Code support

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Comprehensive localization solution for Construct 3 projects, no addons required!
  • Hello everybody,

First of all, I'm extremely like C2, it's implementation and idea. And I want to thank its talented creators and its friendly community

For almost two decades I'm playing video games and I always wanted to make few. Being software developer for years I know how many things C2 hiding from ua, wrapping all that boring stuff, js flaws, math, management and browser specific issues. That's amazing!

I'm curious, is there any plans (maybe for C3 everybody is talking about) to add a programming support? Not only as plugins, but inside of IDE?

Source files. methods, reusability, optimization, arrays, source control, monospace font!

Again, being developer I know how powerful raw-text code is. It's not an accident that all professionals eventually prefers pure text tools, command line interfaces, etc. Obviously, IDEs and GUIs are great at helping and essential for beginners. But there is a big difference between "no programming required" and "no programming available at all" products.

Sorry for this outcry, but I'm really like C2 and I want to stick with it, so I really need a hope that one day I will be able to code there, not only writing giant expressions in tiny text boxes.

It really feels like it is fairly easy to do, at least at some extend, as C2 already supports a lot to evaluate and highlight expressions. Few keywords, methods creations, distinction between classes and instances and reference documents...

Anyway, thanks for product!

Update: examples from my later post, how coded events can look like: [attachment=1:2ju19hjj][/attachment:2ju19hjj]

• I think that this makes sense for things that require a great deal of nested code, as the events can start to get tricky when trying to make a simple procedural/functional kind of loop, although generally the event system does great for me, so they might not do what they did with CC (it had optional Python support in addition to events)

• Must say, that I evaluated event system and I'm really impressed how flexible and powerful it is. But still, nothing can be more rapid and clean than raw code

• Must say, that I evaluated event system and I'm really impressed how flexible and powerful it is. But still, nothing can be more rapid and clean than raw code

I disagree. Well designed plugins pluse better gui event editor environment will be more clean than raw code.

• Why change the product? It's great because it is how it is. There are plenty of coding solutions out there. I'm also a developer BTW.

• Ashley's whole ethos for C2 was an event-driven system - this is what makes it stand-out.

THE discussion over adding coding has been done to death, many times, and Ashley has always come out against it. Must we cover the same old tired arguments again?

• I don't want to argue how useful it will be. As Zenox wrote — it was discussed many times before.

My question was — is there any plans to do it? As it seems to be fairly easy from one side and can attract new people, without ruining and affecting current approach.

• I don't want to argue how useful it will be. As Zenox wrote — it was discussed many times before.

My question was — is there any plans to do it? As it seems to be fairly easy from one side and can attract new people, without ruining and affecting current approach.

No, the next major update will be to improve the editor/UI itself rather than engine or other features.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/155/the-future-of-construct

Yeah, some people can get bit stroppy prety quick.... sorry about that.

I doubt that what your asking is planned, however I hope that Ashley will put some kind of sticky vote/suggest topic up at some stage for C3 features.

But I think it is too soon for anyone to say what C3 will, or won't have.

And by the way, welcome to the world of Construct....

• No, there's no plan to do it - the whole point of Construct 2 is that there isn't any programming like that.

• welcome to the world of Construct....

Many thanks!

No, there's no plan to do it

Thank you for quick turnover.

It is pity, that it isn't planned, but, maybe, I'm just afraid to not have what I'm used to.

Actually, if editor plugin system will be introduced in C3 it can be done there

• No, there's no plan to do it - the whole point of Construct 2 is that there isn't any programming like that.

That's not entirely true.

You can use the SDK if, like me, you really like coding. There's nothing stopping you from doing everything but the highest-level coding in raw javascript.

If you're really patient, you can bypass the event system entirely, though I don't recommend you do it. check it out!

With C3 it seems we'll be getting an editor SDK, so you'll get even more bang for your buck.

• Because if you want to use code, you can use something like Game Maker Studio.

If you want use real programming, there Unity Free, or Unreal Engine 4 for just $19...

Construct is perfect to play and prototypes, but if you want to do something more serious there way better options.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Code in C2? Sure you can...use the plugin system!

Seriously though, that's the way to go about it. If you are trying to do something that is proving difficult/overly tedious in events, encapsulate it as a plugin (or a function).

Think of events as a sort of 'Super Flow Chart' that orchestrates the interactions between modular bits of code in an intelligent, context sensitive way, making it possible to design your game and experiment with mechanics more rapidly.

I've seen a number of people complain that C2 can be initially difficult for people used to coding. Going the other way, it's a pretty easy transition though.

• Being able to actually just type out the events is all I could dream of. Clicking on GUIs is tedious, especially when dealing with a lot of events such as manipulating and checking through 2d arrays. Being able to simply type what is already there and having the ability to copy paste and reuse the code (events) in a less awkward way would be amazing.

I don't need other language support (lua, python, etc) -- and I don't even need access to the javascript. Just the exact wording of the events in its own script. (could call it CScript, or EScript or whatever) as an alternative to:

click add event > click Sprite > Click is on-screen. as oppsed to simply typing: Sprite1 Is on-screen.

Maybe that isn't the best example, but the point is it would be nice to be able to have freedom with the current event system.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)