[closed] Umbra... Now available on Steam

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:04 pm

It's quite normal, after a few days the natural greenlight traffic is very low.

It's now up to you to drive it home, anywhere in the top 300 list can have a chance of being lit, from what I've tracked for the past few months.

Use this site as a guideline: http://greendb.iygamestudio.com/greenlight/
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks @silverforce - that's good advice!
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:33 am

So, I posted the game on NG for a couple of days over the weekend, to get feeedback from a different user-base and also to generate some awareness of the Greenlight page... I took it down earlier today because most people were struggling to figure out the puzzles and/or having problems with the controls (NG iframe...?). Anyway, when (lazily) searching for my own youtube video I found this: Youtube Playthrough1 of Umbra!

This was unexpected! :)
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:08 am

was checking out GreenDB.. I was surprised to see how all the games on there have so many thumbs down.... It's strange to think people are voting games down... like why do Steam users care what games get greenlit? I understand there's a certain standard that Steam needs to maintain.. but why are users voting stuff down? To me a typical user experience should be: a greenlight project comes across your feed.. you watch the trailer.. if it looks good check out some of the comments, then thumbs up.. if it looks bad, move on.. but I guess that thumbs down button is just too tempting! it's kinda funny... just surprised to see the top game on there with 6k up votes and almost 5k down votes!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:27 am

@jobel
I often wondered the same. Voting it down wont change the mind of someone who does like the look of it, especially where they are both basing their judgement on the same video or demo.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:04 am

@jobel, @spongehammer - yes, and since the down vote makes no difference to top 100 position for the game, it can only be to pretend to empower people who vote. There was one comment that I deleted for swearing and the troll came back and commented again that he hadn't voted before but now he was certainly voting no. I think most don't realise that it makes no difference.... Unless greenlight have suckered the devs and actually it does matter... Lol.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:56 am

Yes. The no votes don't count. Sorry to all of the trolls out there. LOL.
B
S

Post » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:16 am

@Big Infinity - thanks for clarifying! I'm glad I'm not losing my mind (all of it, at least)....
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:38 pm

Greenlight is simply a question for each user. Would you buy this game? If no then you should click no. No matter the potential of the game. Steam wants to know if YOU want it. So if you don't vote the game will keep popping up in your feed. So you either have to vote yes or no to make it go away.

That is why downvotes doesn't matter on greenlight. Because it doesn't mean something bad. It just means that this person wouldn't buy the game. So if a game have 100 000 no votes and 10 000 yes votes the game will be greenlit because steam expects that 10 000 would buy the game. (I know that the ones who end up buying it would be far far less :P)

Anyway. That is how greenlight is meant to work but people are obviously not using it seriously all the time :)

@Colludium I can gurantee that the game will be greenlit. The only question is when. So when your game only gets about 10 visitors a day you'll have to promote it to drive the traffic back so you'll get the last votes needed :D Good luck!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 pm

@Anonnymitet makes sense.. so maybe it's probably more akin to Amazon suggested purchases?.. Steam probably wants to know what type of games you like??
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests