[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:07 am

Looks good to me. Rough, but I like where you are going. :)

Gameplay is always more important than visuals, though visuals are possibly more important for a smaller developer that is trying to catch people's attention. I like the 'Limbo Aesthetic', and I've seen a number of other games take it and run with it and do something interesting and different. For example, Badlands:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... land&hl=en

Anyway, good luck with this. Most of all: have fun. If you don't have fun making your game, how will anyone have fun playing it? ;)
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:50 pm

@TiAm, thanks mate. And you make a very good point about making sure the game is fun - both to play and to make. Badlands looks excellent - any idea what engine was used?
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Cocos-2DX. Yes, Badlands runs amazingly well even on my android, which isn't that powerful. Here's a little article (not very in depth):

http://www.cocos2d-x.org/news/254
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 pm

The product of a week's work... When I started this I was convinced that it would be impossible to do rope climbs / descents. Well, yet again, c2 has proven to be my friend rather than my enemy. This was achieved via lots of trial and error - and it's still not complete (I want the player to be able to climb up off the top of the rope...) but I'm quite pleased with the mechanics so far.

A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:19 pm

Hey that looks great, well done. :)
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:33 am

Thanks @Ethan. My pace is slow but I think I'm making progress....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:11 am

I've been busy this week - unfortunately, it's been my real job that's demanded my time. However, I've still managed to add swimming to the player's repertoire.

A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:27 am

@Colludium

This is looking great :) You never know, with luck you might be able to pack your " real job " in :)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:12 pm

Thank you @spongehammer!

spongehammer wrote:...with luck you might be able to pack your " real job " in :)

That would be utopia, although I quite like my proper job - which equals a dilemma of the highest order. Maybe I could turn my proper job into a hobby and keep my hobby as a hobby as well!

So, update so far. It's going to take me a couple of weeks of work and then I hope to have a demo level 1 ready. Everyone will be welcome to give it a play and pick holes or suggest tweaks and ideas. My kids are great for ideas but some of them are too 'imaginative'... Also, the more I do the more I realize that I've still got left to do, which must then be added to the continually lengthening list of game-play idea additions...

There's no way I could have done any of the animation without Spriter; it's proved to be invaluable because of the smooth animation transitions that would be impossible to achieve between traditional animations (so far I have just under 30 animations and I expect to easily double that number of the coming months). Integrating the plugin was sheer brilliance for C2.

Next planned events: underwater swimming, a couple of extra ways to die and then demo level 1 tidying.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:32 pm

Is it wrong to enjoy making a character die so many different ways?

A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests