Code support

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:39 pm

michael wrote:welcome to the world of Construct....

Many thanks!

Ashley wrote:No, there's no plan to do it

Thank you for quick turnover.
It is pity, that it isn't planned, but, maybe, I'm just afraid to not have what I'm used to.

Actually, if editor plugin system will be introduced in C3 it can be done there ;)
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Ashley wrote:No, there's no plan to do it - the whole point of Construct 2 is that there isn't any programming like that.

That's not entirely true.
You can use the SDK if, like me, you really like coding. There's nothing stopping you from doing everything but the highest-level coding in raw javascript.

If you're really patient, you can bypass the event system entirely, though I don't recommend you do it. check it out!

With C3 it seems we'll be getting an editor SDK, so you'll get even more bang for your buck.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:02 pm

Because if you want to use code, you can use something like Game Maker Studio.
If you want use real programming, there Unity Free, or Unreal Engine 4 for just $19...
Construct is perfect to play and prototypes, but if you want to do something more serious there way better options.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:34 pm

Code in C2? Sure you can...use the plugin system!

Seriously though, that's the way to go about it. If you are trying to do something that is proving difficult/overly tedious in events, encapsulate it as a plugin (or a function).

Think of events as a sort of 'Super Flow Chart' that orchestrates the interactions between modular bits of code in an intelligent, context sensitive way, making it possible to design your game and experiment with mechanics more rapidly.

I've seen a number of people complain that C2 can be initially difficult for people used to coding. Going the other way, it's a pretty easy transition though.
Don't lose your work. Backup your game with Dropbox.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Being able to actually just type out the events is all I could dream of. Clicking on GUIs is tedious, especially when dealing with a lot of events such as manipulating and checking through 2d arrays. Being able to simply type what is already there and having the ability to copy paste and reuse the code (events) in a less awkward way would be amazing.

I don't need other language support (lua, python, etc) -- and I don't even need access to the javascript. Just the exact wording of the events in its own script. (could call it CScript, or EScript or whatever) as an alternative to:

click add event > click Sprite > Click is on-screen. as oppsed to simply typing: Sprite1 Is on-screen.

Maybe that isn't the best example, but the point is it would be nice to be able to have freedom with the current event system.
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:00 am

I want something in-between. At the moment you can 'almost' type your code using keyboard shortcuts and the existing incremental matching (i.e. you start typing 'burg' and it matches 'burgerSprite' in the narrowing list of objects) but it is still a fair way off, and yet tantalizingly close..

I'm sure you know this, but when typing free form code you open yourself up to all the associated issues (typos, syntax errors, tab alignment, etc. etc)

But right now in C2, you can type:

"E"
"sys" <enter>
"compare v" <enter>
"VVV" <enter>
<Tab> ">"
<Tab> 23
<Enter>

"A"
"sys" <enter>
"Set ob" <Enter>
<Enter> "Spr"
<Tab> "0.0" <Enter>

to get

System | Variable3 > 23 -> System | Set Sprite time scale to 0.0

Not a single click* :D Don't laugh! It's very close to being quite usable but there are some horrible gotchas that make it frustrating to use, although I do quite often just to avoid millіons of mouse clicks. Yes I know, you're asking for code support don't shoot me down (I love writing code too) but I'm just saying this is kind of ok.

As I've said before, I came to C2 specifically to get away from code, but everyone has a different viewpoint.

*ok so I had to click on an existing event to be able to press "E" and "A" in the first place
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:19 am

@codah I get what you are saying and I like what you are on to. I agree -- and I can even say I do not even have a need to actually code the events. Something along the lines of what you are talking about sounds great too! I think we can agree that having to click 4 dialog windows deep to do one simple thing gets old.

Although the one thing that your post doesn't address is still the reusing of evens and event blocks. Or that nasty little pop up that tells you that you certain events cannot be pasted because of blah.

Even though I am a coder I can easily admit that the event system is fantastic -- but the event system needs SOME way or improvements to more rapid development and re-usability. I genuinely think this is something that can be accomplished without having to code as you point out. I am open to anything.
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:50 am

I did it :D
I can write code and manipulate the object from JS file code... just because I'm awesome.
I'm planning to use it as an easier way to write quick direct less intensive plugins. As my import model only let's it run in the VM :(
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:22 am

Why stop there?
Ok Google, hit that button there and make a platform game for me... kthnks
Also, hey Siri , please notify me when the neural interface is ready.

Im just happy to be without all the crap syntax, but if you wanted to go deeper, it would nice if even the expressions were less syntax sensitive.
Like you click lerp, it asks for a, b, and c.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:34 am

Twinsonian wrote:I think we can agree that having to click 4 dialog windows deep to do one simple thing gets old.

Amen to that. I would love for C3 to address this kind of thing, and being an editor overhaul, it's actually on topic!

Twinsonian wrote:Although the one thing that your post doesn't address is still the reusing of evens and event blocks. Or that nasty little pop up that tells you that you certain events cannot be pasted because of blah.

Yeah I strategically ignored that :| Well, the nasty popups are valid aren't they, because you're trying to do something illegal. As far as re-use, you can already copy/paste (with some annoyances) and I'd argue re-use using Functions is a better idea (but yeah I know what you're saying).

Twinsonian wrote:Even though I am a coder I can easily admit that the event system is fantastic -- but the event system needs SOME way or improvements to more rapid development and re-usability. I genuinely think this is something that can be accomplished without having to code as you point out. I am open to anything.

newt wrote:Im just happy to be without all the crap syntax, but if you wanted to go deeper, it would nice if even the expressions were less syntax sensitive.
Like you click lerp, it asks for a, b, and c.

Yeah C2 is in a weird place between total non coders and geniuses like jayderyu :lol: (that's a compliment)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General