Classic Games - Case Study

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:28 am

No MSX, or Commodore amiga old users here? :) Ioved playing rick dangerous 2, prince of persia, superfrog, speedball 2 , chaos engine, and one of my favourite strategy games at the time Dune 2. On ms dos I was addicted to graphic adventures like day of yhe tentacle , sam& max , leisure suit larry etc... (damn I feel old haha). So many awesome games with such different mechanics where we can learn a lot to implement nowadays on our games. For those who had spectrum jet set willy, commando and target renegade, chuckie egg, awesome games and good old times! Still have all of them on my retro collection ;) Ill stop giving the old guy speech lol cheers and a nice discussing topic :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:19 am

@Brainvibe Yeah some Amiga games still hold up today, Turrican, Stunt car racer, favorite strategy game was Nuclear war, what a game!

loads of classic speccy games are gagging for a remake, jetpac, Zub ect, ect list is endless...

Anyways welcome to the old codgers corner, feel free to grumble about any new fangled thing ya like...
As long as I can move left, right and fire, I'm Happy...
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Pixel perfick wrote:@peterbot1970
@jbickel
@megatronx

Williams Defender was the inspiration for My last game,

play the demo here...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 ... index.html

Bit of a blatant plug, but what the hell... :lol:
Nice! I have been playing the original on that disc I mentioned earlier. I always liked how the player explosion looked like a supernova.

Also, I came from the days of C64 & Amiga... @Pixelperfick - Nuclear War was a great game. There is a web re-make of it out there somewhere. Another great game from that time period was Megalomania.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:55 pm

@derikvlog :talking about programming challenges: I couldn't find the film from my memory- an interview with David Braben (author of legendary Elite) but found this documentary instead. Its an interesting story full of little tricks and solutions and ideas :) - but look beyond cheesy documentary format :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWoF5uVgbA

Respect to David and the whole team! and good luck with Elite:Dangerous !!!
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:08 pm

@peterbot1970 :O man .... you opened a whole can 'o worms there with MAME. That is also a whole universe to explore! Nice list of games to play and study there. Thanks! Keep the stories from MAME comin' :)

@brainvibe : Its like you described my list of must see games - we have similar gaming history it seems... Albeit C64 (home computer era in general) platform is before my time, I'm an avid C64 (Amiga also......) fan. I even rescued an old C64 from trash (some people don't care or don't know or .....) and I keep it for my C64 fix. Man,..... it works like a charm. Funny, I fired it up after some time. Not a hint of noise, instant boot, keyboard feels like you wanna type anything just for the sake of typing .... what a machine :D

@Pixelperfick : I dont know why, but art in your game demo looks very appealing. nice work :)
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:15 pm

I found an interesting Blog entry. The Art of Shadow of the Colossus by Frederic Fourcade. Author explores the art style and a bit of game design in a legendary PS2 game Shadow of the Colossus. (I adore this game BUT I never played it for long....it is on my MUST play list! ...yea yea..I know.. :) ... never owned a Playstation so.... heck ....).

enjoy:
http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Frederic ... uction.php
B
S

Post » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:42 pm

@Pixelperfick your game definitely makes me remember and feel the old days ;) nice work my friend!

@moxBorealis I still fire up my Amiga 1200 to play some classics, like our friend @Pixelperfick mentioned TURRICAN! I know that there's some good emulators out there but playing it on the real machine is something else! I have a C64 too, you might want to look at this nice SD card reader http://www.sd2iec.co.uk/id14.html for the C64, you can boot up all the games with an sd card on your C64 . It's just awesome :D

It's good to talk about the old machines with some C2 devs around here :) Cheers!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:01 am

I myself am an Atari man and was always looking with envy at all those commodore games while I knew my Atari could also handle these (more or less). My first Atari was the 2600, my father bought it in the states when it came out and in holland since we had a differend tv standard I could only play the two games I had in black and white, the colors were gone and the sound was 4 channels away ;-) I had to wait 4 years before the first one came out in Holland and ofcourse the games weren't compatible...but the Combat game was and is still a classic. Then I went on to the 600 and 800 XL and then Atari ST...after that puberty hit and dating and partying became more important for me ;-) And don't forget all the quarters I spend in the arcades.....thank god for Mame, saves me a whole bunch of quarters ;-) Now, don't get me started on pinball machines ;-)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:52 am

@peterbot1970 I remember the big battle between Atari ST vs Amiga in the day. I remember that wasn't easy to find an Atari st back in the day too. At least where I lived. But I miss those times! And Atari 2600 such an awesome classic hands down!
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:34 pm

Brainvibe wrote:@peterbot1970 I remember the big battle between Atari ST vs Amiga in the day. I remember that wasn't easy to find an Atari st back in the day too. At least where I lived. But I miss those times! And Atari 2600 such an awesome classic hands down!

Those were the days, first playing the original game in the arcades, waiting for months until if finally got converted to the home computers and always be dissapointed but anxious to play ;-) And yeah, the rivalry between Atari and Commodore. In every shop it was always 1 atari game to 10 commodore games...and don't forget the cassette tapes........loading times of half an hour to 1 hour - one thing Atari never had was the speedload function ;-)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas