codename Ricochet: hack n slash platformer like ninja gaiden

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:06 pm

Keep up the good work; looks like it's coming along nicely.
B
S

Post » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:17 am

Thanks @ShinobiSlash :)
I've been working on figuring out a suitable control scheme. Controls can be customized, but the default needs to feel right. I've wanted to keep it limited to two buttons in addition to the direction keys.
In designing the control scheme, I've been thinking about the relationships between fingers and the dexterity and endurance each have. How a person might resort to using one over another in most cases, and designating that finger for either the primary or secondary key.
With various mechanics involved, and having to do more than one thing at once, there is a coordination involved- the mind sends instructions, and if the control scheme isn't good, the signals might cross and fingers press wrong keys, etc.
So I've been working on splitting things appropriately to prevent this from happening.
At the moment, I have the index finger controlling the attacking. The middle finger controlling the grappling, and then the other hand controlling movement/jumping/boosting.
I'll continue to gauge the controls to see if this is a good scheme. I know that controls can be sometimes difficult to teach to new players, so I'm keeping that in mind.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Worked some more on background design. Using shadow for aesthetic, and tiling purposes. Thinking ahead about assets so I don't overwhelm myself. Need to design a smart order for the tiling- I'm starting to get a feel for it.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:40 am

How about - wasd (for movement), mouse left, mouse right, and space for buttons?
Broomstick Delivery Feedback wanted
https://melaniko.itch.io/broomstick-delivery works best with Chrome
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:18 am

I think the way I currently have the controls work well. But, I'll keep that in mind, @melaniko . What I prefer is keeping the controls to one device, and not split between keyboard and mouse. Keeping it contained to one device also makes menu navigation more intuitive.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:17 pm

Good looking art! You draw very well.
Have a happy day!
- Markus Lappalainen, Composer & Audio Engineer
Open for commissions!

For Hire Thread | LinkedIn | SoundCloud
B
S

Post » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:56 am