Choice of music whilst programming?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:11 pm

Dependents on my mood, but now days I mostly listen to Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Beethoven and many other composers of romantic period. Sometimes I will pop in a movie soundtrack, or electronic music ( trance, dnb, dubstep, psychodelic etc ). Can't listen to rock music cause my favorite bands indulge me too much in to their music ( alto with my favorite symphonic music I do sometimes stop programming and listen ).

But going back to symphonic music - I love it especially in the early stages when programming and designing because it take me into many places, and inspire me on different levels which then translates in to really good ideas.

PS( Romantic doesn't mean roses, moon, dinner with candles etc. It'a common misconception but true name for that is sentimentalism, and it's bs. Romantic means emotionally polarized. ;) )
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:22 am

I usually listen to audio lessons to learn Japanese.
Japanesepod101 is ok actually.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:19 am

Silence is golden... but programming in it? Tough one--I'd hear my own thoughts! Gotta drown it out, just a bit. Sometimes silence makes me over-think a problem, which is awesome for meditating.

Pink Floyd is ear candy for me, followed closely by Metallica, 311, and Celtic tunes.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 am

It's very interesting to see the different music and different reasons to why one listens to particular music (or not :P) when they are developing! I've taken a liking to the radio stations that @jojoe mentioned, pretty awesome!

Another thing I tend to do, is use Winamp + "Pacemaker" plugin, which allows you to alter the tempo/pitch of an audio file in realtime. I would lower the pitch slightly, and the tempo slightly more, gives a whole new spin on how the music sounds (It can make most songs feel more chilled and less distracting as they are slower!). It works for Rock music very well in my opinion, just got to adjust it right!
I believe this is how mediocre "Nightcore" remixes are made, so if you like Nightcore, you'd probably really enjoy doing this!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:51 pm

I find it impossible to do anything constructive whilst listening to music unless its on without my knowing if that makes sense. I just cant concentrate otherwise :(
I like to get down with my badself and bust out some superior boogie moves.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Having 4 kids my background noise is generally nickeldeon related :\

when their in bed ... siiiilllleeeeeennnceee    ;p
Who dares wins
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Mostly game and movie soundtracks like Unreal, Brutal doom, Blade runner, Red alert, Quake 1,2 and 3, fallout 1&2, Path of exile, Wings (nostalgia for me )...

Also Carbon based lifeforms, Devin Townsend and TeknoAxe.

And sometimes I notice there is nothing playing.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:20 pm

[QUOTE=lennaert] Having 4 kids my background noise is generally nickeldeon related :\

when their in bed ... siiiilllleeeeeennnceee    ;p[/QUOTE]
Lol, Cbeebies, nickeldeon, etc - just want every non parent to endure what we have to lol.
I've learned to love "Silence", especially when I work now.
I have outside office, but when my little one joins me, he sits on my lap and watches Super simple songs on youtube on the 2nd monitor whilst I do some work on primary monitor - lol.

You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:14 pm

Sometimes TV or Dota 2 streams on the side.
If I listen to music, it can be different kinds though:
- Soundtracks, Musicals (Inception, Social Network, Portal 2, Les Miserables, Mathilda)
- Ambient/Instrumental (tipp: A Winged Victory for the Sullen - A Winged Victory for the Sullen, very calming; Apparat, The Flashbulb, Air, Ryksopp)
- electro / house / electro swing / synth pop / goa / trance (examples: Daft Punk, Crystal Castles, Cut Copy, Parov Stelar, Vangelis)
- Chiptunes, 8bitsongs (old demoscene stuff, Anamanaguchi, She, Slagsmalsklubben)
- singer songwriting, Alternative (examples: The XX, Miike Snow)

sometimes I want calming music, but often I don't mind some energetic music, so that's what runs the mostmindfaQ2013-11-29 14:21:56
Visual Novel 'Engine' in 100 Events
if you ever have to choose between buying Construct 2 on scirra.com or on Steam, read this: Review
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Well for myself

Symphonic Metal(Xandria, Epica, NightWish, Kamelot....)
Dead can Dance(whatever you would call it)
Beetles, Johny Cash, Bowie, kate Bush

... meh. it wll be easier to just mention what I won't and don't listen too

Older Country, newer I like.
Hip-Hop & Rap(I do listen to older rap though)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic