Code support

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:49 am

I am not sure why users ask for pure text code editor inside C2, not ask for improving the gui of event sheet.

Assume that Ashely finally built a pure text code editor, then users might ask
- why not add highline
- why not add autocomplete
- why not add symbol window
- why not add call graphs or class tree diagrams

sourceinsight

Okey, now users have a more powerful pure code editor with a lot of aid gui, and it will look like.... an event sheet.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:17 am

Twinsonian wrote:Being able to actually just type out the events is all I could dream of. Clicking on GUIs is tedious, especially when dealing with a lot of events such as manipulating and checking through 2d arrays. Being able to simply type what is already there and having the ability to copy paste and reuse the code (events) in a less awkward way would be amazing.

I don't need other language support (lua, python, etc) -- and I don't even need access to the javascript. Just the exact wording of the events in its own script.

Hi Twinsonian, this is exactly what I meant, no need of low level code system, at least managing same events in a text way.

rexrainbow wrote:Assume that Ashely finally built a pure text code editor, then users might ask
- why not add highline
- why not add autocomplete
- why not add symbol window
- why not add call graphs or class tree diagrams

All these already available in tiny expression text boxes.

I created a small example, how to it can look like in my opinion, I've took events block from "Make a Match-3 Game in Construct 2: Animations and Block Swapping" by David Silverman:
C2Code.png
Reading and managing events like these would be much more efficient, I think. At least for me.

In upper example I've just mimic events structure, but we can simplify it more:
C2Code2.png
Try to count, how many dialogs you should go through to make those graphical events :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:38 pm

Interesting.
What if instead of typing out if, or some other conditional we could just click an icon, and do away with all the syntax?
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:48 pm

anpur wrote:I created a small example, how to it can look like in my opinion, I've took events block from "Make a Match-3 Game in Construct 2: Animations and Block Swapping" by David Silverman:
C2Code.png
Reading and managing events like these would be much more efficient, I think. At least for me.

In upper example I've just mimic events structure, but we can simplify it more:
C2Code2.png
Try to count, how many dialogs you should go through to make those graphical events :)

I'd love for this to exist - C2's simple syntax with editable, auto-completing, line by line code.

As easy as the visual system is, on complex projects it just feels like there's too much noise, and having to drag around a mouse and click everywhere somehow seems slower than just typing to me.

People aren't asking for in-engine JS or HTML, just a text alternative - with all the hard locks that the block system has.

I completely understand why it goes against the image C2/3 is trying to convey, but this is my "why can't C2 do 3D" guilty wish.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:24 pm

@anpur
Just to point out, the same simplifications you did by typing can be done in events by using families.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:10 pm

@anpur fantastic! That would be sooooo amazing.
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:24 pm

-1 for me. There will be biases depending on the language(s) you've come from and nobody will agree on any of it. For instance I already don't like the format you have described. Where's my curly braces? :lol: And I can see the religious debates about tab indenting already... I'm just glad Ashley has no time to do any of this . And as @R0J0hound said, it can be simplified anyway so reducing your click count hugely :) Lastly, you have some typo's (which is a lot harder to do in the current system). Right now I'm already typing probably 80% of my code, I'd just be happy to get that to 99% :D

*Just saying if Ashley could click a finger and have code support, I'd have nothing against it (as I could ignore it if I wished, as long as the GUI features didn't suffer) and I would probably even dip into it from time to time. It might be interesting to hit the 'view source' button occasionally :) But in the real world, I wouldn't want all that manpower diverted to it.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:05 am

@anpur

You had missed something in this too simple example-
1. how to get the object reference (i.e. object name + SOL)? It might be more then 10 or 100 object types in the project.
2. how to get the function name (i.e. action name) or member name (i.e. expression)? Each kind of object type might has a lot of members (functions). And the input parameters of these functions...

It is not true that pure text coding is easy than gui event.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:26 am

eh. The Event Sheet system has the benefit of making the way we program so much better. The draw back to the ES system now is how C2 requires so much over head to make the system interact with C2. If it was easy to just pre-tag information and then C2/C3 could interpret that for the ES system. Then I think more people would jump on board with the entire ES system.

Code would be written as a form of classes, but not directly related to game functionality.
ES would be the glue between it all. This would increase overall development. But as it is. the SDK ACE system is heavy.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:18 am

I say nope.
Because I would prefer to see Ashley work on a thousand of different things instead. The reason? He's the only one working on C2. I wish they would hire more people but apparently it is hard to find a good one. Maybe it could just be him having high demands on "same mind" and do not want to lose time to "synch".
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General