CC/C2 discussion

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
A cool way for kids to write and practice English Alphabets
  • no one loves it anymore....That's just because everyone thinks he/she has to jump on the casual game market (instead of using the best tool for their game idea).

I'm still in love with CC, and the more serious applications you can create besides games still are without competition among free game creation tools.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • construct just has some issues so deeply rooted that it was easier for the creators to start from the ground up than tackle them.

That would have been fine.

except with the new version the dev team decided to go in the direction of every other game-maker.

leaving the original construct lying in a gutter, full of holes.

I loved the idea behind construct, however the developers didn't

Now it seems to me, ether you can still use C1 and try to get as far as you can before some debilitating error causes it to implode.

or simplify your ambitions, pay up, and make a iPhone game.

or just...move on...

personally. I'm torn..

• Bartosh

I loved the idea behind construct, however the developers didn't

Yeah they did, that's why they're working on C2 now.

Now it seems to me, ether you can still use C1 and try to get as far as you can before some debilitating error causes it to implode.

Don't.

or simplify your ambitions, pay up, and make a iPhone game.

C2 is plenty capable of making something way, way more complex than a basic iphone game. HTML5 is not limited to simple games. In fact, C2 is capable of making something way more complex than CC can even begin to hope to handle.

or just...move on...

personally. I'm torn..

I don't know why you have a bad impression of HTML5, but whatever you're thinking of making, as long as it doesn't require something crazy intensive like a thousand physics objects piled on top of each other, you can probably make it in C2.

• Nah your right, making my little A* algorithm in C2 I realized how much things had improved, and some of the things I've seen in html 5 are rather amazing.

I'm just dishearten to see all my work become obsolete..

but none of this has anything to do with dxzone12's question.

I'll just make a new post in the general forum at some point and get this melodramatic stuff off my chest .

• I'm just dishearten to see all my work become obsolete..

I hear ya, man. It's easier in my case though because I was going to have to start from scratch anyway for most of what I was working on in CC because of how terribly I designed them originally.

• In fact, C2 is capable of making something way more complex than CC can even begin to hope to handle.Fact? I'm disappointed to read such a wrong sentence from you. There is not one app that proves you right. Contrary, there are lots of complex applications made with CC that simply can't be realized with C2. Maybe I have to add the word "yet".

Or you don't mean complex but quantity and not runtime but edittime?

• > In fact, C2 is capable of making something way more complex than CC can even begin to hope to handle.Fact? I'm disappointed to read such a wrong sentence from you. There is not one app that proves you right. Contrary, there are lots of complex applications made with CC that simply can't be realized with C2. Maybe I have to add the word "yet".

You can't judge a tool's capabilities by the content created with that tool. Games take a long time to make, and C2 hasn't been out that long.

True, there is functionality missing from C2 that CC has, but it's being added regularly.

Regardless, even in its current state, I don't recall many games that were made with CC that couldn't be made with C2 (thumb war being the most notable example, but even then if C2 had sprite distortion it might be capable, though it might require a fast machine).

There are also plenty of examples of stuff C2 can do that CC can't - probably more examples at this point, and those examples are probably more relevant to the majority of users (exporting to mobile, mac and linux, for example).

Or you don't mean complex but quantity and not runtime but edittime?

I'm not sure what you mean by that, but having made a complex game in CC with over 10,000 events, 500 objects and thousands of animation frames, I can state with some authority that my attempt to make something complex with CC didn't work well at all and CC is not reliably up to the challenge of making a large complex game. CC is barely, barely able to manage loot pursuit which is actually a medium to small game, and yet it takes 10 minutes to load the battle event sheet, 7 seconds of waiting for every single edit made to that event sheet, 30 minutes to undo or delete an object, 5 minutes to preview, there are events I can't move or edit without crashing the editor and I have to repeatedly close and restart the program when using the animation editor to keep memory leaks from crashing the program, not to mention all the instability caused by trying to do things like delete family variables or such keeping me from reworking the code.

Conversely, my attempts to make things in C2 have worked much, MUCH smoother. Aside from the features it lacks (sprite distortion, etc) and event execution speed (which is plenty fast for almost everything most people will want to do), C2 can make the vast majority of what CC can, and a lot of what CC can't. It's better in almost every way.

Even if CC didn't have its instability I would still like C2 more. More platforms, better editor, faster preview, actively developed - honestly, I don't understand why people talk like CC is the actual great version of construct when C2 is so much better. Perhaps it's because other people haven't tried making something complex with it yet to realize how frustrating CC can be. Or perhaps it's concerns about html5. I was concerned at first as well about html5, but it's turning out to be far, far more capable than I thought - capable of even outrunning CC's rendering speed by a good margin with a recent graphics card.

• HTML 5 for what? To be limited by the, pardon my languange, sh*tty hardware you have to assume that the average fanboy of your game comes up with. So you downsize your design in almost every aspect to overcome the possible sh*tstorm unleashed on you when your stuff doesn`t run decent.

Not to mention the classic feeling when you just pop up an .exe instead of Firefox displaying your compromised original idea.

• See what you did dxzone12? we don't talk about payment on this forum for a reason.

• colonel Justice - I don't know, I haven't found myself very limited performance wise with C2 (though I haven't tested my games on netbooks and such). My computer isn't that powerful either. Almost every place I've had any sort of performance problem I've been able to overcome through optimization. Of the two I haven't (one being on mobile), for one of them C2 is barely fast enough anyway. It's true that my games aren't the most processor intensive though.

Also remember you can export to EXE with C2 now via node webkit, which functionally looks the same as a native EXE.

Bartosh - Actually we do talk about payment on this forum. The discussion got sidetracked, which happens frequently on forums. We're presenting our opinions about CC and C2, I'm not sure what the problem is.

• I was just trying to be funny.

the guy just had a simple 1 sentence question, that started this whole off the rails flame war in the help section.

---------------------------------------

but it turns out there's other people who have the same sense of abandonment and animosity towards the new engine like i do.

I think its a good idea to have this conversation. just the help forum nobody go's too anymore seems like a weird place for it.

• I was just trying to be funny.

the guy just had a simple 1 sentence question, that started this whole off the rails flame war in the help section.

Oh, sorry. Missed that. I don't know that I would call it a flame war though - I certainly didn't mean to come off that way with my response.

• I'm not sure what you mean by that, but having made a complex game in CC with over 10,000 events, 500 objects and thousands of animation frames, I can state with some authority that my attempt to make something complex with CC didn't work well at all and CC is not reliably up to the challenge of making a large complex game. CC is barely, barely able to manage loot pursuit which is actually a medium to small game, and yet it takes 10 minutes to load the battle event sheet, 7 seconds of waiting for every single edit made to that event sheet, 30 minutes to undo or delete an object, 5 minutes to preview, there are events I can't move or edit without crashing the editor and I have to repeatedly close and restart the program when using the animation editor to keep memory leaks from crashing the program, not to mention all the instability caused by trying to do things like delete family variables or such keeping me from reworking the code.

Wow, that's pretty bad. Can I ask some questions about your project? How many layouts did you have and how much vram did you use? How many levels were in your game? How big was your file before it started acting up?

• Boo

• 26 layouts, the most VRAM it uses at any one point in time is somewhere around 128 MB, levels don't really apply to the game as much, it started acting up a long time ago, don't remeber when - CC used to have more bugs than it does currently. For the current issues, a vague guess is they started when the .cap was maybe at around 12-15 MB (it's currently 38.9 MB, with a lot of resources external to the game for faster previewing).

crowtongue - I can have a negative opinion of CC in comparison to C2 without it being a flame. I'm objectively stating that CC has problems, and describing those problems. I'm trying to alert people to the fact that if they try to make something complex in CC, there is a very good chance they'll hit some of CC's problems.

Regardless, some derailment is fine, but I think you're right that this should probably become its own thread at this point.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)