[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:57 am

Thank you @Anonnymitet, you make some very good observations.

1. I am planning on an intro and scene setting level which will also introduce the controls.

2. I know what you mean about the gravity. The other side of the coin is I don't want the player's movement to appear too arcade like - quick jumps and falls - I want it to be watchable, if that makes sense. I will have a play around, though, and see if I can tweak it to be better.

3. You're one step ahead of me and the point is completely valid - the demo of level 2 (a few weeks away I think) will show a new fall animation. Hard to get perfect and I suspect it will get adjusted a few times still... But it looks more realistic than the upright jump the current demo shows.

4. I agree! The piranhas were supposed to be a bit of fun, but the transition to a full skeleton is too quick and doesn't do justice to the atmosphere I'm trying to create. Pity - it took me quite a while to set up....

I really appreciate the feedback and hope you'll check keep an eye on things here as I slowly progress (around my day job) :).
Learning other engines, but C2 still rocks. Image Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Yet another way to die! If I never finish the game at least I will have created a rather comprehensive archive of possible deaths...

B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:36 pm

Very creepy , I love. It remains to see how it makes in the game ;)
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 02, 2015 10:40 pm

Level 2 is progressing and is turning out to be quite large. I'm being careful to optimize my events and to enable/disable groups and/for objects that are nowhere near the viewport.
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 11, 2015 11:00 pm

I hope you progressing well in your new level. This game has potential.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 12:12 am

Thanks @MadSpy! Level 2 is going slowly but well - I've been distracted (once again) by my real job and had to work away from home with no computer access (desperate!!). If only I didn't have to feed myself and my family!!

I have spent a good few hours last weekend ironing out a bunch of small but niggly behavior bugs - the closer I look the more I tweaks I find the game needs... But it's progress in the right direction! I hope to have a level 2 alpha for you to try in the next couple of weeks :).
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 12:27 am

Just to add - I've also been spending a little bit of time trying to get to grips with Unity. I have a problem - the lack of a c2/c3 development plan coupled with a reliable exe export option makes me a bit nervous about investing all of my time into this game using c2. Part of my problem is that Unity is much harder to learn and use. Over the weekend I found that Umbra no longer plays audio in NW 10.5 - I have no idea why, but none of the sound files play there any more (and they used to!!). Things like that are not good for the confidence - so I'm now stuck with / committed to using the latest NW; let's hope Google can fix their own jank problem and then don't screw it up (again).
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 am

For the moment, i haven't any export bugs with NW12 and R200 release(steam edition).
I preferred to use the EU4 instead of Unity for another project. ( but I think at times to switch the current project on EU4 )

Colludium wrote: I hope to have a level 2 alpha for you to try in the next couple of weeks :).

I'll take time to do that ;)
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 3:03 am

I hope that this makes it through all of the spam :).

Here's a link to the alpha demo of Level 2.

The layout contains more objects than level 1 and there's more going on - I would appreciate any feedback on performance, especially if there's any jank, periodic stuttering or just plain old slow framerate problems.

Thanks!!

B
S
G

Post » Fri May 15, 2015 8:56 am

Hi,
The new animations of landing ( and those of death) are really nice. Amazing level (even if gravity is still a bit weak on jumping or falling) .
You're on the right way !!!
But I found something , PM sent ;)
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests