Cloning layout doesn't copy events.

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:49 pm

Cloning a layout doesn't copy events to cloned layout.
It's very annoying if you're making game. Also, bar at up doesn't have working Add\Remove layout buttons.
I hope it will be fixed in next version :).
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:04 pm

I'm not sure cloning a layout *should* copy the events. Then you end up in the situation when you have 10 levels with 10 copies of your game code - if you find a bug in your events, then you have 10 times as much work to do!

A much better solution is to clone the layout, then in the second layout's event sheet, just include the first layout's event sheet. You can then add any custom events that are solely relevant to that layout (eg. a special enemy/powerup), without having to have copies of all your general code like shooting.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Yes, that would kind of ruin the idea of event sheets. However, it could ask when cloning layout, whether the user wants to include event sheet into the cloned layout.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:15 pm

I can't copy events :(. I am selecting event, clicking copy and pasting. Nothing happens.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:27 pm

Ctrl+C doesn't seem to do anything, but clicking Copy on the ribbon bar works.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:40 pm

Doesn't works for me. It work only in one layout, i can't copy event into another layout.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:13 pm

[quote="Ashley":2ynlw7uy]Ctrl+C doesn't seem to do anything, but clicking Copy on the ribbon bar works.[/quote:2ynlw7uy]

Fix my favourite combo : CTRL+C, I'm dieing. I have to script 20 weapons' shoots all similar so it's really boring to press and press with mouse. Ctrl+C is faster.

[quote:2ynlw7uy]Doesn't works for me. It work only in one layout, i can't copy event into another layout.[/quote:2ynlw7uy]

It doesn't work for me too. Fix it or else I can't make other levels!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:38 pm

I have an idea for the Interface that may help with sheets and layouts:

[url:alr1a32i]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/ChrisDines/constructidea.png[/url:alr1a32i]

An extra part of the projects panel for showing event sheets.

In the Event Sheet Editor, you could even have the ability to drag a sheet from this panel onto the Event Sheet you have open in the Edit Area, and when you let go it would appear as an include where your mouse is.

The idea is that you have normal event sheets, and 'private' or 'local' event sheets. Normal ones are just includes, and local ones are level-specific. You have just one local one per Layout, and it can't be included by another sheet.

So for instance, in the above picture, we have some includable sheets that I've named:

- Loader Sheet
+ Custom Movements Group
-- Player - On Foot
-- Player - Driving
-- Player - Flying

In addition, there's a 'My Groovy Layout Events' (MGLE) sheet, which doesn't appear in this list, because it belongs to the 'My Groovy Layout' layout.

If I have code which is level specific, like 'enter the cave and the entrance collapses', this would go in the MGLE sheet. This sheet is local to that layout, a bit like a private variable.

This is also where we define any includes that this Layout will refer to.

Of those includes, I've (in the above example) chosen to have one include that handles all the others. So I've created a sheet called 'Loader' which determines what other includes will be refered to. So for instance, if there are no drivable cars in the level, it'll not bother to include the 'Player - Driving' sheet.

This could quite easily get around the problem of cloning events with layouts. When a layout is cloned, perhaps its private event sheet is cloned too. This would keep all your 'include' references intact, and would allow TGF users to use the methods they've got so used to.

But for the rest of us, it'd save us re-including the same sheets for every new level
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:22 pm

[quote="Drasa":2o22pl5z]Yes, that would kind of ruin the idea of event sheets. However, it could ask when cloning layout, whether the user wants to include event sheet into the cloned layout.[/quote:2o22pl5z]

Seconded. It's a simple, yet effective solution.

Though I do like Dine's idea for an Event Sheets tab too.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:06 pm

Yeah, Dines' idea is leads to most "logical" and structured system. Actually, I was going to suggest something like this too :D. First, I didn't like that the system is so strict that you actually can't include layout-specific event sheets to anywhere else, I just wanted a system which makes the structured arragement and management of events and event sheets easy; now the "additional" event sheets are like hidden in project's properties, which they shouldn't be.

Now that I think it, including event sheets from "just" another layouts (not from the "centeral structure") is kind of bad habit, like GOTO in program code. So, I think that Dine's system is pretty good. It has it's benefits, it kind of forces users to use more structured and effective ways.

Now, only thing that concerns me, what kind of UI would be good? I didn't fully get the Dines' picture... :P. Is the upper panel the Project bar? Maybe those funky words, pretty and groovy are just messing my thoughts... so groovy... :D

And btw, what's the purpose of Resource bar? There surely is some resources, but it feels somehow only half-necessary... I think that Resource bar could be integrated to the Project bar. Under the "Application" main node, there would be the layouts, as a part of the project and other resources.

Yup. Whaddaya think?
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion