CocoonIO - Help, Ressources & free capx examples

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:05 am

andreyin wrote:Hi once again,

Apparently the problem is with my phone. Tried it with your template and got this error:

http://i.imgur.com/CDKU8Gv.png

My phone did work with Canvas+ before (since I have tested my game on it several times before) so I'm not sure what's going on..

edit: Oops. Searched around a bit more and apparently CocoonJS isn't compatible with CyanogenMod, which is what I'm using in my phone.

edit2: Ok, now this is driving me insane. I tried it on another phone and got the same exact error. Only this phone isn't rooted or has a custom rom installed. It's a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime (SM-G531H) running Android 5.1.1.

Tried both my own game doing the fixes described and one of @AndreasR 's templates (CocoonOpenURL).

Now I'm at a loss - and I'm sure my game worked just fine on my phone at least a couple months ago in this same rom.

Edit3: Finally I got it working on both phones. I deleted the entire project from Cocoon.IO, then exported my game with the Cordova option and added the "|| this.isCocoonJS" in c2runtime.js. This resetted all the options so I had to turn on Canvas+ again. Tested it and it's working.


Hi,

you are right this message appears if either your phone doesn't support Canvas+ or if you have selected "WebView" at WebView Engine in your CocoonIO settings.
Just to be sure, can you send a screenshot of your project settings at cocoon.io?

Another question, did you use "Cordova" or "CocoonJS" as exporter? The first one is accurate.

Edit: Sorry I haven't seen that it's finally working. This could happen if you forget to delete the config.xml file before you zip your C2 export output.


Regards
Andy
Image Image iTunes: Match3 | Google Play: Match3
B
109
S
40
G
31
Posts: 1,177
Reputation: 29,418

Post » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 am

Hi All

Just adding my two cents, I know this thread is kinda old, but I have to say Cooonio in my opinion is way better than xdk. (I’m not bashing XDK. Its just my experience)
I’m about to release my next game on google play (just need to get leader boards working properly) and it’s been a great experience overall.

Highlights to me are:

Performance
Performance is great. I test on a galaxy tab 3 and a Samsung s4. These devices are fairly old now so I feel if cocoon apps run good on these devices they will run fairly well across the board.
On XDK my phone heats up a lot, this does not happen to me on cocoonio canvas+
I find on XDK that when ads load in my game it affects gameplay speed.
In cocoon the experience stays smooth


File size
My entire game is 11MB which is not bad at all and that includes having cocoon google game services and admob ads.
My XDK games are 25MB+ (I create small games in general for android)

Ease of use

Once you get to know the site, setting everything up is actually easy to do and works well.
I’m struggling with leaderboards a little, but that’s just because its new to me. Once you know how these thing work setting it up will be a breeze I’m sure.

I’m definitely sticking with cocoon for now and do recommend it for your mobile projects.

Only thing I found out the hard way is that letterbox scale does not work in cocoon (or XDK) oops. Keep that in mind and design your game accordingly

Cheers
B
48
S
13
Posts: 118
Reputation: 3,338

Post » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:35 pm

dcadjust wrote:Once you get to know the site, setting everything up is actually easy to do and works well.
I’m struggling with leaderboards a little, but that’s just because its new to me. Once you know how these thing work setting it up will be a breeze I’m sure.

I’m definitely sticking with cocoon for now and do recommend it for your mobile projects.



I agree (so far) I've used both XDK and and CocoonIO (to a limited degree - still new at them) and I actually like CocoonIO better. Although it took a little getting used to....
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

Post » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 pm

@dcadjust are you building for Android or iOS or both?

I'm trying to build for Android right now and for some reason the armv7 debug.apk works on my device, but the armv7 unsigned apk says it's corrupt when I try to Install it on my mobile device. any ideas?

installing to Android 7.1.1 ASUS Zenfone 3
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

Post » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:14 am

jobel wrote:@dcadjust are you building for Android or iOS or both?

I'm trying to build for Android right now and for some reason the armv7 debug.apk works on my device, but the armv7 unsigned apk says it's corrupt when I try to Install it on my mobile device. any ideas?

installing to Android 7.1.1 ASUS Zenfone 3


Hi Jobel.

Correct, debug will work, unsigned does not work out of the box

I'm building for android only.

I used the debug arm apk to test my game then once I started testing leader boards I took the unsinged apk and signed it with the tool mentioned on the cocooon site. The apk then works fine once it is signed and aligned.
The tool is easy to use (as long as you follow the how to doc) and you only have to set up your key-store once and you can use the same key store file for all your android games going forward.
B
48
S
13
Posts: 118
Reputation: 3,338

Post » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:47 pm

dcadjust wrote: the tool mentioned on the cocooon site. The apk then works fine once it is signed and aligned.
The tool is easy to use (as long as you follow the how to doc) and you only have to set up your key-store once and you can use the same key store file for all your android games going forward.


is that ShatterBox? and is it at all related to AdMob or Appodeal? I haven't looked into the ad stuff yet, still in testing mode.

awesome thanks for the clarification! I thought it was strange there wasn't a 'signed' apk version. I assumed the unsigned one would work before you got the key. no matter..
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

Post » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:07 pm

jobel wrote:
dcadjust wrote: the tool mentioned on the cocooon site. The apk then works fine once it is signed and aligned.
The tool is easy to use (as long as you follow the how to doc) and you only have to set up your key-store once and you can use the same key store file for all your android games going forward.


is that ShatterBox? and is it at all related to AdMob or Appodeal? I haven't looked into the ad stuff yet, still in testing mode.

awesome thanks for the clarification! I thought it was strange there wasn't a 'signed' apk version. I assumed the unsigned one would work before you got the key. no matter..


Not directly related to the ads. Its just to sign the apk so places like google play will accept it, once its signed it should work on your device
You can download the apk signer here:

https://shatter-box.com/knowledgebase/a ... pk-signer/
B
48
S
13
Posts: 118
Reputation: 3,338

Post » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 pm

dcadjust wrote:Not directly related to the ads. Its just to sign the apk so places like google play will accept it, once its signed it should work on your device
You can download the apk signer here:

https://shatter-box.com/knowledgebase/a ... pk-signer/

awesome thanks!
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

Post » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 am

@jobel
You also can add your certificate to cocoonio. Then the cloud compiler signs and aligns your file automatically.
See this link, please.

https://shatter-box.com/knowledgebase/c ... rtificates

It makes it a way better ;)

Good luck to your games!

Regards
Andy
Image Image iTunes: Match3 | Google Play: Match3
B
109
S
40
G
31
Posts: 1,177
Reputation: 29,418

Post » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:01 am

AndreasR wrote:@jobel
You also can add your certificate to cocoonio. Then the cloud compiler signs and aligns your file automatically.
See this link, please.

https://shatter-box.com/knowledgebase/c ... rtificates

It makes it a way better ;)

Good luck to your games!

Regards
Andy


thanks! what about building for iOS.. does shatterbox help with that? I don't know much about deploying to iOS except that you need provision files? and a paid developer account?
B
100
S
33
G
16
Posts: 1,204
Reputation: 16,865

PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Resources

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest