[CLOSED] Question to Ashley about piracy

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 6:08 am

@dimakoles,

While it's entirely possible Scirra would prefer not to discuss their anti-piracy features in specific, one common method used by other companies is to "imprint" published works with the license used to produce it. If a product is being sold which is imprinted with a known pirated license, or a license registered to a person other than the seller, the company can demonstrate theft.

Scirra may or may not employ that method, but it is one such example.
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 am

[QUOTE=zendorf] Why would anyone even bother to pirate C2 when there is a free version anyway?[/QUOTE]
Because with FREE version you can not build app for Android and iOS http://www.scirra.com/store/construct-2dimakoles2013-05-29 08:56:21
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 am

I guess [QUOTE=RandomExile]published works[/QUOTE] means APKs/IPAs.

Typical APK content is: classes.dex, assets, res, META-INF, AndroidManifest.xml, resources.arsc

Construct 2 license is just .txt file in the Construct 2 installation root directory.

So, how can this APK content "remember" something about Construct 2 involvement at all? And if it does not "remember", than how can I apply[QUOTE=RandomExile]one common method used by other companies ... to "imprint" published works with the license used to produce it[/QUOTE]?dimakoles2013-05-29 09:24:17
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 9:28 am

[QUOTE=dimakoles] [QUOTE=zendorf] Why would anyone even bother to pirate C2 when there is a free version anyway?[/QUOTE]
Because with FREE version you can not build app for Android and iOS http://www.scirra.com/store/construct-2[/QUOTE]

The problem there is you will need a license for those platforms as well, and there's really no way to cheat that.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 9:41 am

[QUOTE=newt]The problem there is you will need a license for those platforms as well, and there's really no way to cheat that. [/QUOTE]
Do you say the same that I said just in other way?dimakoles2013-05-29 10:02:15
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 9:50 am

I fully agree that pirating C2 software is wrong, and also completely unnecessary (due to C2's extremely affordable price)!

On the flip side, it does show just how popular C2 is becoming, if people want it so badly that they are willing to pirate it!

I think it indicates a very bright future for the company! Watch out all you competitors, Scirra is on it's way up, up, up to the top! And it's a good thing too!!

Blacksmith2013-05-29 13:50:43
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 10:01 am

[QUOTE=dimakoles] Just for sure.

[QUOTE=newt]The problem there is you will need a license for those platforms as well, and there's really no way to cheat that. [/QUOTE]
Honestly I'm out of concept. Do you mean that I can not use hacked version of Construct 2 from thepiratebay.sx for build APK/IPA? Even if it is hacked and is downloaded and is successfully installed?

Or you say the same that I said just in other way? :)[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not sure how cocoon is doing things currently, but Im pretty sure they are planning on some licensing.
Beyond that you absolutely have to purchase a license to publish to Apple.
Then I haven't even checked to see what is involved with publishing to Android market.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 10:04 am

[QUOTE=newt]Well I'm not sure how cocoon is doing things currently, but Im pretty sure they are planning on some licensing.
Beyond that you absolutely have to purchase a license to publish to Apple.
Then I haven't even checked to see what is involved with publishing to Android market.[/QUOTE] Yes but it does not mean you can not use hacked Construct 2 for making Android and iOS games.dimakoles2013-05-29 10:04:53
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 10:06 am

[QUOTE=Blacksmith]On the flip side it does show just how popular C2 is becoming, if people want it so badly that they are willing to pirate it![/QUOTE] I wonder because I don't know what to do with privacy in relation to my game engine + level editor + tens of plugins + builder for Android and iOS. I believe it can be profitable, but when I see Construct 2 torrents in the internet I lose my faith.

Can anyone help me with question professionally?dimakoles2013-05-29 10:18:40
B
S
G

Post » Wed May 29, 2013 10:19 am

I don't really see the relation between C2 torrents and your possible game release.

It has already been mentioned several times along this topic, "pirates" are people who nevertheless never would have considered buying the product in the first place.
It's also has shown that most people there are willing to buy it mostly to support "honest creators" who visibly bust their asses. And the price of the licenses has been calculated so that, despite any "loss" that might occur from pirates, making C2 is still being profitable and fair to the users.

When you see the creators of hotline miami having their game pirated, and releasing a patch for the cracked version, it really goes on to show that the best way of dealing with piracy is not really bothering about it. What matters is that they want their game to be played, and it goes up making them good advertisement and probably even selling more games in the end.

Also I'm not sure android and iOS are the most pirated markets.
For iOS for example, it requires some jailbroken OS which is not as easily accessible as downloading a torrent and execute a file on computer.Kyatric2013-05-29 10:21:01
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General