Clicking outside: Losing focus on the game

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:27 pm

I found using event from theubie works except... i couldn't get certain keys to return control in Chrome browser. Keys like Spacebar and Ctrl would always lose input but letter keys would return.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm

We've isolated the issue for Suro to only one of his layouts. I'm trying to figure out exactly what in the layout is causing it. That might give everyone more of a clue as to what's causing it.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 pm

My solution (for Kongregate) was to delete the Mouse plugin from my project, and use the Drag & Drop behavior and the objects that needed to be clicked. "On Drag" I would immediately force the object to be dropped.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:59 pm

This is an awesome game!!! Love it. However, it is almost unplayeable as it is. When I press space bar the browser "scrolls down" - no idea why. And I have managed to lose focus and clicking back into the game didn't refocus.

I love it when you get hit by the drinks trolley.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:17 pm

The spacebar issue is easily fixed. Suro just needs to place an empty On Spacebar pressed event. He's using on spacebar down for the actual control. By adding an event (even an empty) one to handle the spacebar pressed event it'll trap it from being seen by the browser.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Hey guys!

Thanks for playing and writing up the bugs.

@czar:
The space bar bug should be fixed now (thanks to theubie's help).
I never experienced that bug before, so I'd need you to play it once more to see if it is still happening.
(Newest Version should be 1.00e or higher, in the lower left corner).

As for the focusing problem, theubie and I am still one it :)
B
S

Post » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:13 pm

@Suro
I tried this version again

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/612273

I ctrl-F5 just in case

I click on the play button. Pressed space-bar and the browser shot to the bottom of the screen.

I scrolled up with my mouse, clicked on the game and now the spacebar worked as expected.
I then clicked on the surrounding area and bang the space bar shoots me down again.

I have tried it a few times since and it continues to be erratic at best.
czar2013-03-14 19:13:40
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:16 pm

@Suro - update

I don't have same spacebar problem with http://www.scirra.com/arcade/addicting-action-games/3596/clown-on-a-plane

However, with that link the game does not progress past the "loading" screen. I see the clown juggling, the load bar is completely red but it never moves on. If I then ctrl-F5 the title screen comes up immediately.

I am using Chrome that doesn't appear to have any quirks.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Ah yeah!
I actually haven't updated Newgrounds just yet since I want to go to the bottom of the "focus" problem first.

the loading screen bug is new. I saw it happen on an older Mac Pro at the office, but dismissed it, since it was an old maschine with a not up to date Safari.
I'll look into it!

Thanks for the testing so far!
B
S

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General