City of Amber

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:51 pm

LDC Studios wrote:I actually always enjoyed the old tank controls too. I don't remember anyone ever complaining about them until RE4 (still tank controls) came out. Then hating tank controls became a sort of a fad.

Thing about tank controls is they have to come with either a fixed angle like the RE games or a fixed camera like SH. Adds to the atmosphere and horror. These days it's all about jump scares.
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:46 pm

It's all about the times too. The majority have been enjoying the concept of jumpscares every 5 minutes because it's exciting to them. They like the "instant gratification" of the scare because we live in fast times now. People will feel like their time is being wasted otherwise. That's why tutorials and cutscenes are becoming less and less popular these days too. People wanna be able to just gogogo without having time to think. Eventually more and more people will be asking for the old subtle atmospheric horror back though. It's a weird cycle that these things go through. Sometimes it can take decades to pass.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Here's a screen showing some action using the machete

B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:30 pm

It's taken some time, but the opening to City of Amber is finally complete! This game contains more sensitive subjects than its predecessor, GP. There is extreme violence, mild (but tasteful) nudity, and controversial political views. Enjoy!

As a note: The political views presented in this game are not meant to be taken to heart, just used as a tool to better define our heroine...

B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:12 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to toss out some development notes and fun facts that compare and contrast GP: Redux and City of Amber today.

To start, Grave Prosperity was never presented with a story. It was meant to slowly unravel as the game progressed through its episodic play. Unfortunately that meant that nothing was known about the Protagonist either. It made it difficult to really care about Amber and what she was doing. With City of Amber I decided to make it in the exact opposite way.

This time you will know your character's past, her feelings on that past, and where she plans to take her future- all right out of the gate. Even her body is a representation of her history and character. From the battle scars that cover her back, to the large wings tattooed under them which represent her desire for freedom from her current life. Everything tells a story in this game. And the rather thickly laid on theme in the intro will have heavy influence over the creatures and horrors Lilly will encounter in Prosperity. There aren't just unexplainable nastys crawling around in the dark anymore. Now many of the monsters (and sometimes locations) will be a product of Lilly's own personal demons and faltering sanity.

There is a lot going into this on all fronts, and I am very excited about its completion!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:31 am

Here's a couple new screens to show some of the work that's been going on lately:

Sneaking up on the Caged Smiler

The outside of Prosperity's Asylum
B
S
G

Post » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 am

So up to this point I have shown some action and some visuals. Now lets's take a look at a little bit of horror! In this scene we are introduced to the Caged Smiler, and presented with the task of retrieving its keys:

B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Anybody recognize this horrible abomination? That's right... They're making a return, but this time with 100% LESS unfair teleporting murder-y-ness! Welcome back the Scavenger enemy type!

B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Nice game, will try it out later. Keep working! :D
B
S

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:00 pm

Since updates are few between because of the amount of work it takes to make content, I have decided to try something new!
I may start posting videos of some of the animation processes as they are being made. Just to show progress, and as something fun for people to follow along with if they want.
If you enjoy it then I'll make it a regular thing! Here's the first video:
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests