Clever ways to handle lots off screens/layouts?

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:52 pm

Im currently doing a platform game which will require quite a few screens/layouts. My first thought was to simply duplicate the first layout and change that, but that crashes construct, and its also rather messy methinks.
Another way im thinking of is to just have one huge layout and simply move the camera, but that strikes me as rather messy to, it would also take up a lot unnecessary cpu/ram.

Is there anyone who have tackled the same problem and developed a good solution?
B
G

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:06 pm

You should duplicate layouts. If it crashes, that's a bug. Did you report it to the tracker?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:30 pm

[quote="Ashley":3uyzheyd]You should duplicate layouts. If it crashes, that's a bug. Did you report it to the tracker?[/quote:3uyzheyd]
Well, no. It crashes when you do a layout change to a duplicate, that uses the originals event sheet, or if you include the original even sheet in the duplicates event sheet.

I would report it to the bugtracker (or ill do it after my deadline) if i had the time to really isolate the crashing factor and replicate it.
B
G

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:39 pm

I can bring everything over to the new layout except anything with a physics behavior.

Ill probebly upload it to the bugtracker as soon as i come up with a workaround.
B
G

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:56 pm

I have successfully done things like this in the past. What you'd like to do is to make something like "Level template" and put all the events in special event sheet I usually call "Common". To make new level I just clone the level template and include the common event sheet.

The reason I explained this is because I am not sure whether you are cloning existing layout or copy-pasting objects from existing layout to new or creating new instance of the layout (Ctrl+C).

Only the former solution will work. Clipboard-related stuff (copy-paste) seems to be buggy as well as creating new instances.
B
G

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:23 pm

[quote="mirosurabu":xpqjqbja]The reason I explained this is because I am not sure whether you are cloning existing layout or copy-pasting objects from existing layout to new or creating new instance of the layout (Ctrl+C)[/quote:xpqjqbja]

I have tried both, and as soon as i add anything with physics the game crash (when switching layout).
B
G

Post » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Would you share a CAP file?
B
G

Post » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:02 am

Yes, please put every bug to do with this on the tracker! :D
B
S
G

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic