[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat May 23, 2015 11:50 pm

@MadSpy & @spongehammer, thank you gentlemen for your patience! I've redone the game-save/load logic and all of the previous problems in that area should now be fixed! I've also added access to more of level 2...

Just of note, while bug/alpha testing I've elected to keep the start screen logic default, so even after a reset it will show you a Resume option. This is because the game save data indicates a point that is beyond the start of level 1.

I hope you like it :). Let me know where I can make improvements (beyond some background sounds and level detail, which I will work on later for sure). Cheers.

v1.0.0.59
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 23, 2015 11:57 pm

@Colludium test passed !
Now we can see other points. ;)
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 9:47 am

@Colludium

A lot better. Only tried chrome so far but it all worked as expected which is great :) I see this becoming a really good game given the levels are varied enough. Well done :D

Just one thing of note for me is the characters eyes. They seem slightly disturbing somehow. I am no artist thats for sure and with the silhouette style i dont know what you could do. Maybe a little bigger? :shock: :D
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 12:47 pm

@spongehammer - thank you :). I agree about the style of the eyes - I need to experiment a bit on the art (I used to think I was good at art, but this has proven my abilities don't match my expectations...). I need a style that says "different from Limbo but this character still feels a bit lost and vulnerable". Not an easy undertaking...

Level 2 should be finished this week. Any ideas for level 3? I'm thinking over-ground, and maybe in some sort of out of town industrial location....

Edit - eyes now altered in size and color, ever so slightly. Now less harsh, I think...
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 2:15 pm

Industrial location sounds good. Makes me think of some of the derelict factories me and my brother played in as kids. I shudder at the thought now :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 24, 2015 2:37 pm

spongehammer wrote:Industrial location sounds good. Makes me think of some of the derelict factories me and my brother played in as kids. I shudder at the thought now :)

Ha - yes! For me it's pure luck that I made it to adulthood (some would argue that I'm still not there yet).
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 29, 2015 11:16 am

OK y'all, update for the week... I've encountered a bug in c2!! Particles pinned to moving physics objects just vanish after a few seconds of the object moving; I've submitted a bug report and dearly hope that my project isn't corrupted somehow (!!!!).

First off - I was in denial but I realize that the font I was using was hard to read (aptly morbid, but hard to read...) so I've made a change that I hope you like:

I'm feeling positive about the particle bug (that feeling I have before something bad usually catches me unawares) so here's a teaser of something new that I had fun making:

B
S
G

Post » Fri May 29, 2015 12:02 pm

played your alpha game there is a small glitch that lasts for like half a second, if you facing left or right and jump and while in air you keep pressed the opposite direction of character direction when landed the character will move forward 1 or 2 steps then stops and goes to the direction of arrows pressed it will be good if you could fix it , for near edge future game plays.

how to recreate:
jump
in air if character facing left press and keep right arrow down
in air if character facing right press and keep left arrow down

when character lands will move the direction its facing at landing 2 steps in front then stops and goes towards arrow key direction

also there is a slight problem with the game , when you try to jump under the bridge to next gap, it pushes u in front forcing you almost to fall in pit, its kinda annoying cause i want to explore :D

overall of game looks awesome, keep at it and will become some big thing :D

btw if will be a browser based game, you might want to lower ticks, the cpu utilization here is around 68 75% and i admit i don't have a to new computer, a i7 quad core 3.5 GHz only :(
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 29, 2015 1:28 pm

@gamecorpstudio - thank you for an awesome bug find and thanks for the feedback :). This is going to be interesting bug to dig into and fix. I'm aiming for a NW distribution, and performance is my main concern because hardware varies so much between users (it doesn't sound like your machine's too low-spec!).

Rolls sleeves up...
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 29, 2015 2:14 pm

glad to help mate :D your game looks awesome :D i love the dark details of it, has that feel of sadness and craziness in it , its enjoyable, even though i don't really have much things what to do in the game at the moment, but maybe youl upload alpha 2? and let us test the swimming and water area?:D i dident passed from the second gap in right, for some reason i think i had to pull a lever to lower the bridge but i dident find it XAXA ! anyway gluck man, if you update il test forward! :D edit :1 found the lever, however got stuck at last step where the hanging knife waves, and my head went down, it made me so angry cause the last checkpoint is way up at that lever :)) funny game ! il play more later for sure :D
its not an low spec machine but not a top notch, the cpu usage was between 40-70% replayed it a few times, sometimes was spiking on Firefox pretty high but i guess by other 50 tabs was the fault! however, after i closed all and only played the demo, the cpu usage went and kept staying at 40% its pretty decent for a computer game, but if you can lower it at 25 30% cpu usage from what i have i think all sorts of pcs can play it!

my spec machine, quad core i7 3.5ghz 1 gb vRAM 4 gb RAM and some poor SSD 512GB :(

i hope i can update it soon i want a better machine, i want to be able to build a monster with my computer a damn 3d game but i lack power for renders and other stuff :D
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests