Cheeseman

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
  • Right now this game's only purpose was to learn construct. I went through the platform tutorial by deadeye, and did some things myself. There's not really a concept to it yet, but I guess I'll just see where it goes in my sleepless nights. The (childish) art is all done by me, it's my first time trying to learn pixel art, so it's not very good, and a lot of the art i made, i didn't take too seriously.

Comments and bugs reports are greatly appreciated. (and yes i know about that tile underneath the cloud )

Download

• Oh man, this game is unpolished in so many ways, yet somehow that gives it charm haha

A few little things I noticed:

• if you shoot a hamburger to the right, then press left, the hamburgers will start moving left
    • falling off of the clouds into the pit just makes you land in the pit and you don't die

The art might be childish, but it's so random that it's more creative than anything else and looks kind of neat, actually XD

And if you're planning on doing tile-based platformers, take a look at the work Nifflas does. It's all very simple pixel art, but he puts so imagination into it that it just works well. :) Knytt Stories in particular comes with a huge database of tilesets (made by various people, not just Nifflas) in the level editor that are sure to give you ideas of how to make some nice tilesets.

Also! Love the music :D

If you're planning on continuing on this particular project, my suggestion would be to fix up the bugs, then just expand the area and continue making lots of wacky little objects here and there. :) Right now what makes your game fun (to me at least) is that it's interesting just to look at and listen to, maybe not for the gameplay but more of an experience.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that for most platformers (especially ones with collectibles) it's important to be able to get back to anywhere in the level you were before in case you missed something. In your level right now, after you jump off the little cliff you can't get back up, meaning you're confined to the small area after the cliff.

• Oh man, this game is unpolished in so many ways, yet somehow that gives it charm haha

A few little things I noticed:

- if you shoot a hamburger to the right, then press left, the hamburgers will start moving left

- falling off of the clouds into the pit just makes you land in the pit and you don't die

The art might be childish, but it's so random that it's more creative than anything else and looks kind of neat, actually XD

And if you're planning on doing tile-based platformers, take a look at the work Nifflas does. It's all very simple pixel art, but he puts so imagination into it that it just works well. Knytt Stories in particular comes with a huge database of tilesets (made by various people, not just Nifflas) in the level editor that are sure to give you ideas of how to make some nice tilesets.

Also! Love the music

If you're planning on continuing on this particular project, my suggestion would be to fix up the bugs, then just expand the area and continue making lots of wacky little objects here and there. Right now what makes your game fun (to me at least) is that it's interesting just to look at and listen to, maybe not for the gameplay but more of an experience.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that for most platformers (especially ones with collectibles) it's important to be able to get back to anywhere in the level you were before in case you missed something. In your level right now, after you jump off the little cliff you can't get back up, meaning you're confined to the small area after the cliff.

already knew those bugs, but thanks anyway! I've been to lazy to make it possible to die and i can't seem to fix the one with the hamburgers.

nifflas is one of my sources of inspiration when i draw. his art is so awesome and i love the style and atmosphere of all his games. thanksx100 for all the kind words! it gives me a lot of motivation to work on it even more!

im going to make lots of wacky objects and weird tilesets starting today i think.

• Lol that was pretty cool man. I love the art style. Appart from the few bugs already mentioned, it was a neat little experiment, and the little touches you added to the character (like the glowing antennae) are really neat.

I hope to see this developed into something bigger

~Sol

• Lol that was pretty cool man. I love the art style. Appart from the few bugs already mentioned, it was a neat little experiment, and the little touches you added to the character (like the glowing antennae) are really neat.

I hope to see this developed into something bigger

~Sol

Thanks alot man. wasn't expecting any positive comments at all

I'm going to add a lot of new things over the next few weeks. Update the tilesets a bit, make some new ones and draw a lot of things so that the game will never be boring to at least look at.

I don't think I'll do major gameplay things before deadeyes tutorials start coming again though!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • No worries mate

By the way, if you can't figure out why the burgers turn around when you press left, post up a cap file so we can take a look at it... probably something simple you are missing.

Good luck!

~Sol

• Here it is. It's under the animation event sheet.

• Here it is. It's under the animation event sheet.

When I open the event sheet in the latest version, I get some kind of error along the lines of "An invalid event was refrenced" or something like that. I basically can't scroll down or anything, and I can only see the first 6-8 events listed.

You may have to update, and then go through deleting or disabling events one by one until it works before I'll be able to help... or maybe Ash/Dave/Rich can test it out for you in debug mode?

~Sol

• what the.. thats weird. it works for me (using latest version too). i was thinking of maybe optimizing everything. naming stuff correctly. deleting things that have no use and optimizing everything that can be. hopefully that will help. for now, see if this one works:

http://willhostforfood.com/files3/2223042/platform.cap

if it doesn't could it be that the resource file for the song isn't sent along with the .cap? it must be something localized on my computer thats going wrong. some reg key or config file thats different from yours. just seems weird.

EDIT: here's a screengrab of the animation event sheet:

• I found the problem with the hamburger. Under event 10, you need to place the set angle action into it's sub-event where the space key is pressed. The way it is now it's setting the angle of already existing burgers instead of the one being created. Just remember, if you're creating an object, always place the actions setting angle/size/whatever in the event where it's created. Newly created objects are always picked in the event they're created in.

Also, I played your game, and I kind of like the style. A couple of things about the gameplay, though. There wasn't actually anything to shoot with the burgers, which makes them kind of pointless. The second thing is that I think the jump power should be lower, but you should set a jump sustain so you can have variable jump heights.

• I found the problem with the hamburger. Under event 10, you need to place the set angle action into it's sub-event where the space key is pressed. The way it is now it's setting the angle of already existing burgers instead of the one being created. Just remember, if you're creating an object, always place the actions setting angle/size/whatever in the event where it's created. Newly created objects are always picked in the event they're created in.

Also, I played your game, and I kind of like the style. A couple of things about the gameplay, though. There wasn't actually anything to shoot with the burgers, which makes them kind of pointless. The second thing is that I think the jump power should be lower, but you should set a jump sustain so you can have variable jump heights.

i put the "set angle to 180" at the top of the space key pressed sub-event and it still doesn't work. now it doesn't fire the burgers left like it should, but still right, and when you are facing left and press space, the burgers go left.

thanks. yeah thats a work in progress. thanks for the comments.

• You need to put the action below the object creation action, otherwise it won't know which object to pick.

• Works now:), thanks!

I have another problem though! It's described in this thread:

EDIT: never mind. resolved it! god i love this program and this forum. once you get the hang of it, mostly everything comes down to logic.

• Ah glad you got that sorted out.

I was meaning to come back and check for a reply eariler but I have been rather busy with "family" stuff over the last day or two.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask... everyone here is pretty keen to help out.

~Sol

• Ah glad you got that sorted out.

I was meaning to come back and check for a reply eariler but I have been rather busy with "family" stuff over the last day or two.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask... everyone here is pretty keen to help out.

~Sol

okay!:) yeah i love this place.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)