Cheap phone

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:47 am

I'll be honest, I know nothing about the mobiles that can run C2 games. What would be a really cheap phone that I could pick up to test C2 games on? Presumably if it's cheap it'll be bad, meaning if a game runs on that, it'll run on more expensive ones?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:24 am

[QUOTE=farflamex]Presumably if it's cheap it'll be bad, meaning if a game runs on that, it'll run on more expensive ones?[/QUOTE]

I use to think that way but the truth is that it is hard to get a game running good on a expensive top of the line phone especially on Android.

Don't waste your money get something new and powerful. If you go to a wireless provider you can get a nice Samsung Galaxy S3 for under $200 with a contract, or wait a week or two and get a new Galaxy S4. That is if you want to develop for Android.

Iv been looking for a deal on a unlocked Windows Phone 8 with no contract but in the US that just don't exist.

You could always get a tablet instead of a phone if it's just for developing on, and that way you wouldn't need a wireless contract if you got WiFi at home. Google has a nice 16 GB Nexus 7 for $199.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 am

I only want something to develop on, something which is weak so my finished game will work on just about anything. And which is the largest/best market? Is Android the way to go?

I wouldn't want a contract at all, I have a very old mobile phone and I barely use that.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 am

iPhone 3g?
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 am

Well the largest market doesn't necessarily mean the best. The smaller ones like Windows Phone 8, and the new Blackberry 10 are the ones I am interested in because there not over flooded with apps, competition, and AAA games yet so there is lots of opportunity there right now. But there phones are new, expensive, and require contracts in the US.

I have two games in the Google play store, and I am trying to monetize off of them with ad revenue but CocoonJS is the only wrapper that works right now, and they have a bad ad service. I haven't made any money yet.

If you want a cheap, no contract phone, and if you live in the US Walmart has a variety of prepaid android smartphones in a box for under $100. But make sure it has the Google Play Store installed on it because not all cheaper android devises can run it. Also get one with a powerful processor, and a lot of ram you will need it. Try to get one with at least the Ice Cream Sandwich OS or newer.

You could develop for ios app store but you will need to buy a Mac if you don't have one to compile the code. But I here iphone users actually like to spend money on apps.Wink2013-03-26 05:03:41
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:39 am

I live in the UK but I'm sure most that applies here. It's very confusing, just so many targets. I suppose any basic phone would do the trick for starters, it's not like I'd be making the world's best games, it'd mainly be for experimenting at first.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 am

Last year I used a Samsung galaxy S running Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 OS. It was very hard to get a game working on it until CocoonJS came around. But everything is getting better now.

I think If you want a cheap phone, and a cheap entry into mobile development Android is the way to go right now. I also think it will be the most supported platform by Construct 2.

Edit:

Just make sure that the phone you buy can support the store you want to sell on. Also make sure that Construct 2 supports it. Just do some research in the forums, and see if anyone else recommends something else.

If you live in the UK you can get better deals on unlocked no contract phones than in the US right now just shop around.

I hope I didn't confuse you to much with all the options out there.Wink2013-03-26 06:10:17
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:21 pm

In US, the best way to approach it is get something on ebay.

Apple products will be easy - you can get iphone 3g/3gs for around $50-$60 on ebay.

Android is a bit more complicated, as there are many different models. Specs wise, I would advise something around Samsung Galaxy S (the first one, also known as SGS) if people (your potential clients) are getting new contracts, almost everybody will have specs beyond the SGS. Even the entry models (that are not very popular in US, but are quite popular in Europe and middle east) will have similar specs to the SGS. So if it will run well on SGS - it will run well on almost anything used nowadays ;)

For Windows 8 phone and Blackberry, at this time there isn't a good way to do it. If you are lucky, you might find nokia lumia on ebay or pre-owned somewhere.
VonBednar2013-03-26 12:24:49
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:31 pm

If you're after something cheap, Android is usually cheaper than iOS, and Android tablets can be cheaper than the phones. The Nexus 7 would be a good starting point IMO - I've got one for testing and the latest Chrome actually runs pretty well on it.Ashley2013-03-26 14:31:56
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:25 pm

The iphone 3g is too under powered to run construct games well one, don't bother. even the 4 is kinda wimpy. the 4S is probably the lowest id go for, iphone wise.

Android wise you can get a virgin mobile optimus slider for example for about $30-$40, and you can still use it without activating it on the virgin mobile network, so no monthly fee etc.

works great as a cheap mp3 player/youtube/movie player as well.

But if you can swing it, go for a second hand google nexus 7 tablet. they are about $150 second hand.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct 2 General