Chrome for android audio lag

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
100+ Musical High Quality Sound Effects for your game!
  • Hi, i did some tests on my 3 android devices, and i'm getting a big audio lag in Chrome for android(35.0.1916.141) and beta version too.

Here's the video of two them performing vs my iPad 2.

Android devices latency:more than 297 milliseconds.

iPad 2 Safari latency: no lag.

Chrome for Android audio latency

Should i report this to Chrome?... maybe my devices are all crap.

297 ms is a big and audible lag that ruins any gameplay, if someone can test this and give me the feedback, i would appreciate.

Edit:I ran the test both on server and wifi local preview, with different audio samples, mono, stereo, file sizes , with different

conditions, all with the same results.

• Music needs a preload trigger for at least 1 second before playing, to have consistent results on mobiles (most Android devices I've tested).

Sound itself WILL lag the first time a sound is played, but subsequent play of the same sound will not lag.

To prevent this lag, I suggest you preload the sounds you need for that stage/level on start of layout.

• Music needs a preload trigger for at least 1 second before playing, to have consistent results on mobiles (most Android devices I've tested).

Sound itself WILL lag the first time a sound is played, but subsequent play of the same sound will not lag.

To prevent this lag, I suggest you preload the sounds you need for that stage/level on start of layout.

Yes i know , i always preload all the sounds.The answer I would like to know is, do you have any lag in your android devices and chrome for android?Thanks.

• Sound effects? No lag after the first sound is played.

Music, no lag after preloading either.

• Sound effects? No lag after the first sound is played.

Music, no lag after preloading either.

Ok thanks, i have to test this in a extended set of android devices to figure out what's going on, but it's a little bit weird to have this problem in all android devices.

• There's not much latency on my Nexus 5. However some older Android devices have pretty laggy audio support. I think it's system wide - try testing a different (native?) app and see if it's the same. Which devices are you testing exactly and what version of Android are they running?

• There's not much latency on my Nexus 5. However some older Android devices have pretty laggy audio support. I think it's system wide - try testing a different (native?) app and see if it's the same. Which devices are you testing exactly and what version of Android are they running?

OK Ashley thanks , next week i will try to test this in a few more android devices, and i will report the entire set results.

• Dont use preload, its broken on iOS and Ashley says its intended.

Do what I did right now. Put your music files in sounds folder and you are good to go. Even if someone have extremely crappy internet connection they wont hear jittery playback.

• Put your music files in sounds folder and you are good to go.

You really should not do that. It will cause extremely high memory usage, and sounds are not coded to ever release their memory, so the more music tracks you play, the higher your memory usage goes. A single decompressed track could be 40mb+, so most devices will only have enough free memory to play two or three music tracks.

• > Put your music files in sounds folder and you are good to go.

>

You really should not do that. It will cause extremely high memory usage, and sounds are not coded to ever release their memory, so the more music tracks you play, the higher your memory usage goes. A single decompressed track could be 40mb+, so most devices will only have enough free memory to play two or three music tracks.

Ashley

I'm well aware.

I play only one music track per game, and since preloading is broken on ios thats my only option.

• PKrawczynski - why does preloading music matter? Is it important if music starts playing a moment later or in the first touch?

• I have the same issue on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. There is a slight delay in all sounds played. (I use crosswalk and XDK) I've learned to live with it for now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • PKrawczynski - why does preloading music matter? Is it important if music starts playing a moment later or in the first touch?

Ashley

Preloading matters because music cant be streamed as clients will report that music sounds jittery on older devices or when connection is very bad. Preloading did solve those issues for them and reports stopped coming except occasional "music takes long time to start playing" but it was fairly easy to explain that its ios fault - as you said, it can be played only after first touch.

Sadly streamed music does not cut it for spil, booster media, and many others. Flash like quality experience is kinda target for html5 games (in mobile browser, im not talking about apps) right now, long gone are times where games could go away with no music and sfx.

What they would be MOST happy with, is if game didnt start until all the assets AND music would load, all the while displaying progress bar with percentage text how much total of both is already loaded, and only after both are loaded player is pushed to main game screen. Which probably as we both know is pretty terrible idea because loading music can take a lot of additional time, and there is no guarantee ever some browser/device combination wont have broken audio api or whatever, shit happens with html5 if i may say so.

Personally I'm happy enough with these workaround for time being, maybe Apple at some point will change their policy to audio in browser like they finally are catching up with fullscreen issues, webgl and accelerated js in non stock safari wrappers. It would be still kinda neat to have working preloading in newer c2 versions along way to tell how much of music has loaded as there is no variable to access that

Anyway Ashley I would like to say construct2 is really great tool i've evaluated couple of them in past months and tried but so far nothing beats how easy is it to create small-medium games, so kudos for that to you. Small issues like this with sound are to be expected and they are understandable.

Hi Ashley, here are the audio latency results, in Chrome for Android, for all my android devices:

Samsung galaxy core plus, Android 4.2.2, Chrome 35.0.1916.141: 231ms

LG L4, Android 4.1.2, Chrome 35.0.1916.138:297ms

Asus Memopad hd 7 tablet, Android 4.2.2, Chrome 35.0.1916.141: 297ms

Growing Wolf quad core, Android 4.2.1, Chrome 35,0.1916.141: 297ms

The audio lag is similar in Chrome beta.

None of these devices come close to my iPad 2/Safari, with no lag at all.

The performance of these devices with native apps seems to be ok.

• How are you measuring latency?

I don't think there's anything we can do anyway, since the delay must be in Chrome or possibly the Android OS. There is no delay on C2's side, it says to play audio right away, and it does play right away on all other platforms.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)