[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Colludium wrote:Robots... Here's one - I'm sure there'll be more!

Seeing the robot , the heroine said: "maybe my sister is better where she is" and she goes back to home. End lol
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Lol @MadSpy. :)
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Some recent changes and snags I've been doing battle with:

• New rope climb mechanics. I have to confess that I still don't think it's perfect, so it's going to get some more attention over the coming days and weeks.
  • New player mode detection. Part of the player's FSM control is through an invisible ground detector sprite. Previously that was used in conjunction with a Spriter animation check to determine any change of FSM state. It was glitchy, though, as if the Spriter values weren't returning the correct value (animation name / time in current animation loop). I think that the problem may have been down to animation blends - it's hard to be sure. Anyway, it's all fixed now by means of a simple timer variable (kind of like: if Player.Time_Next_Phase < time then change xxx....). It seems so much more reliable (mental note for the future there).
  • Change of player collision poly. Part of the above FSM problem was caused by the shape of the player's collision poly. It's not static - it sometimes changes depending on what mode of play you're in - but the problem I encountered was actually caused by not having vertical sides to the poly shape. The slight slopes caused the player to hang up or delay falling in some situations, which looked glitchy. Fixed now (for now....!!!!).
  • Level 1 instructions. The hard-core get on with it and figure out what you're doing has been replaced by a softer approach. Level 1 now has some on-screen instructions to help you through the first couple of puzzles. I'm clearly soft at heart.
  • Level 1 start updated as well. Now there's something slightly better than a wall to stop you from walking left off screen...
  • Level 3 has now been completed. Well, the fundamental puzzles have; I'm still adding sound effects and a little eye candy. It includes a couple of water based puzzles, sharp and hazardous machinery, and (of course) a robot or two. The robots are going to put in an appearance later in the game, I'm sure. Maybe they will invite some friends along... Oh, I mustn't forget - there's a hidden room - which is easy to get to but hard to unlock.... Very hard. Hopefully not too hard.

So, the big question now is what theme should level 4 be on? I'm thinking of a suburban scene or a derelict hospital....??
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:20 am

Is it too late to start making some significant changes to the game play?!? For a while now I've felt that the player needed an extra something to keep them focused on the game... something to make it more than just the most dangerous day-trip ever - something to give you more to do than just your primary mission of saving your sister. Well, I hope it's not too late, because I've started making the changes :).

Now you're not just embarking on a dangerous quest to save your sister - you have to save her from kidnapping killer robots (of course) and, while you're about it - you must try to liberate some imprisoned children.

Check out the latest demo to see what some of these changes look like....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:43 am

It's not to late to change the story a bit. The gameplay is still the same and this is just a little spice to the mix and works fine in my opinion :D

I like what you've done to the start of the game. Maybe putting the text at the top instead with 50% opacity to make it a little more suttle? So it's not in front of the player. Or maybe at least behind the player. I don't know what would be better.

I tried both keyboard and gamepad. I couldn't use the stick on the gamepad. Can you only play with the d-pad?

Anyway, this is my opinion about your game ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:21 am

Anonnymitet wrote:....this is my opinion about your game ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GLa9T2CtI

Thank you, lol! Actually out loud.

It would be easy for me to add joystick input as well - I didn't expect it would be preferable as I'm used to keyboard hitting :). I'll add that soon.

I think moving the text is a good idea, at least so it's not in front of the player - I tried it again and see that if you're on one of the ropes it could happen.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback :).
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 pm

@Colludium

Omg, played the demo and.... game shuld be called " a 1000 ways to die! " :)
other than that... looks great!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Thank you @irina! I was thinking of trying for 10^6 ways to die, but that might be a bit too ambitious for me... :)
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:08 pm

There are about 16 ways to die .... but in so many places
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:48 pm

@MadSpy - lol, yes!

Update:

I realized / felt that the game needed a little something to make it more than just a long death-avoiding adventure... Hence the addition of prisoners you can release - if you can solve the puzzles to get to them or find the hidden door to their prison chamber. To make it slightly more interesting to the player I've started to add little conversation snippets you can have with the incarcerated - it's just for spectating and there's no plan to make it more interactive - so the last few days have been taken up with adding a method of importing lots of conversation data into the game. I started doing it long-hand and quickly realized that the best way to go is svg import (another excellent rex plugin) so I can now add conversation info to quickly make those prison scenes just a little more interesting. I hope!

Other things on the rather long to-do list: an opening animation to introduce the game (ideas and suggestions are welcome!), steam plugin with awards for releasing prisoner children (or just facebook posts if not on steam), and possibly a level chooser. I was initially against the idea of including a level chooser to the game - I wanted the player to go for it and experience each level until they completed them. However, now that I'm introducing the prospect of awards and kudos for finding hidden parts of the game, I am considering letting the player retry (or restart) a previously completed level, without deleting their final progress, so they can have another go at finding a hidden prison cell and get the award for it. Anyone with any thoughts on this - I would really appreciate other perspectives. If I do implement a level chooser and go-back option then I'm going to have to completely re-do my game save logic (won't take forever, but it works as it is and is tamper-safe, so I only want to change it if it's a really good idea).

I expect to have a new version of the demo (link below) out in the next few days...

Cheers.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests