CocoonJS Deploy your games as native mobile apps

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:58 pm

Please be good
please be good
please be good

It sounds almost too good to be true but man would this rock if it delivers and is easy to use
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Crashed on even a simple demo with a single sprite, sent them a mail so hopefully we can work out. I gotta say, their demos with a lot of sprites on-screen were running really smoothly and well on my HTC sensation. Hopefully they can smooth out the bumps for C2 games.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:42 pm

@ashley, I know you probably did, but you may not have if you were in a hurry, but did you see this part:
[quote=http://www.ludei.com/tech/cocoonjslauncher]    Remove the HTML entry point file.
    Create a Canvas object manually from JavaScript. If needed, substitute document.getElementById function calls by document.createElement("canvas"); or new Canvas();
    Put all your JavaScript in one file. Your whole JavaScript code should be in just one .js file.
    Create a zip file with your JavaScript file and game assets. The current version of CocoonJS only loads local assets.

The following list shows all the HTML5 functionalities that the current version of CocoonJS supports. If you are using any other than these, you won't get the expected results but it doesn't mean your application won't work.

Canvas API:

drawImage
    globalAlpha
    save
    restore
    translate
    rotate
    scale
    transform
    setTransform
    fillRect
    clearRect
    strokeRect
    measureText
    fillText
    getImageData
    putImageData
    lineWidth
    beginPath
    moveTo
    lineTo
    closePath
    stroke
    antialiasing
    using dynamic canvas as a drawing texture

Other APIs:

OpenlAL based multichannel Audio
    Asynchronous Websockets
    Unlimited LocalStorage
    webkitRequestAnimationFrame, setInterval, setTimeout, alert

Supported Extensions:

Monetization
    In App Purchases
    Social networks integration
    Analytics
    Locking device orientation
    Suspend and Activate callbacks
    Automatic antialising and full screen scale
    TextDialog

Next release:

All path segments: bezier curves, elliptical arcs.
    Fill and gradients
    Clipping
    Blending modes
    Camera Extension

You can check the source code of all the demos available in the CocoonJS Launcher. The demos show how to integrate a JavaScript HTML5 Canvas project inside CocoonJS and also how to use the CocoonJS extensions for many additional features like managing ads, social network integration with Facebook, text input and more.[/quote]
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:47 pm

@lucid, yep did all that.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:39 pm

It is the first release. I've witnessed the technical abilities of these guys and they are indeed very good. Very commited to this technology too.

I would expect to have the platform working very well soon.

Thanks Ashley for taking the time to check it out
B
G

Post » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Been lurking on it for some time. Now that they released it i can't wait to see what it's capable of. Maybe finally we'll get a definitive solution for HTML5 games on iOS and Android. Biolab Disaster appeared to run smooth. I'm curious: Is it a wrapper or does it translates code to native opengl ?Kiyoshi2012-03-17 00:03:52
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 am

It does translate code to native Objective C on iOS and I'm not sure if it generates Dalvick or C++ on the android.

I was attending a local presentation they made here a few months ago and was very impressed.   Was also waiting for CocoonJS to be released since then.

They made it so they can port easily their own games, which are some of the most downloaded games on both iOS and android. If those very demanding and complex games can run well, I guess it is only a matter of polishing a bit their platform so it can run C2 games fluidly.
B
G

Post » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:25 pm

Wow, this looks really promising and the performance based on their demos was great !!
I'm confident that Tom & Ashley looks into this as we speak !!

Love this Software & Community !!

Cheers !!
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:10 pm

Could anyone write a basic how to on how to set this up, please? I'd like to test a small app of mine on my Android, but their instructions are not clear for me:

How to execute your game inside the CocoonJS Launcher

Remove the HTML entry point file.
    Create a Canvas object manually from JavaScript. If needed, substitute document.getElementById function calls by document.createElement("canvas"); or new Canvas();
    Put all your JavaScript in one file. Your whole JavaScript code should be in just one .js file.
    Create a zip file with your JavaScript file and game assets. The current version of CocoonJS only loads local assets.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:36 pm

@eyeliner - it doesn't work for me for C2 games at the moment, so I don't think you need to worry about this for now. If it's fixed we should be able to add official support relatively quickly.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General