Cocoonjs & Facebook social feature

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:02 pm

robotecollective wrote:Well yeah, I am not worried about C2 at all - these guys and their software is amazing. When you mix CocoonJS in, it's another story. But alas, I'm probably being too pessimistic here... just being cautious, that's all.


yes, for know I test my game with cocoonJS and I have 61 fps... for know I don't need to make a social feature, (very important) when I need, I will look how to do this...

some website or company offer a subscription a years for get a special update for plugin or extensions... I think is good if Ashley make somethings like that... just find some people to work in the request of plugin, and release a special plugin for the member... and I think is very important to support cocoonJS in this case.

If we are a lot of people, is right to pay for get a plugin because it is work... I prefer pay a years and have a plugin to get my games in some store and earns from my games, like a perfect plugin with ads, social etc...

this is can work, and who is very interested to earns from the games is interested to have a good plugin...
B
21
S
9
Posts: 298
Reputation: 2,967

Post » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:59 pm

I believe more attention should be set with Crosswalk. Seeing as the developers at Intel have been in great contact with us all, and have been improving upon their build of Crosswalk. I believe that Crosswalk will surpass CocoonJS in the near future.

CocoonJS is very limited, Crosswalk is a full Chrome Browser engine. Sure, it is slower but Crosswalk is a new product.
B
18
S
6
Posts: 348
Reputation: 2,633

Post » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:21 pm

The Intel chaps have been very engaged and that’s really great...

...but Crosswalk ≠ access to iOS. Aside from the massive file size, that fact really makes it an interesting but inadequate export alternative to cocoonjs in my book. Just my opinion.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
74
S
20
G
71
Posts: 2,228
Reputation: 44,888

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:14 am

Colludium wrote:The Intel chaps have been very engaged and that’s really great...

...but Crosswalk ≠ access to iOS. Aside from the massive file size, that fact really makes it an interesting but inadequate export alternative to cocoonjs in my book. Just my opinion.


True, it may not have access to iOS. One reasoning due to the fact that Apple still refuses to allow browser engines to run on the device aside from Safari, which doesn't even have WebGL support yet.

Aside from that, Android has the biggest market share in the mobile market. I believe that Apple will someday support web wrappers like Crosswalk. Time is the essence here.

Even if iOS does not support Crosswalk in the future, you still have Android being the most popular.

As well with CocoonJS, very limited, in terms of support given to those that use Construct 2. They still refuse to fix even the most simplest issues, (example- flickering Ludei logo on start up) in my opinion, CocoonJS is falling behind the gutters as we speak, relationships between Ludei and Scirra seem dull.

With Intel and their Crosswalk, they seem to collaborate rather nicely recently, dispite the exported file size, which is still being improved on. You can not just say Crosswalk is "an alternative" to CocoonJS just yet, seeing CocoonJS has been available for much longer than Crosswalk.

My two cents.
B
18
S
6
Posts: 348
Reputation: 2,633

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:33 am

I have to agree that the facebook support on cocoonjs is rather depressing since its a great way to advertise your app. I have some friends that play apps and they sometimes share there score on facebook in which others come across it and end up downloading the same app. It would be a nice addon for C2 applications compiled through cocoonjs as it seems to have the best performance so far out of the others like phonegap.

There needs to be more communication between scirra and ludei.

@GameThirsty
I have to agree about the ludei flickering screen. This needs to be fixed. Although I heard its less apparent in stronger devices but even so It needs to be looked into for lower-end devices.
B
18
S
4
G
3
Posts: 436
Reputation: 4,801

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:38 am

@GameThirsty, I agree that Crosswalk will probably become the export option of choice for big games on android, as long as you don't mind the file size! And I share your frustration with Ludei's lack of recent support. After a strong start they became distracted with other markets - hopefully the forthcoming plugin update that they mentioned on facebook a couple of weeks ago will open up more options for us (game center, leaderboards, facebook etc).

If you're interested in monetizing then I think iOS access is more important than android. Although I do this as a hobby and only have a couple of apps on both stores, their sale rate on iOS is about 5x that of on android (5x not very much, mind!). A couple are made using cocoonjs and a couple using phonegap (screen image quality no so well rendered, but the build process is as easy as it is with cocoonjs).

My frustrations also lie with the philosophy behind the design of C2. I think it was envisaged to become the most accessible and powerful web game making tool and I think it's well on the way, if not leading the pack, for 2D games. Sadly for me I would like to make app games for mobiles and this has not yet been put as a priority of the team. So, I have to make do - but all is not lost! I'm also keeping an eye on the old app-mobi intel xdk option - as that matures and hand-sets continue to get more powerful it might prove to be the better way onto iOS, and cocoonjs will then become a distant bad relationship memory...
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
74
S
20
G
71
Posts: 2,228
Reputation: 44,888

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:45 am

Colludium wrote:@GameThirsty, I agree that Crosswalk will probably become the export option of choice for big games on android, as long as you don't mind the file size! And I share your frustration with Ludei's lack of recent support. After a strong start they became distracted with other markets - hopefully the forthcoming plugin update that they mentioned on facebook a couple of weeks ago will open up more options for us (game center, leaderboards, facebook etc).

If you're interested in monetizing then I think iOS access is more important than android. Although I do this as a hobby and only have a couple of apps on both stores, their sale rate on iOS is about 5x that of on android (5x not very much, mind!). A couple are made using cocoonjs and a couple using phonegap (screen image quality no so well rendered, but the build process is as easy as it is with cocoonjs).

My frustrations also lie with the philosophy behind the design of C2. I think it was envisaged to become the most accessible and powerful web game making tool and I think it's well on the way, if not leading the pack, for 2D games. Sadly for me I would like to make app games for mobiles and this has not yet been put as a priority of the team. So, I have to make do - but all is not lost! I'm also keeping an eye on the old app-mobi intel xdk option - as that matures and hand-sets continue to get more powerful it might prove to be the better way onto iOS, and cocoonjs will then become a distant bad relationship memory...


I agree. Construct 2 is just scratching the surface for mobile gaming/ apps.

My prediction would be that CocoonJS will continue its declne and either Crosswalk or another export similar to CocoonJS will make its debut. Seeing as CocoonJS sort of has a niche for mobile handset exporting with wrappers, you would think there is more competition.
B
18
S
6
Posts: 348
Reputation: 2,633

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:53 am

GameThirsty wrote:
Colludium wrote:The Intel chaps have been very engaged and that’s really great...

...but Crosswalk ≠ access to iOS. Aside from the massive file size, that fact really makes it an interesting but inadequate export alternative to cocoonjs in my book. Just my opinion.


True, it may not have access to iOS. One reasoning due to the fact that Apple still refuses to allow browser engines to run on the device aside from Safari, which doesn't even have WebGL support yet.

Aside from that, Android has the biggest market share in the mobile market. I believe that Apple will someday support web wrappers like Crosswalk. Time is the essence here.

Even if iOS does not support Crosswalk in the future, you still have Android being the most popular.

As well with CocoonJS, very limited, in terms of support given to those that use Construct 2. They still refuse to fix even the most simplest issues, (example- flickering Ludei logo on start up) in my opinion, CocoonJS is falling behind the gutters as we speak, relationships between Ludei and Scirra seem dull.

With Intel and their Crosswalk, they seem to collaborate rather nicely recently, dispite the exported file size, which is still being improved on. You can not just say Crosswalk is "an alternative" to CocoonJS just yet, seeing CocoonJS has been available for much longer than Crosswalk.

My two cents.


if you become a premium member of CocoonJS you can't remove the logo at the first splash??

yes, I see how slow is the update of CocoonJS, and I don't understand why...

we have another way to publish on iOS?
B
21
S
9
Posts: 298
Reputation: 2,967

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:13 am

You would probably have to enter into some sort of commercial contract with Ludei to remove that awful flickering logo. I don't know if it's possible (for them commercially yet) or, if it is, how much their fee would be.

I guess they only tested their wrapper on a Samsung S2 - my old phone which I use for testing - when a cocoonjs wrapped app starts up on that phone the icon never flickers.... Weird.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
74
S
20
G
71
Posts: 2,228
Reputation: 44,888

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: olympo and 10 guests