Cash For Game Titles Question

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Right now it goes hand 'n hand with ModDB, but in the future they may become a stand alone client. right now they're an app that delivers ModDB content to you, but I think if the community grows and profit is made then they could go the stand alone way. The other question in my mind is how long untill Valve hears about this and tries to buy them out? but right now they don't stand to be a threat to Steam, due to the fact they don't have any licences with upper tier developers (EA, Activision, Ubisoft, ect) so we just have to sit back and see what happens.
B
G

Post » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Yeah but the indie scene has grown a lot and it seems to keep growing so this could be interesting to see how well it grows just from this alone could be a big impact. But only time will tell.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:21 pm

After thinking about this, why not make your game in C++? There are many Packages that make game programming with C++ as easy as Construct (but you have to code them) All the messy graphics and sound are made easy, and you can even do full 3d with them. The only draw back is you have to pay for them, but $50 - $200. Though if you have a good enough game the price is not a factor.

The bottom line is if i wrote C++ games in those packages you can too. LOL
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:21 pm

He sent me a Beta invite, so far it's pretty much facebook,steam,blogspot,youtube,photobucket, and phpBB all crammed together. Don't get me wrong it works quite well, the interface is intuitive and user friendly, the presentation of contents is nice, and the community aspect is smart. there's not much to do there sine it's a beta and there are only 1 - 2 hundred people signed up, but from what i saw i was amazed at how it works.

some of the things I loved about it.
Navagation - it's really easy to get around, it feels like a web browser (Chrome, FF) home buttons and mutiple tabs.
Presentation - The UI is good, it's not flashy or overpowering, which makes it feel nicer.
Content Presentation - All Mods/Games have their own section with all kinds of content. When you click on a game it takes you to that games section, there are tabs Community, Media, Blog, Patches, About, Info. in the commuinity tab you will find the forums on that perticular game, under the media tab you find screenshots and even trailers, the blog tab has the developers blog about the game, and patches has a list of available patches, about gives you info on the game and developer.

some things I didn't like about it.
Structure - when you go to find a game a list appears none of the options are Indie games.
The Development tab - figuring out this system of adding games is not userfriendly at all
Publishing - in order to publish/sell your game on desura they tell you to use their program to turn a zip file in to a MFC file, which desura can change and update. it take a long time to do that.
B
G

Post » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:30 pm

[quote="Guyon":99403k0o]After thinking about this, why not make your game in C++? There are many Packages that make game programming with C++ as easy as Construct (but you have to code them) All the messy graphics and sound are made easy, and you can even do full 3d with them. The only draw back is you have to pay for them, but $50 - $200. Though if you have a good enough game the price is not a factor.

The bottom line is if i wrote C++ games in those packages you can too. LOL[/quote:99403k0o]
I can program in C++, I went to colege to learn computer programming. It's not that I can't it's that when I make a game it's usually for me and a few friends, so I use tools to make it easyier to do and save time. I'm sure there are many programs out there that make .cpp files for you, but if I was gonna do that I would just do it all from scratch. I didn't go to school for game programing, but I'm sure I could figure it out. The reason I've been asking all these people from steam and desura about publishing games made with construct like software is to bring to their attention the vast amounts of creativity out here, not everyone knows how to program, but a lot of people have good ideas for games and I don't think game development means you are set to using a high level language, I think people should be allowed to release their game no matter what they used to create them.
B
G

Post » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:59 pm

[quote:kywptf7b]...I don't think game development means you are set to using a high level language, I think people should be allowed to release their game no matter what they used to create them.[/quote:kywptf7b]

Totally agree with Bustercube.

Speaking of gamesales further:
Found some interesting article recently. (Link) Pretty interesting info for independent game developers
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 am

Im in college right now for computer science, and C/C++ is no difficult matter. I might look into writing my own engine for the ability to put in on many platforms. Construct does make it really easy to prototype a game though so that makes it something i would prefer to use.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Open Topic