CocoonJS Webview+ on iOS8+ (It's FAST!)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:42 pm

matrixreal wrote:yes probably fast (and phonegab is fast too) because of new api of ios8 but the problem is
That 80% of people are using ios7.X and they dont want to update to ios8, so you will not have a lot of coverage
its sure that webview+ and ios8 api are the future of html5 games on ios and android but for the next 1 year

A few week ago I saw it was at 50% adoption already. Its slower than iOS7 but at this rate, in a few months it should be ~75% and that's good enough for me. Heck, I'd even take 50%. The performance (and hence, battery life) of games is just stunning.

@Aphrodite
It compiles a normal HTML5 web export, so I think it may be a safari or CJS bug with audio and not on C2's end.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:07 am

i think there ejecta version on github that use webview+
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Aphrodite wrote:
Could I ask a question, I though that webview+, and canvas+ are actually working with the html5 export itself, is that so?

If so, official support from scirra of webview+ itself is actually not adding anything, and that would also mean that it would still work long term wise, as webviews are real browser engines (which scirra supports).

True, but sometimes i have troubles with construct2+cocoonjs compatibility and nobody cares, because it's not supported. I just want to say that webview+ is not a buggy technology, it's a system wkwebview, even phonegap will use this stuff (one day, i hope), and for now this is the only export option that can handle heavy games for ios, and even if phonegap will switch to wkwebview, cocoonjs webview+ will still be better for all my games because it supports the cocoonjs native physics. It's not fair that good technology is not supported only because Ludei using in, ludei doesn't create it, apple created the wkwebview and cocoonjs can build our projects with wkwebview. It's working now and it will work with html5 export for sure, because its just a webview, i just want the cocoonjs support back in case of compatibility problems. If you want to say that i shouldnt have any compatibility troubles because webview supports html5 export, i say it's not true, phonegap is a clear webview, but it has different export option to improve compatibility.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:37 pm

matrixreal wrote:yes probably fast (and phonegab is fast too) because of new api of ios8 but the problem is
That 80% of people are using ios7.X and they dont want to update to ios8, so you will not have a lot of coverage
its sure that webview+ and ios8 api are the future of html5 games on ios and android but for the next 1 year

Actually, there are a lot more users using iOS8 now:

https://developer.apple.com/support/appstore/
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 am

iOS8 adoption is coming along great.. let's hope the audio issue is resolved soon!

Since it was running so fast, I thought I'd up the ante a bit and add in more parallax layers, effects and proper trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UPWb-Xe6Y

Still running crazy fast on iOS. It can take more! O_o

Very exciting times for C2 mobile devs, we can essentially make a full blown PC quality game without fear of it running like a slideshow.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:18 pm

Silverforce wrote:iOS8 adoption is coming along great.. let's hope the audio issue is resolved soon!

Since it was running so fast, I thought I'd up the ante a bit and add in more parallax layers, effects and proper trails:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UPWb-Xe6Y

Still running crazy fast on iOS. It can take more! O_o

Very exciting times for C2 mobile devs, we can essentially make a full blown PC quality game without fear of it running like a slideshow.

What about iphone 4s? Have you tried it? It's not so fast as ipad mini 2, but i thought that you need to support it to publish your game to appstore.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Sisyphus wrote:What about iphone 4s? Have you tried it? It's not so fast as ipad mini 2, but i thought that you need to support it to publish your game to appstore.

You don't need it to publish, you just need to be specific in your targeted device in the App description itself as well as the testing notes to Apple.

ie. Designed for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6/Plus and iPads with Retina Display.

They accept it if you are very clear about it.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:22 pm

@Silverforce Your game looks awesome! Good work!
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:30 pm

xanxion wrote:@Silverforce Your game looks awesome! Good work!

Thanks, it's been a learning process for a complete newbie. I was very inspired seeing The Next Penelope & Airscape. I didn't want to do too much since Star Nomad was originally designed to be a mobile game first, so performance was key.

I'm hoping to make Star Nomad 2 as presentable as some of the best PC/MAC 2D space games out there (and confident now it'll run well on iOS!)... it's a long way to go.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Silverforce wrote:You don't need it to publish, you just need to be specific in your targeted device in the App description itself as well as the testing notes to Apple.

ie. Designed for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6/Plus and iPads with Retina Display.

They accept it if you are very clear about it.

Wow, i didn't know that, thanks for the info.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General