change variable based on coordinates

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily store, modify, read and manipulate colors with Color Variables!
  • Hello!

In my game I have this bar, and a sphere. Whenever the sphere is over the bar, the player must press spacebar. But, I want to have the player to check if this bar is red or green. If it's red, he cannot press spacebar.

My issue os That i need the bar to change colors when the sphere is about 100 pixels close to the bar. Problem is, the sphere can approach from left or right, and i can't calculate X that way.

Glad if you could help!=D

• You missed the CAPX ^^

Do you want a simpler way? Make a check by overlapping with offset or, make a check with a invisible mask around and pinned to your bar.

• In terms of performance, how wold the mask imply at this game?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • what about checking distance between bar and sphere?

distance(bar.X, bar.Y, sphere.X, sphere.Y) < 100 -> change color

• what about checking distance between bar and sphere?

distance(bar.X, bar.Y, sphere.X, sphere.Y) < 100 -> change color

shinkan It will check the distance only of the origin point, right?

Zerei the impact is near to zero, you can't feel the difference. I'm using it and it's rocking on my game.

You should use square objects instead of complex polygons, because more points on the polygon issue on performance. It's better to check 10 objects with 4 points on their polygons instead of 2 with 20 points.

This is my debugging interface, you can check all the collision masks, I implemented them on a single layout and did this layout check if it's on preview, if yes, it become visible, if not, invisible.

[tube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJFQftlOdH0[/tube]

• distance(bar.X, bar.Y, sphere.X, sphere.Y) - yes, from the origin point

but you modified it as you want

distance(bar.X, bar.Y-(bar.Height/2), sphere.X, sphere.Y) - this will check between sphere origin point and bar top center.

• Thanks Guys! It really helped!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)