamers and a portal basically for developers. But is there any plans to become a standalone client for games and downloads like Steam?

Im really excited about this program. It seems like it is going to make a big difference in the world of gaming for developers and gamers.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Right now it goes hand 'n hand with ModDB, but in the future they may become a stand alone client. right now they're an app that delivers ModDB content to you, but I think if the community grows and profit is made then they could go the stand alone way. The other question in my mind is how long untill Valve hears about this and tries to buy them out? but right now they don't stand to be a threat to Steam, due to the fact they don't have any licences with upper tier developers (EA, Activision, Ubisoft, ect) so we just have to sit back and see what happens.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic