CHAMBER (working title)

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:35 am

[quote="Highimpact":2joxemz9]Push! Sol, that work aint gonna get done by itself, and we all know Deadeye is "terribly, terribly lazy". OK im lazy too but... well deadeye has more posts so that doesnt mean he can be lazy!

Anyway, just an idea, maybe you can add little med kits or something that if you've been hurt you can press a button to use them to fill up a very small portion of life. maybe bandaids lol. Unless of course if anything you touch is gonna be a one hitter quitter. Then this game is going to be hella hard :twisted: Perhaps different difficulties? I dont want to put too much on your to-do list. :roll:[/quote:2joxemz9]

LOL Bandaids hahahaha!

Yeah I was planning on having seperate difficulty setting, which basically affect how much damage you take fom getting hit with traps... easy mode will be minimal damage to the point you would be able to run through an entire saw traps (for example) and not quite die. Medium would allow you to contact it a little bit, but you'd take pretty heavy damage, and Hard mods will be like you said, a one hitter quitter. This should be easy enough to add using a global variable, and using that as a damage multiplier.

I am going to try and finish the wall slide, roll, and wall jump today and upload the final build before I start working on an official demo. Deadeye, I will send you the CAP once I have added the animation files for wall jump, wall slide, and roll... that way you can make any adjustments accurately since the proper animations will be there.

Cheers guys!

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:15 pm

OK so it took me longer than anticipated... blame my friends for making me party and participate in real life for the weekend.

Here is the final preview build for the control engine. There is still some bug fixing and tweaking to do on the wall jump and slide etc, but it should be enough of an idea of how things are going to work for the demo, then full version.

Let me know what bugs you guys find if that's cool... I am aware of a few, but any I have missed... yeah.

New Controls:
Roll: Crouch then move left or right.

Wall Jump: Stand near a wall (or jump towards it) then hold SHIFT to wall jump

Wall Slide: Hold a direction towards a wall

The way this is setting out, will be basically MOVE keys and an ACTION button. The action button will work a lot like the "free run" button in Assassins Creed where you can pretty much hold shift to do a combination of climbing and jumping etc. The only time you have to press "action" to a precise timing is to jump/leap over traps or gaps.

Have fun!

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/21/ ... -v0.88.exe

~Sol
Tired of crappy file hosts that are crappy? Get DROPBOX - https://db.tt/uwjysXJF
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:12 pm

Wow Sol, this thing is much more solid than last time I tried it. The handplant looks MUCH better now that I see what looks to be the full thing. You must've had a hard time putting in the wall jump since you had to make the name of it "****ing Work!!!" XD. Those kill saws are much more menacing now too. I ran into a bug when I rolled around in the lava and then jumped to the side platform to do a hand plant while still holding down crouch. I was glitched and couldnt move and the animation would be stuck on rolling. I haven't been able to do this again so I guess it was just a lucky fluke. Its looking pretty cool now and more importantly FUN. Ill be sure to play the demo when it comes out :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:30 pm

[quote="Highimpact":pcdbochv]Wow Sol, this thing is much more solid than last time I tried it. The handplant looks MUCH better now that I see what looks to be the full thing. You must've had a hard time putting in the wall jump since you had to make the name of it "****ing Work!!!" XD. Those kill saws are much more menacing now too. I ran into a bug when I rolled around in the lava and then jumped to the side platform to do a hand plant while still holding down crouch. I was glitched and couldnt move and the animation would be stuck on rolling. I haven't been able to do this again so I guess it was just a lucky fluke. Its looking pretty cool now and more importantly FUN. Ill be sure to play the demo when it comes out :D[/quote:pcdbochv]

Hey thanks mate :)

I'll look into that glitch you found... I probably just have to add some extra conditions into the event for the hand plant or something. Shouldn't be too hard to fix that up :)

Glad you like the extra stuff so far... still needs tweaking because the wall slide cuts you into the wall slightly, and the roll can't change directions unless you stop for quarter of a second before pressing the other way... unless you want to stand up and run that is.

I sent th cap to deadeye to have a look at, so hopefully he can optimise some stuff and make it sweet as.

Now I just have to add some more traps and cool effects, plus draw up some backgrounds and random details to add in... and a demo should be realistic within a week or two. I'm anticipating a finished game by Christmas time, but don't hold me to that lol.

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:36 pm

A Christmas present! w00t! *Ducttapes Sol to his post* :twisted:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Stupid question, so, did you draw these sprites and animations 100% by hand, yourself? If so, goddamn, people becoming animators overnight. If they're just extensive edits to an existing character, I am sorry to say that I'm much less enthralled (oh well, just one guy anyway) but the project seems to be coming together nicely and wish you luck on it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:21 pm

I don't mean to, uh, de-thrall you but yeah, they're edits.

At any rate, this .cap is currently under my command. Sol is making graphics and stuff. I'll be passing it back to him after making some changes/additions.

I've made a few minor tweaks so far:

[list:36qlpqss][*:36qlpqss]Smoother scrolling system. The viewport no longer "pops" into place when you do a hand-plant.[/*:m:36qlpqss]
[*:36qlpqss]New "Look" controls. Pressing down at any time will move the viewport down slightly to see what's below.[/*:m:36qlpqss]
[*:36qlpqss]New firepit animation rather than physics balls.[/*:m:36qlpqss][/list:u:36qlpqss]

Next up: Tweaking the wall jump.

Also, what do people think about pressing down+jump while running to do a running roll? Right now you can only roll from a crouch. Or should the control just be "press down while running?"

Anyway, I'll upload the new version when I get a little more work done on it. I actually haven't heard from Sol in a while, I hope he's doing okay.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:04 pm

I think hitting down while running should go into a roll. that way its more free running but I recall sol not wanting it to be too much of a free run.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:30 pm

[quote="Highimpact":1npvma5i]I think hitting down while running should go into a roll. that way its more free running... I recall sol wanting it to be mega free run.[/quote:1npvma5i]

Fixed ;)

And yes I am OK! We had a public holiday and stuff, so I had like a mega extended weekend thing going on there... out of the last 7 days I have only worked like 3 days lol... Now back to the grind stone! I tend to post mainly from work when I'm bored (such as right now for example).

And yes deadeye... a running roll move would be super cool.

And yes, the sprites are an edit (at this stage). I am seriously considering replacing her with a completely custom sprite though... but it can wait until much later at this stage... once the game engine hits v1.0 and we start doing level designs, I may hit up my animation studio and start making a completely custom character. I have a superb idea with which I will PM deadeye about later.... and the rest of you can just wonder what the fock it is :D

~Sol
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:28 am

DId you just edit my post and contradict yourself and now you want it to be a free runner???
:twisted: you sly devil you! :evil:
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations