Close-sourcing the HTML5 exporter

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:06 pm

[quote="Ashley":2zc9k4rm]I don't think any of those projects are worked on by full-timers. C2 needs fulltime work, it's that big a project.[/quote:2zc9k4rm]

You are right. We do the Gluon project in our leisure time.
B
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 pm

How does Game Editor legally require that licenses must be purchased? If the whole program is GPLv3, doesn't that mean I can just download the source, build it, and I've got my own Game Editor I can do what I like with?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:30 pm

The executables have to be licensed under GPLv3 due to the linking done in the creation process. If you license your game under the GPL, you can distribute it for free; if you want to use another license, you have to buy a non-GPL license sothat the viral nature doesn't come into play.

You could fork the project, and re-write the executable creation process in a way that abstracts all Game-Editor code to ensure that no GPL code is linked; however, it would be tricky..
B
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:30 pm

Little off topic:

Why do some of you guys strongly dislikes the splash screens? I like to give the credit to everybody that have a hand in the game development and that includes the game engines. So I don't mind the title splash screen personally.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:54 pm

I don't think people mind giving the recognition; but I think they'd like to control how the recognition is given.

I'd love to make a custom splash screen with the C2 logo in the style of my game. A generic splash screen at the intro reminds me how I power mash the escape key through all those "Nvidia" "Havok Engine" screens at the the beginning of big budget games. I hate when I can't do that. I mind less when they make those inline with the game (and sometimes really like it!)

That being said, I'm just playing devils advocate. I'm going to call my game "Construct 2" and make all the characters and platforms little green C-gears. :P
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 pm

Construct splash for loading screen.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:10 pm

I despise splash screens ... if you want to force a logo requirement, then provide a logo that must be placed within the game. Then at least the user has control over how it is displayed (obviously it must be clearly visible), and hopefully when as well.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:56 pm

the whole idea of the logo or splash is that it is undesirable
you get to try out the product, make a full game if you wish
then you say, you know what, I've gotten this far. my game is awesome. I want to sell it. Construct 2 is definitely a worthwhile investment. Let me pay the license, and get rid of this logo

or it irks you 5 days into using it, and you pay for it then.
It seems a fairly harmless thing to me, for what's basically an endless free trial
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:00 am

Except being annoying isn't the best way to sell your product. There are other options. You're just as likely to push someone to a different product with no splash screen as you are to entice a purchase.

In reality though, if removing a splash screen was like $20 or something, then it wouldn't be an issue, but you can't live off that kind of price with this kind of software.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:00 am

[quote="Mipey":3br9nhit]Construct splash for loading screen.[/quote:3br9nhit]

Heh, a little cog wheel for the html5 preloader.
I dont think anyone would mind that, if it looks cool and all.
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General