Castlevania Style Platformer

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:19 am

[quote="brent_hamel":2chuaz2e]How do I post my .cap files so you guys can see where I suck lol[/quote:2chuaz2e]

You can attach them to your post in the upload section, or use dropbox to host them, and link back here.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:41 am

[quote="Madster":23g6sdlu]To note: Changing layouts is really what you'd want to do, as it goes just the way that Castlevania's rooms behave: every enemy is reset.[/quote:23g6sdlu]

You could, yes, but it's a trade-off. Making and tweaking levels and level design in general would be a pain. With larger chunks of several rooms strung together you're sort of meeting it half-way. And it's not too terribly difficult to "turn off" an enemy if it's not currently on the screen.

[quote="brent_hamel":23g6sdlu]How do I post my .cap files so you guys can see where I suck lol[/quote:23g6sdlu]

The board-preferred method is to use Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/

It sets up a folder on your hard drive that you can drop files into, then right-click your file and select "Copy link." It automatically uploads whatever you put into the folder to the web (it also syncs your folders if you have it set up on different computers), and the links it gives you are direct links with no download pages or ads. And it's free.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:08 am

[quote="deadeye":1fljvn6x]Making and tweaking levels and level design in general would be a pain.[/quote:1fljvn6x]
How so? in Castlevania there are no "levels", just rooms. Only special items do not replenish, items that you have to track anyway.
Every room (which go from small hallways to multilevel halls) gets its own layout and is done separately. The only thing that could be a hassle would be connecting them, and even now I'm thinking of a trick for that :P
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:38 am

[quote="Madster":3t2eox6n][quote="deadeye":3t2eox6n]Making and tweaking levels and level design in general would be a pain.[/quote:3t2eox6n]
How so? in Castlevania there are no "levels", just rooms. Only special items do not replenish, items that you have to track anyway.
Every room (which go from small hallways to multilevel halls) gets its own layout and is done separately. The only thing that could be a hassle would be connecting them, and even now I'm thinking of a trick for that :P[/quote:3t2eox6n]

I think what he's saying is the thought of having to follow where all those different locations are if their all split up across many many layouts could be a bit annoying after you get beyond a certain number, and grouping them up inside fewer layouts might work out better (I didn't think of that at first when I suggested different layouts).

Saying that though, if his game is smaller, then layouts would be the better choice.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 am

You guys are awesome, has anyone mentioned that lately? So here's my attempt at dropboxing my current caps...

[url:p2p1uc1h]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/Brent%27s%20Platform%20Engine.cap[/url:p2p1uc1h]
[url:p2p1uc1h]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/Brent%27s%20Platform%20Engine%20Room%20Test.cap[/url:p2p1uc1h]

The first one is 1600x900, so for anyone with smaller res, you should maybe check that, and it was simply my attempt at trying to get my character moving and interacting with the world, Arrows, S for jump, D for strike, Space for run, and Esc to exit. Don't know how to make them customizable yet...

The second is 1024x768, it's the same engine with some small changes, mostly just sprite size and jumping speed, it's just meant as a way for me to figure out how to have a single event sheet running the game behind multiple layouts.

[quote:p2p1uc1h]I think what he's saying is the thought of having to follow where all those different locations are if their all split up across many many layouts could be a bit annoying after you get beyond a certain number, and grouping them up inside fewer layouts might work out better (I didn't think of that at first when I suggested different layouts)[/quote:p2p1uc1h]

Now that I think about it, I imagine the way that Castlevania games do it would translate into having single layouts for the bigger sections of the map where all the room are related, but having a few different sections, thus multiple layouts...if that makes sense lol. They have sections with load rooms in between for things like palette changes and monster loading I believe. Would it be resonable to do it that way? The only reason I'm so focused on their platform engine is that it seems to feel pretty much perfect when I play (granted I'm biased as I have a large majority of the games in the series), so I figure, if it ain't broke, make your own version :D

[quote:p2p1uc1h]Saying that though, if his game is smaller, then layouts would be the better choice.[/quote:p2p1uc1h]

Kinda hoping to make some large outdoor regions, as well as a couple indoor mazes to start with. After that, I'd like to start populating it with bad guys of varying degrees. I'm just trying not to let my imagination get further along than my learning speed lol, which does tend to happen.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:32 am

By the way, if anyone needs any tips or pointers on music theory/digital music production, or just looking for some music for their games, pm me, here's an example of one the songs I'm trying to finish up, it's my own song, as an example of sound quality.

[url:3iup6eus]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/The%20Fireskies%20Of%20Terra%20Ultima%20-%2004%20-%20The%20Day%20I%20Ran%20Away.mp3[/url:3iup6eus]

I can do symphonic stuff, acoustic stuff, atmospheric stuff, rock stuff, not very good with electronic music though, but willing to give it a try :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:43 am

[quote="brent_hamel":3n9o12lb]By the way, if anyone needs any tips or pointers on music theory/digital music production, or just looking for some music for their games, pm me, here's an example of one the songs I'm trying to finish up, it's my own song, as an example of sound quality.

[url:3n9o12lb]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/The%20Fireskies%20Of%20Terra%20Ultima%20-%2004%20-%20The%20Day%20I%20Ran%20Away.mp3[/url:3n9o12lb]

I can do symphonic stuff, acoustic stuff, atmospheric stuff, rock stuff, not very good with electronic music though, but willing to give it a try :)[/quote:3n9o12lb]

That's really good. I do happen to need some very good quality music (no singing). I'm usually in chat if you fancy a challenge.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:42 am

Of course, you can do a lot more without having to bother with a lot of that stuff by using Linkman's camera plugin. It's awesome.

Also, that's some sweet music! I might consider asking for some tunes, if I need it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 pm

[quote="Candescence":1za6j9p7]Of course, you can do a lot more without having to bother with a lot of that stuff by using Linkman's camera plugin. It's awesome.

Also, that's some sweet music! I might consider asking for some tunes, if I need it.[/quote:1za6j9p7]

I'm surprised no one mentioned that earlier..
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:19 pm

Looks good.

I forgot to mention earlier that when you use separate layouts for each room, you get easy control over what's on VRAM, so you can load only the enemies that are in that room, while if you had all rooms in a single layout you'd need to fit ALL GRAPHICS at once in VRAM. Which is unlikely for a game with high res 2D sprites.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic