Castlevania Style Platformer

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:53 am

Nope. It's been requested before, quite a few times. Particles in most game engines have no collision ability, because it makes it more fast and efficient to render a lot of them at once. It's no different in Construct. If then engine had to calculate collision for a thousand or more particles then it would start to slow things down rather dramatically.

The particles object is highly optimized for one purpose: to quickly and efficiently display a lot of little images on the screen. Nothing more, nothing less. It's a special effect, not an interactive simulation.

But like I said, if you need interactivity for your particles then you could always make your own by spawning a bunch of actual sprite objects and giving them a few simple commands with events.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:40 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely try that and see what I can come up with
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:44 am

So I've made an object "rainmaker" to spawn objects "rain" but I'm not sure to to get it to spawn then at random point along it's width, all I can seem to manage is to get the rain to spot from the rainmakers image point, any ideas?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 am

In the same event and after the spawning action, do this:

rainSprite: Set X to random(n)

where n is the width of your rain spawning sprite. When an object is spawned it is automatically picked by the SOL so you can perform actions on it immediately.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:28 am

Awesome, thanks for the help.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Ok, so I've got

Every 10 Ticks - Rainmaker spawns Rain
- Rain Set X to random(rainmaker.width)

and the result is that the rain falls straight down from the image point of the rainmaker object, but then it also falls randomly between X0 and X(rainmaker.width) when I need it to fall randomly along the width of wherever I've placed the rainmaker object
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:14 pm

I've sort of got it

Rain: Set X to Rainmaker.left + Random(Rainmaker.Width)

that get it's falling randomly along the rainmakers width, but I still have a constant stream falling from the image point, any ideas?

I suppose I could always put the rainmaker below the layout and simply set the rain's x to 0, that just seems like the wrong answer though
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Here's a question (sick of me asking yet lol) is there a way to preload a soundclip into the engine without having to call it from it's directory every time?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 pm

[quote="brent_hamel":z6vuv2vk]I've sort of got it

Rain: Set X to Rainmaker.left + Random(Rainmaker.Width)

that get it's falling randomly along the rainmakers width, but I still have a constant stream falling from the image point, any ideas?

I suppose I could always put the rainmaker below the layout and simply set the rain's x to 0, that just seems like the wrong answer though[/quote:z6vuv2vk]

Are you spawning multiple raindrops in the event? How are you doing it? Is it a loop or is it just a bunch of spawn actions?

If you're just using a bunch of spawn actions then when you tell Construct to set the x of your rain it will only pick the first one that was spawned.

If you use a loop and tell each one to set it's x then it will set each one individually.

If that doesn't help then post your .cap, or a screenshot of your spawning event.

[quote="brent_hamel":z6vuv2vk]Here's a question (sick of me asking yet lol) is there a way to preload a soundclip into the engine without having to call it from it's directory every time?[/quote:z6vuv2vk]

Yes, add the sound to your Files folder in the project panel and use load or play as a resource. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:20 pm

[url:1fxvgbty]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4075855/Brent%27s%20Platform%20Engine%20Rainmaker.cap[/url:1fxvgbty]

Here's the cap
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic