Cluckles' Adventure - platform game

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:39 pm

In general I'm really interested to hear your impressions and feedback about the game. Specifically Id like to know:

-What device and OS you are using.
-How is performance on your device?
-What do you think of gameplay in general? Is the game engaging, boring, too hard, too easy? What's your impressions.

The feedback I get will influence updates I make to the game in future.

thnx
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:15 pm

@Artpunk Played it on a Samsung S5. Performance is pretty neat although I find the response from the left/right buttons to be a bit too strong (sometimes I hit once and he just flies off to his death) I have reached at least lv8... I think. Some of the "navigating" is not as intuitive as it should be...(try adding some (arrows pointing where to go they do that in Mario and other platformers to "nudge" the player in the right direction) it feels more like an exploration game sometimes. Its cool... it is very challenging. Nicely executed game. I still need to fix mine since google changed their stuff I have to re-build mine to have the adds work again.
Freefall Bird
B
S
G

Post » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:52 am

Ragevortex wrote:@Artpunk Played it on a Samsung S5. Performance is pretty neat although I find the response from the left/right buttons to be a bit too strong (sometimes I hit once and he just flies off to his death) I have reached at least lv8... I think. Some of the "navigating" is not as intuitive as it should be...(try adding some (arrows pointing where to go they do that in Mario and other platformers to "nudge" the player in the right direction) it feels more like an exploration game sometimes. Its cool... it is very challenging. Nicely executed game. I still need to fix mine since google changed their stuff I have to re-build mine to have the adds work again.

Hey @Ragevortex thanks for the feedback.
I dont notice that problem with the buttons being too touchy, but ive played it so much it could be I just dont notice the problem. Tbh I dont think want to adjust the responsiveness of the left / right controls at this point because Ive built the game around that level of responsiveness. Probably a bit late in the day to be changing that..

Your ideas for adding arrows to point the direction is a good one. You're not the first person to comment that it can be hard to navigate the levels.. so im seriously considering doing that. It would be a bit of work to add them in for every level, but I think it would make the game better. I guess I would add arrows that point the route to the exit, then its up to the player to explore the other parts of the map where chicks / levers / secrets / collectables etc could be hidden..

Can I ask, do you think the game is too difficult as to be frustrating? I think I made it too hard... :roll:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:05 am

@Mirlas, I will respond to your comment from this thread here

The Mnk wrote:I think this is a bug, if I'm not mistaken.
Sometimes falling on a platform the sprite falls down.
For this to happen do the following.

Make two jumps, when you are falling to the ground, leave the jump button pressed for 2 or 4 seconds, then release it and the sprite will probably fall down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92swRHJW0gU

Yes there are some problems with the JumpThru platforms. Im not sure how to fix these issues, I have spent many hours testing and trying to fix that.
The player is able to swipe down on the screen to make the chicken drop through a JumpThru platform. But there seems to be these bugs like you have identified. It also happens occasionally if the player drops from a large height onto a JumpThru platform, the chicken will land on the platform, then drop through a second later.
Last edited by Artpunk on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:29 am

@Artpunk, When remaking the Jump-thru behavior from scratch, one would have to check, for each solid object, if the player at a Y of -1 is overlapping the solid object. If not, enable collisions with that object.

In this case, one could simply use this check to, rather than enable/disable collisions, add if player is falling, and if so, set vector Y to 0.

The fact that this is happening, though, points to a problem with how you've implemented controls, positioning, collision masks, etc. It could be anything, but this kind of functionality doesn't happen naturally with platform and jump-thru behaviors, it certainly isn't a bug as I've never seen this happen before.

EDIT: make sure that when you use the event I mentioned that you're also adding a condition of player is overlapping the platform at y offset of +1, or the player won't be able to fall. :lol:
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:53 am

KTML5 wrote:@Artpunk, When remaking the Jump-thru behavior from scratch, one would have to check, for each solid object, if the player at a Y of -1 is overlapping the solid object. If not, enable collisions with that object.

In this case, one could simply use this check to, rather than enable/disable collisions, add if player is falling, and if so, set vector Y to 0.

The fact that this is happening, though, points to a problem with how you've implemented controls, positioning, collision masks, etc. It could be anything, but this kind of functionality doesn't happen naturally with platform and jump-thru behaviors, it certainly isn't a bug as I've never seen this happen before.

EDIT: make sure that when you use the event I mentioned that you're also adding a condition of player is overlapping the platform at y offset of +1, or the player won't be able to fall. :lol:

Hi @KTML5 thanks for the help. Well, I haven't made the JumpThru behaviour from scratch, im using the C2 Jump Thru behaviour added to the platforms. I have a tilemap object with the JumpThru behaviour added and another tilemap object with the solid behaviour added.

So a typical level looks like this, where the blue tiles have the solid behaviour, and the pink tiles have the JumpThru behaviour.

B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:35 am

Ragevortex wrote:...Some of the "navigating" is not as intuitive as it should be...(try adding some (arrows pointing where to go they do that in Mario and other platformers to "nudge" the player in the right direction) it feels more like an exploration game sometimes...

@Ragevortext I implemented your idea of putting arrows throughout the levels to direct the player towards the level exit. Hopefully this will stop the player from feeling lost at any point.

I placed arrows only to point the way to the exit. It's up to the player to explore other parts of the levels to find the chicks and secret areas.

There is definitely meant be an element of exploration in the game. Exploration is rewarded because if the player finds a secret area it will be hiding a chick, a shield / armor or a switch that the player may need to achieve a perfect star for the level.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:12 am

Hey @Mirlas I think I managed to fix the bug you identified where the player falls through platforms unexpectedly. It was caused by mistakes I made in the events controlling the downward 'swipe' that allows the player to drop through JumpThru platforms. It should be fixed in the next update Im about to release.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:09 pm

I'm playing on Motorola Moto E 2 (Android 6.0). Performance is very good.

I think many players don't like reading tutorials. It can lead to missing some tips like it was in my case – I wasn't aware of the 'swipe down' control till the 6th level when I got back to the 1st one to check if I hadn't missed something because I couldn't find the second chick. If you added at least some hand swiping down at this second tip it probably would be perfectly clear.

It took me a while to complete 6th level. Then I got stuck on the 12th level. I couldn't go through these crazy plants firing from the right side on the third floor. Now I'm on the 14th.

I like your game and the idea of a brave cock wit sword. I'm going to keep playing :)

I wonder if it wasn't a good idea to implement some checkpoints (which the game restarts from after death) in harder or longer level so that player wouldn't have to repeat the same things many times till he come to the point that is a challenge for him.

There's some issue with ads displaying. I can see some of them but quite many times something goes wrong and freezes game and I need to press pause button and restart the game to keep playing. I'm about to implement for the first time ads in my game and put it in google store. Could you tell me which ads service and wrapper do you use? Did you follow some instructions which you could give link to?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:59 pm

not compatible with Alcatel one
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations