Classic Games - Case Study

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 pm

I would like to dedicate a thread discussing classic or legendary games (on any platform - c64 to PS4 if you will...) that defined and expanded on its own genre. We could debate which games should be in this category and why. We could also discuss about classic game recreations in C2 - as a learning/design case study and what can be learned from them, what caveats to avoid and so forth.

you are welcome to share your perspective

to start: I think learning classics are recreations of Pong to start, followed by Space invaders and one and only Tetris :), did you try these classics in C2?

btw. please also discuss newer legendary games so we dont get stuck in 80s :)
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 pm

so have any of you attempted a classic game recreation in C2?
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:48 pm

ok ill try to break the ice... i hope...

Very nice recreation of Breakout can be found on forum. The game was published by Atari in 70s. By my opinion, it is a design beauty, although it is a recreation itself - almost.

Author: Stemkoski.
Acompaning tutorial was also posted:
http://www.scirra.com/tutorials/312/cloning-the-classics-breakout-video

Thx to Stemkoski! This is definitely a classic recreation where first challenges in game design are commonly encountered.

bye bye
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:57 pm

For a more recent representative I found a Super Meat Boy recreation made in C2.

An indie classic by Team Meat, published in 2010. Representative of very tightly controlled platformer with novel actor-movement and actor-environment interaction.

I think this recreation could be a good C2 benchmark.

Author:lmchucho! Thx lmchucho (as he uploaded capx).
B
S

Post » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:06 pm

ok third ice-braking post :)

Found a true gaming LEGEND recreation with accompanying tutorial.
The game (or game series) is Bomberman by Hudson Soft. This pure game design gem does need no commentary :)

Author: Kyatric. THX!
http://gamedev.tutsplus.com/tutorials/from-scratch/construct-2-bombing-chap-player-and-level/

bye bye

p.s. in my country the most popular installment was Dyna Blaster on DOS or simply Dyna :)
B
S

Post » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:57 am

I remember playing Dynablaster. A nice alternative to bomberman on PC and open source if I remember correctly.

@stemkoski also made a tutorial about pacman, very interesting one, at that.

One of my earlier tutorial was about Missile command a very old game which design turns around the third world war/nuclear assault theme and is a game where you can't win and have, in the end to make decision on what cities to save.
I remember having read documents about this peculiar game design, I can't remember the links though, a google search may help though.

I'm also curating some game design videos/documents on my website (link in my profile) for anyone who's interested and willing to take the time to check those out Kyatric2013-10-27 06:00:51
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:36 pm

O yes. Missile Command from the great golden age of gaming 80s. Published by Atari in 1980 and licenced to Sega.

Game design of MC ultimately forces player to make "advanced" decisions. It is believed nowadays (especially in the retro-gaming community) that modern titles lead player by the hand too much. I do not necessary share this opinion, but nevertheless it is an art in itself constructing the right difficulty curve. Sometimes frustration and enjoyment are on a sharp edge :).

Old but check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvnRBywkUZ0

:)
B
S

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:14 pm

I came into videogames during the so called "Golden Era".

I started by borrowing my cousins Super Nintendo for the summer (18 years later and I still haven't given it back hahaha) and got hooked on Super Mario World. The console is broken now, but I recently got a SNES emulator on my phone and got hooked all over again to SMW. I absolutely love it; the world map, the idea that you can go back and replay levels to find secrets (no joke, I'm discovering hidden levels all these years later). It just defines classic platforming in a pure sense that a lot of games use as a base to this day. I've even found myself yearning to make a SMW-type platformer, but I've another game to focus on.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:54 am

also started using a SNES system.

Perhaps thats why I love 2D-Games and Construct so much. It gives me the feeling of being young again :)
Check out our start-up and configure your own helmet in true 3D.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 pm

GREAT. SNES people! Where I come from, consoles were but a dream :). We were "stuck" on C64/speccy kombo going on PC that was the golden standard. OK,
you could see an occasional Amiga but that is another story in itself (Amiga was hardware from the future from my standpoint and the whole computer history would be different
if Amiga people played their cards right...)

I later revisited consoles and "the Mario" of course is archetype of platformers. Nowadays these legendary systems can be revisited on many quality emulators:

NES - Nestopia, FCEUX
SNES - ZSNES
NINTENDO 64 - project 64
GameBoy - gameboid, VisualBoy Advanced
Playstation - ePSXe
Plazstation2 - PCSX2
Dreamcast - any good recommendations?

If you have any good emulator recommendations please post.

byebye
moxBorealis
B
S

Next

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas