Cave Flyer/Shooter?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Add an exploration, fantasy, mistery and mystical vibe to your games with these 10 themes
  • I've gotten interested in creating a "cave flyer/shooter" type game. For those of you who haven't heard of these, the idea is that you fly through a cave. The cave is generated ahead of you as you fly through (and removed as you fly off the screen). You only fly forward and if you hit an edge, you die! I've written similar kinds of things on an old Sinclair (back when neither I nor it was old). By drawing blocks ahead but making sure the top and bottom cave walls got larger and smaller but never too small.

So my question is, has anyone done this with Construct 2? How do I draw lines in front of me and erase as I go off the screen? Capx appreciated.

Here's one in JavaScript that emulates one of the old ones. Thrust

I realize that a cave flyer isn't necessary linear, but what I verbally described was one I remember playing on the Atari 800. There's a new game on the Apple app store called Cave Shooter that describes what I'm wanting to do. Cave Shooter

• Interesting bit about the Sinclair, I learned BASIC programming on a Sinclair. I remember quite a few early cave shooters too, they've been around for a while. They tend to remind me of Sopwith, one of my favorite classics.

The cave shooter you first linked to could be easily done with variously shaped polygon Sprites. The second though, that'd require a bit of creative shaping of the Sprites, but fundamentally it'd be the same, just variously shaped, though textured, polygons.

• Isn't that basicly sprite horizontal scrolling ?

Check the how do I FAQ for more "Scrolling / cameras" examples.

• I think he is more interested in the terrain generation... I think there are a few topics/examples on that somewhere...

• Interesting bit about the Sinclair, I learned BASIC programming on a Sinclair. I remember quite a few early cave shooters too, they've been around for a while. They tend to remind me of Sopwith, one of my favorite classics.

The cave shooter you first linked to could be easily done with variously shaped polygon Sprites. The second though, that'd require a bit of creative shaping of the Sprites, but fundamentally it'd be the same, just variously shaped, though textured, polygons.

I wrote several games on the Sinclair, even a few that used machine-language routines typed into comment lines. Amazing what could be done in 1K!

Polygons! Yes, I'll investigate!

• I think he is more interested in the terrain generation... I think there are a few topics/examples on that somewhere...

Terrain generation. Exactly. Not blocks, but jagged lines that are generated each move!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't think you can draw lines with construct, like in these games, but you can do it with slightly larger objects, say, 8 pixels in width.

Now let's say you have a window that is 640px wide with these "wall" objects on the top and bottom scrolling left, that's 160 objects, which I guess are no problem for HTML5

• I don't think you can draw lines with construct, like in these games, but you can do it with slightly larger objects, say, 8 pixels in width.

Now let's say you have a window that is 640px wide with these "wall" objects on the top and bottom scrolling left, that's 160 objects, which I guess are no problem for HTML5

Sounds like I can go with oddly-shaped sprites and have fun.

I wonder if the SVG plugin could draw some lines for me?

I do love Construct 2!

• You could draw lines with either the SVG Canvas or the Canvas plugin, but the problem is that you won't have collision detection with them, not currently at least.

I think it's best done with Sprites for now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)