Cheap phone

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, lots to mull on. Since it would be purely for developing, I'll go for something very cheap with no contract. I guess the weaker it is, the more I'll have to be careful with objects etc, so I'll go for something at the bottom end of the scale.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:07 pm

If you are looking for something cheap to develop on, try looking at the iPod Touch. A lot cheaper than a phone but, with all the functionality of one when it comes to developing apps and games. They are also a lot cheaper.
B
S

Post » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:44 pm

Have to say it's all very confusing, there are so many choices. I'm a pure desktop/web user and never messed around with any mobiles or tablets. Would be fun to make a game with a touch-screen but I don't want to be spending a fortune. Which of these use Windows 8? The W8 store looks quite promising right now since it's not so saturated.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 pm

This may sound like a dumb question but I really am clueless about these devices. Do I need a Wifi connection to use them with Construct 2, or is there another way to test my games on them? I don't have Wifi, I'm on cable. How do you develop for these platforms? Is it a case of developing on your PC, uploading them to a site then connecting with the phone/tablet to the site?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:45 pm

[QUOTE=farflamex]Which of these use Windows 8? The W8 store looks quite promising right now since it's not so saturated.[/QUOTE]

This might confuse you even more but Windows Phone 8 is for the Windows Phone Store, and the Windows Store is for tablets, and computers running the Windows 8 OS.

[QUOTE=farflamex]Do I need a Wifi connection to use them with Construct 2, or is there another way to test my games on them? I don't have Wifi, I'm on cable.[/QUOTE]

No you don't need WiFi if your going with a phone instead of a tablet since smart phones require a data plan wether that be month by month billing or prepaid. But it is highly recommended to use WiFi whenever possible or your phone bill could end up being hundreds, if not thousands of dollars per month.

If your on cable you should have a wireless WiFi router it's that little box that connects your cable to your computer. If you don't have one for some reason just ask your cable provider they usually include them with there service. If not there pretty cheap to buy.

[QUOTE=farflamex]How do you develop for these platforms? Is it a case of developing on your PC, uploading them to a site then connecting with the phone/tablet to the site? [/QUOTE]

Iv been developing for Android. Each platform is different, and has one or more different options to choose from for developing. I develop on my computer then export as a CocoonJS export. Then I upload the exported .zip file to DropBox. From there I open it with the Ludei CocoonJS Launcher (it's an app available in the Google Play Store). It allows you to test, and debug your game on an android devise. After all that and my game is ready I then upload it to the CocoonJS Cloud Compiler on Ludei's site, and compile it. Then I get a unsigned APK file in my email from Ludei.

After all that then I Create a keystore file, sign my .apk file, zipalign my .apk file, and then its ready for upload to Google Play Store.

The first time through may seem like a painful process but it gets easier.

Here are some links to things you might want to read over before you choose what platform you want to develop for:

How to make Android games

How to preview on a local network

How to export to CocoonJS

Create Android Games

Android games with CocoonJS

Some Windows Phone 8 info:

How to make a Windows Phone 8 app

Plugin Windows Phone

Here is some info about a new accelerated canvas option under development for PhoneGap:

Pender Project - Android Accelerated Canvas

Pender Android for Phonegap Cordova

Some people have there C2 games in the BlackBerry 10 World store but I can't find any info on how they did it. Also Construct 2 doesn't have a exporter for BB10 or officially support it yet. But this thread would be the one to watch for future info:

BlackBerry 10 and Construct 2

I hope this helps answer a few questions, and doesn't leave you even more confused. lolWink2013-03-31 00:00:40
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks man, the more info the merrier, I'll get reading.

I've just finished a game for Windows, just trying to see if I can get it released now. But after looking around, I really think it's best to do simple games for as many platforms as possible. So I want to get started on this whole tablet/phone stuff and see where it leads me. For one thing, I need to start working with touch-screen instead of mouse, so my whole thinking about games needs to alter slightly. I'll look for the cheapest possible phone/tablet and try to think up game ideas that work on that. Then I can look into other platforms.

As you said in an earlier post, Windows 8 looks most promising right now since it's under-saturated. I'm going to install W8 on this PC, then maybe get some touch-screen device to develop simpler W8 games for tablets or whatever. So I guess right the best bet might be some cheap W8 tablet or... something, lol xD
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:22 am

Your welcome farflamex

Just remember the windows phone 8 store is for windows 8 phones only. While the Windows 8 store is for tablets, and PC running Windows 8 OS only. I just don't want you to be disappointed with the platform you choose, and there differences.

Also I believe you need windows 8 pro, and some other system requirements to run the new visual studios development tools. For example my PC is 3 years old so the windows phone 8 emulator wont run on my PC. Just read over Microsoft's dev centers tools system requirements before purchasing Windows 8 OS. Wink2013-03-31 00:29:01
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:31 am

Luckily, it was W8 Pro that I ordered. It was 100 direct from Microsoft but only 50 on Amazon - no idea why but I read through and people were saying the same thing, but the Amazon version is the correct one.

That'll allow me to develop for W8 Store then. So now I need a cheap W8 phone or something for testing.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 am

Here is a cheap Windows Phone 8:

Nokia Lumia 620

It says in the U.K. starting at 150 but look at the hardware specs 512MB of RAM. Not much there but the rest of it sounds like the first Samsung Galaxy S.

I guess if you could get a game to run well on it it would run on all Windows Phone 8's. Sounds like what you were looking for. I just wish they sold them in the U.S. I would probably get one.

Edit:

If you read down that page it says that "the Lumia 620 is not such a great choice for pocket gamers". But nether was the first Samsung Galaxy S that I used last year.

On a good note it looks like IE11 may support WebGL in the future which would make your games run fast on that phone.Wink2013-03-31 04:39:03
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:38 am

Looks like a winner, cheap and it's got plenty of good reviews on Amazon. It doesn't look like the best phone out there but that's the point really, and people are saying it's pretty good, even with games. Thanks :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General